Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CGS: Getting in honeypot

Author Topic: CGS: Getting in  (Read 15801 times)

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
CGS: Getting in
« on: Aug 11, 2013, 11:34 »
Hello all.  Nuke ET 6-and-out-er getting out in April 2014 stationed in GA looking for any information on what can be done to get in specifically at Columbia Generating Station. 

Trying to get the old "foot in door."  Beside my time in the navy, I have no relevant education or experience.  Were I single, the focus would be going to school and then getting into nuke-ops.

Seems like a large % of forum posters are acclimated to the SE or NE regions, making CGS kind of the odd plant out.
The last post that had any info on CGS was about a year ago, in the facility info thread.  Since I had little luck there,
I decided to try and revive the subject here.  Even sent PM's to some users who knew about CGS, as evidenced by their very old posts and nothing.
I have read many instances in this forum where someone did some research, made a post and got some answers he needed from some very experienced guys who are here to help.  Hoping that will be the case here.  THANK YOU in advance.

EO is preferred but willing to start anywhere and work up. Already
emailed HR and they just sent me their recruiter's number.  Emailed him, politely describing my
background and situation and that I'd be a good fit for certain openings in the future.  Also emailed the
ops training manager.  Neither has not responded and it has been weeks.
If that was a mistake, please tell me how that can be corrected, if it can be at this point.
I've also applied for two positions there via company website, I&C Tech and mechanic.

My interest in CGS is due simply to the fact that I am originally from the NW region.  Half the reason my spouse,
kids and I are choosing to get out of the military is a growing need to be closer to family.
We are open to and have done research/applied on non-nuclear options such as cogen, wind, etc., but nuclear
shows the most promise/job security.  If the previous statement is wrong, please do not hesitate to tell
me I'm dead-ass wrong and need to look somewhere else. 

Am I significantly hurting myself by limiting my nuke-ops search to one plant alone?
Is my EAOS(end of contract) just too far in the future to be sending out resumes and making phone calls to this place?
Will my geographical distance from the area hurt my chances even though I'm moving out west regardless?

Any info including advice, contact numbers, emails would be greatly appreciated even if it's in "a-hole" format.  I'm fluent in A-hole.  :)
Have a great day.

Josh

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: CGS: Getting in
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2013, 03:27 »
Yes, you're too far from EAOS. Yes, you're hurting yourself by focusing on one plant. If their hiring cycle doesn't line up with your EAOS, youre shit out of luck.

That said, a six and outer with no other experience and education isn't the shoe in that it used to be. With power plants shutting down and experienced people looking for work, and more and more college grads with no where else to turn, competition is high.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2013, 03:34 »
Also, just keep an eye on their job boards.

http://www.energy-northwest.com/whoweare/joinourteam/Pages/Careers.aspx

If there's an opening that you're qualified for, apply. The people that you emailed aren't going to respond in this day and age, to random emails from people not "in the system."

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2013, 07:08 »
If their hiring cycle doesn't line up with your EAOS, youre shit out of luck. 

Exactly right.  I was hoping this post would attract someone who knows about their hiring cycle, although that far into the future no one
probably knows.
Also, I've seen you offer in other posts to critique resumes.  Would you mind if I pm you mine?

By the way, one of the company guys I emailed actually reviewed my linkedin profile.  Will be trying to connect.

Oh and thanks for taking the time to reply all together.

Josh

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2013, 02:35 »
Sure you can PM me for my email address.

Justin

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2013, 05:32 »
pm sent.  no address necessary.  Thanks.

Offline turkeypoint1967

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2013, 04:15 »
You might also contact a tech named xxxx xxxxx.  He seems to have the inside track.

Please PM the name we prefer not to use names in the public forum:

7. Peoples name's: It's a bad idea to use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don't use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013, 04:28 by Marlin »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2013, 04:30 »
Are you going to be living around there?  They bring locals in for laborer type contract jobs.  It is a great way to meet people who could hire you on later full time in the dept. you want to work in.  They usually bring in some newbies every outage.  I don't know who the company is or who to contact but you could probably find that.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2013, 04:45 »
You might also contact a tech named xxxx xxxxx.  He seems to have the inside track.

Please PM the name we prefer not to use names in the public forum:

7. Peoples name's: It's a bad idea to use them, they lead to law suits. Some names are already censored because of this. Don't use names in stories or messages that could in any way be taken wrong.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

+K for being helpful  ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:05 »
Are you going to be living around there?  They bring locals in for laborer type contract jobs.  It is a great way to meet people who could hire you on later full time in the dept. you want to work in.  They usually bring in some newbies every outage.  I don't know who the company is or who to contact but you could probably find that.

The laborers used to be direct hire temporary employees for Energy Northwest.  I assume that's still how they are doing it.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2013, 10:11 »
CGS is looking to hire approximately 15 EOs for their next class.  The announcement will hit the job board sometime in Jan with an anticipated class-up in June.  They are looking for a combination of folks, some with nuclear technology degrees (AS) and some ex-navy.  If your EAOS is right around the class-up date, you might fit the bill.  For those looking to get in, keep your eye on the Energy Northwest website. 
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:23 »
The laborers used to be direct hire temporary employees for Energy Northwest.  I assume that's still how they are doing it.

That is correct....however our next outage isnt until spring of 2015.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2013, 08:11 »
CGS is looking to hire approximately 15 EOs for their next class.  The announcement will hit the job board sometime in Jan with an anticipated class-up in June.  They are looking for a combination of folks, some with nuclear technology degrees (AS) and some ex-navy.  If your EAOS is right around the class-up date, you might fit the bill.  For those looking to get in, keep your eye on the Energy Northwest website. 

Is Schaak still out there?

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2013, 11:13 »
Im assuming you are talking about Mike Schaack.....and yes. Equipment Operator

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2013, 03:53 »
Tell Mike that Bru from A1W D said hello. Mike could do scary imitations of nearly every alarm in the plant.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2013, 04:06 »
Yeah....he is still performing those imitations on a frequent basis.

Offline dreamingthedream

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:11 »
I too am looking at CGS as a potential option. I currently work in Mechanical Maintenance in a nuke out east and I'm considering a change. What's the atmosphere like at Columbia? Do they hire from other nuclear operating companies? This would be a long move for me and my family, but it would position us closer to family in the region, which is very important to me and my wife. Any information that anyone could offer will be greatly appreciated.

Offline cypher89

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2013, 06:39 »
I believe our next Equipment operator class will be posted to hire sometime the first half of 2014.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2013, 06:41 by cypher89 »

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:17 »
Hey all.  A lot has happened since I started this topic over five months ago. 
ENW recently published that EO opening that everyone has been saying was coming, so I applied. 
My EAOS is in April but I start terminal 2/20.  Wondering if there is anything I can do or anyone I can contact to help my chances.

Thank you in advance.

Josh

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?