Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Beta Spectroscopy  

Author Topic: Beta Spectroscopy  (Read 7715 times)

Offline MrNrge

• Light User
Beta Spectroscopy
« on: Sep 12, 2013, 12:13 »

Is there a product that will analize a beta spectrum that is not liquid scintillation?
Bench top portable would be nice also
It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Beta Spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2013, 10:53 »
That's a beta detector, not a spectrum analyzer.  There is a reason you have heard of Gamma Spec, and Alpha Spec, and not Beta Spec.  Beta decay is variable, with a maximum and an average energy.  Where Gamma's decay at the same energy every time.  So, you can't Identify the nuclide that decayed by beta.

You can hook up a beta detector to an instrument that tells you what energy it is detected at, but it would be mostly useless.

A tray of shields to determine end point energy and the half life is the Fred Flintstone methodology the analyzer was an ELT 1.0.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2013, 11:38 »
A tray of shields to determine end point energy  and the half life is the Fred Flintstone methodology the analyzer was an ELT 1.0.

Sometimes known as a Calibrated Absorber Set.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:37 »
Google search came up with this

http://www.phywe.com/461/pid/30666/title/Beta-spectroscopy.htm

Don't know a thing about it or if it works but it fits a benchtop

sf

Offline MrNrge

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2015, 09:54 »
yes, I believe that we called it the feather analysis when I was in  the Navy.
It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Offline roosterfitz

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2015, 05:28 »
An extrapolation chamber would probably be the most appropriate instrument for this application. Good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?