Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Northwest Jobs for Ex Navy Nuke?  

Author Topic: Northwest Jobs for Ex Navy Nuke?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Brelywi

• Lurker
Northwest Jobs for Ex Navy Nuke?
« on: Sep 10, 2013, 09:39 »
Hey, new poster here.

I'm a 24 year old ex navy nuke.  I went through the pipeline, and then got pregnant with twins during ELT school.  I did graduate ELT school, but I had to get out since my husband was in as well and we didn't have anyone to put down for our FCP.  Anyway, I am going to graduate from Thomas Edison's Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology program (with an associate's in Mechanical Maintenance) within the next year.

We would ideally like to live in Oregon, near Portland (or, at least, on the west side of the mountains) after my husband gets out in a year and a half.  Can anyone point me in the direction of some good jobs in that area that would use my degree and experience?  Ideally it would be something nuclear-related, since that pays better and that is what I would like to do with my life.  I've been looking around, and NuScale is down there; I would love to work for them, since I think the idea of a SMR is fantastic, but it looks like they're only hiring engineers with experience.  Also, Energy Northwest has a nuclear plant near there, but it's 3 hours from where we want to live and that doesn't sound like a commute I'd like to make all the time.

I know most of you have a lot of experience in this field, what would you recommend?  I really appreciate any help and/or advice.  Thanks!

Offline Brelywi

• Lurker
Re: Northwest Jobs for Ex Navy Nuke?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:57 »
Thought I'd bump this, in case there are some new people here who would be willing to give their thoughts on this.  Thanks!

Offline RadRooster

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:13 »
Look into NuScale, they are based in Portland with offices in Corvallis. Small(ish) company working with DOE to develop small PWR reactors. Seems to me they are just getting up and going so in a year and a half they might be looking for people to staff the projects. Good luck.

http://www.nuscalepower.com/

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:37 »
You should know this but you might try going to a site like Indeed and search for Radiation Safety Officer. Every university, hospital, or company with a radioactive materials license has one and sometimes has assistants as well.  That is your only bet if you want to stay in Portland.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?