Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUKE Sub vs NR  

Author Topic: NUKE Sub vs NR  (Read 5412 times)

Offline JuicyBurger

• Lurker
NUKE Sub vs NR
« on: Sep 11, 2013, 08:32 »
I read a similar thread on here discussing the same topic, but I'm not sure it answered my questions. I've also researched it online and talked to a few friends I know who just got out of prototype, but again they don't really know.

So I guess I'm stuck in a position where I don't know if I want to join the Navy, or if I do which path I will take. I've been out of school for a year and a half now, I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 4.0 GPA. I've been working at a civilian start up company that's going to run out of money, so I'm stuck looking for another job or joining the Navy (a path that my friends in the Navy are recommending).

Originally I thought that Sub Nuke was what I'd want out of the officer choices, but then I found out about the NR and Instructor positions I could go into. So I guess I'm looking for more information on the NR path as compared to Sub Nuke in terms of what you learn and what you can do with it once you get out.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Offline Wojo

• Gold Member
Re: NUKE Sub vs NR
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:12 »
Please take what I say with a grain of salt since it has been 30 years since I stepped on a submarine but back when I was in, I seem to remember that the officers selected for NR duty were taken from the Fleet.  Consequently, I don't believe that you have a choice.  You will be nuke-qualified.  If you don't volunteer for submarines (which I believe is still something you have to volunteer for), then you will be assigned to a power-plant on a carrier.  Aftertime in the Fleet, you may then be given the opportunity for billets in NR or prototype as part of your shore rotation.  As I said, things could have changed since I have been out but that is how I remember it working.
Lost my boots in transit, pile of smokin leather, nailed the retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather - J Garcia

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:19 »
Please take what I say with a grain of salt since it has been 30 years since I stepped on a submarine but back when I was in, I seem to remember that the officers selected for NR duty were taken from the Fleet.  Consequently, I don't believe that you have a choice.  You will be nuke-qualified.  If you don't volunteer for submarines (which I believe is still something you have to volunteer for), then you will be assigned to a power-plant on a carrier.  Aftertime in the Fleet, you may then be given the opportunity for billets in NR or prototype as part of your shore rotation.  As I said, things could have changed since I have been out but that is how I remember it working.
You are wrong.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Wojo

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:53 »
You are wrong.

Okay, I am wrong, and.....................?

If I am wrong, at least give they guy the straight scoop.
Lost my boots in transit, pile of smokin leather, nailed the retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather - J Garcia

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2013, 02:59 »
Okay, I am wrong, and.....................?

If I am wrong, at least give they guy the straight scoop.
If the OP uses the search function, then he will get the answers he desires.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2013, 08:46 »
So I guess I'm looking for more information on the NR path as compared to Sub Nuke in terms of what you learn and what you can do with it once you get out.
What do you want to do with it when you get out?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?