Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Going into ops - is it possible to get back into engineering? honeypot

Author Topic: Going into ops - is it possible to get back into engineering?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline karlybaba

• Very Lite User
I have an offer as an EO and also another offer as an engineer in an unrelated field at a medium sized firm.  The EO position seems really attractive, plenty of hands on experience, good hours, and more than fair compensation, but I want to get back into engineering within 5 years. I was just wondering what type of opportunities there are and if it's even possible for me to get back into engineering, get a PE and a masters etc. Ops is something I can do now, but in 5 years I don't think I'm going to want to be under that sort of stress with the odd schedules and long days and such.
Any advice or opinions are welcome.
Thank you.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Engineering can also have long hours and stress.  Yes, you can put in for other positions and having a Ops background would help.  If you get a Licens it will be very hard to get away from Ops.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
It's possible, but it could be difficult depending on the staffing levels at the plant.  Like Jams said, once you get into Ops it's really hard to get out!

Good luck!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?