Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Non Engineering Applicant honeypot

Author Topic: Non Engineering Applicant  (Read 9915 times)

Offline gdavis

• Very Lite User
Non Engineering Applicant
« on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:57 »
Hello, I currently hold a BS in Mathematics with a 3.67 GPA. I have the year of physics that is required and of course the math requirement. All of my math courses are As and a few Bs and nothing but As in Physics. I don't see many non-engineering degree holders come through here so I was wondering about a few things:

Am I a competitive applicant for NUPOC even though my degree isn't in engineering?

Also, I have already been invited on the NVIP trip and scheduled a phone interview, should those be signs pointing to my competitiveness or are these steps that every applicant gets to?

Thanks for the information.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2013, 08:10 by gdavis »

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
Re: Non Engineering Applicant
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:03 »
Hello, I currently hold a BS in Mathematics with a 3.67 GPA. I have the year of physics that is required and of course the math requirement. All of my math courses are As and a few Bs and nothing but As in Physics. I don't see many non-engineering degree holders come through here so I was wondering about a few things:

Am I a competitive applicant even though my degree isn't in engineering?

Also, I have already been invited on the NVIP trip and scheduled a phone interview, should those be signs pointing to my competitiveness or are these steps that every applicant gets to?

Thanks for the information.

One question for you.  What are you applying for, commercial or military?  I am assuming military but just wanted to make sure.

Offline gdavis

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:10 »
Applying for NUPOC. Sorry, didn't notice that I left that out.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2013, 10:44 »
If you've getting VIP trip, then that's a good indication that you have enough of a background for them to spend some time on you.  The scholastic requirements are the calculus, calc-based physics and GPA.  If you've checked the boxes on those three items, I'd start working on the paperwork and studying the study guide and reviewing your calculus and physics.

Offline gdavis

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2013, 02:09 »
Ok. The only reason I ask is because most of the people I see on here are ME or Nuc. E and I looked at the study guide with a blank stare once I got past the Calculus and Physics sections.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2013, 04:29 »
Non-technical major here.

They will only ask you questions from sections that you have studied formally in school. I had to integrate like 1/2x^2 or something silly like that. You're a math major so your questions could be quite a bit more involved than that, but you won't have to solve a circuit diagram or do a complex thermodynamics problem if you haven't taken any EE or ME courses.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2013, 04:41 »

They will only ask you questions from sections that you have studied formally in school. I had to integrate like 1/2x^2 or something silly like that. You're a math major so your questions could be quite a bit more involved than that, but you won't have to solve a circuit diagram or do a complex thermodynamics problem if you haven't taken any EE or ME courses.

SIR BEDEVERE:  And that, my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.
ARTHUR:  This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere.  Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
BEDEVERE:  Oh, certainly, sir.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline klj3827

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:13 »

I was a math major and got asked to solve a circuit diagram and reason out the answer to a thermo problem. I took neither class in college. Most of the interviewers aren't familiar with higher-level mathematics.

That being said, don't waste time trying to learn every topic in all engineering disciplines. I informed the interviewers I was not familiar with either topic and they wanted to see if I could reason my way through the answer. It's about demonstrating your ability to solve problems and think under pressure vice a regurgitation of every problem/fact you learned in college.

Offline gdavis

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:48 »
Ok, so essentially just be ready to think on my feet and attempt to solve problems even if I'm winging it?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2013, 11:03 »
SIR BEDEVERE:  And that, my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.
ARTHUR:  This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere.  Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
BEDEVERE:  Oh, certainly, sir.
  ;D

Offline dpt620

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2013, 09:13 »
Not to hijack this thread, but my question is just an add on to this so I figured this would be easier than making a new thread..

Is it possible for Non-engineering applicants (Math major, 3.83 GPA) to be selected Naval Reactors (from ROTC)?
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 09:26 by dpt620 »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Re: Non Engineering Applicant
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:01 »
Not to hijack this thread, but my question is just an add on to this so I figured this would be easier than making a new thread..

Is it possible for Non-engineering applicants (Math major, 3.83 GPA) to be selected Naval Reactors (from ROTC)?
NROTC commissions URL officers so no. Only way of not going URL is to be physically DQ.

Offline dpt620

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:25 »
everything I've heard is that 10-15 top candidates are commissioned through NR as an exception (both anecdotal and through NROTC officers at different units, similar policy to medical corps)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 12:27 by dpt620 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:36 »

They will only ask you questions from sections that you have studied formally in school.

Again.... you are wrong.....

When I did these interviews, I asked every candidate the same questions.... regardless of what their transcript said.

The interviewer is free to ask whatever he/she feels like!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:36 »
NROTC commissions URL officers so no. Only way of not going URL is to be physically DQ.

Incorrect.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2013, 12:40 »
Again.... you are wrong.....

When I did these interviews, I asked every candidate the same questions.... regardless of what their transcript said.

The interviewer is free to ask whatever he/she feels like!
There is a disconnect between your office and recruiters then. I was specifically instructed not to study anything beyond the basic calc and physics problems in the gouge packet because that is all I had studied. I also remember seeing the technical course condensed transcript to check for errors before we started the interviews. The questions I got asked in my interviews were directly out of those sections. A couple guys got what they thought were curveballs but they were engineering majors.

I know you can't say but I'm curious what you asked that would equally challenge all majors.

Also I should clarify that when I was talking circuits in my head I was picturing something more complex than applying Ohms law, kirchoffs law, and Lorenz's laws that you cover in physics 2.

Offline klj3827

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:10 »

They took a math major out of ROTC 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 08:29 by klj3827 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?