Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Next Nuclear Reactor May Arrive Hauled by a Truck honeypot

Author Topic: The Next Nuclear Reactor May Arrive Hauled by a Truck  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
The Next Nuclear Reactor May Arrive Hauled by a Truck

THE first commercial nuclear plant in the United States, commissioned in 1957, was just a scaled-up version of the reactors that powered submarines, and for decades afterward engineers made them bigger and bigger to maximize economies of scale.

But the hot idea now is to think small — small enough to fit a reactor on a railroad car or even a heavy-haul truck.

Such a reactor could be built in a factory, sidestepping the problems of assuring high-quality fabrication in the field and allowing fast installation. And such reactors would have a built-in safety feature: in an emergency, natural convection could help a small core cool faster than a big one, just the way a cup of coffee cools faster than a pot of coffee. Proponents say that makes meltdowns far less likely.

“They offer the potential for a new paradigm in how we think about construction of nuclear power plants,” Peter B. Lyons, the Energy Department’s assistant secretary for nuclear energy, said of the so-called small modular reactors, also known as S.M.R.’s. He is supervising a program under which the government will pay up to half of the development cost of two different models. One manufacturer already has a contract to develop a plan for two small reactors in Tennessee.

Because the plants could be safer as well as faster and easier to install, they do not have to surpass big reactors in cost per kilowatt-hour, Mr. Lyons said in an interview. “If it is even equal, it is a winner,” he said. “If it’s better, it’s more than a winner.”

Rebecca Smith-Kevern, the Energy Department’s director for light water reactor deployment, estimated their cost at $800 million to $2 billion a unit, compared with $10 billion to $12 billion for a large reactor. “Basically they’re not a bet-the-farm proposition for a utility,” she said.

Small modular reactors could serve as “starter reactors” for countries that have no nuclear power now, no budget for a standard behemoth-size model and grids too weak to tolerate one anyway, proponents say. (Put a standard, 1,200-megawatt reactor on a small grid, and it could trigger a nationwide blackout every time it shut down unexpectedly.)

In addition to being small enough to ship, the reactors are small enough to be installed underground, offering the advantage of earthquake protection; buried structures are less vulnerable than those above the surface. They may also be easier to defend from attack.

And the ability to air-cool the reactors further distinguishes them from big nuclear plants, which, like coal and most natural gas plants that make steam to drive a turbine, require copious amounts of water to condense the steam back to water. S.M.R.’s make steam, like other reactors, but can condense it back to water using something a bit like a car radiator.

more at link below

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/business/energy-environment/the-next-nuclear-reactor-may-arrive-hauled-by-a-truck.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: The Next Nuclear Reactor May Arrive Hauled by a Truck
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2013, 01:52 »
they shood contact the u.s. army.  back in the dey, the army would move there small portable reactors around the world, setting them up, running them for awhile, terring them down, and repeat.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2013, 02:10 »
they shood contact the u.s. army.  back in the dey, the army would move there small portable reactors around the world, setting them up, running them for awhile, terring them down, and repeat.

And why was it they stopped letting the ARMY use reactors??????

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2013, 02:17 »
And why was it they stopped letting the ARMY use reactors??????

One little prompt criticality on a prototype portable reactor and they never let you forget it.  ;)

The SMRs aren't portables as such, think modular homes built at the factory and shipped in large sections to the permanent site.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:58 »
$2 billion for 180 mw ~$11/watt. Heck, even solar PV would be more cost effective. Or for the same money, a 3x1 combined cycle gas facility rated at 4x the output.

This thing will never be built.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2013, 09:11 »
$2 billion for 180 mw ~$11/watt. Heck, even solar PV would be more cost effective. Or for the same money, a 3x1 combined cycle gas facility rated at 4x the output.

This thing will never be built.

Dave the money and contracts have been awarded to B&W in the 2012 and 2013 budgets.

The mPower reactor is a 180-MW pressurized water reactor. B&W was awarded the first cost-sharing agreement under the DOE’s SMR development program in November 2012. B&W has teamed up with Bechtel and the Tennessee Valley Authority to design, license, and build a set of 2-6 mPower modules at TVA’s Clinch River site. B&W plans to submit its design certification application (DCA) to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission by the end of this year.

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/2013/03/21/update-and-perspective-on-smr-development/

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2013, 10:08 »
Ok, to clarify....no utility is going to order a $2 billion 180MW plant. B&G breakfast bet for the first taker.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2013, 04:01 »
Ok, to clarify....no utility is going to order a $2 billion 180MW plant. B&G breakfast bet for the first taker.

export

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2013, 05:27 »
export

If they can get anyone overseas to pay $2 billion for an $11/watt installed, 180 megawatt capacity plant, I'll up the bet to a supper at Lambert's Cafe, home of the Throwed Rolls! I could always stand another serving of fried okra on a paper towel  [nuke]

My hopes are for someone to do a 8-12 module NuScale, passive cooling under station blackout conditions will be a big selling point.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013, 05:33 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:18 »
If they can get anyone overseas to pay $2 billion for an $11/watt installed, 180 megawatt capacity plant, I'll up the bet to a supper at Lambert's Cafe, home of the Throwed Rolls! I could always stand another serving of fried okra on a paper towel  [nuke]

My hopes are for someone to do a 8-12 module NuScale, passive cooling under station blackout conditions will be a big selling point.

Cost to build will be comparable to current large reactors, probably less as installation time is less. Completion of one unit allows income while additional units are installed on site, that would make financing easier and operation more fluid as a maintenance and refueling could be done on one or two units while the other units make power. I don't see that much difference in cost (possibly cheaper).

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:36 »
   The SMRs aren't portables as such, think modular homes built at the factory and shipped in large sections to the permanent site.

You might be a Redneck Nukeworker if your new reactor arrives, and you get to help take the wheels off.   ;)

(With my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy!)

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:54 »
yinz must be a redneck nukeworker if your new reactor arrives, and you block it up then deflate the tires to save on taxes.

[my apologies to miss south carolina]
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2013, 09:55 by SloGlo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:58 »
You might be a Redneck Nukeworker if your new reactor arrives, and you get to help take the wheels off.   ;)

(With my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy!)

yinz must be a redneck nukeworker if your new reactor arrives, and you block it up then deflate the tires to save on taxes.

[my apologies to miss south carolina]

Hey! Hey! Hey!  :old: Is that Tennessee profiling because the prototype is going to be built here between the ridges.

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2013, 10:02 by Marlin »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2013, 10:51 »
Hey! Hey! Hey!  :old: Is that Tennessee profiling because the prototype is going to be built here between the ridges.

oh, know! just trying two show why aye should bee project manager.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:09 »
You might be a Redneck Nukeworker if your new reactor arrives, and you get to help take the wheels off.   ;)

Don't forget your hurricane strappin'!!!!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2013, 07:55 »
Tennessee rednecks prefer their tape come in Volunteer orange.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2013, 07:57 »
Tennessee rednecks prefer their tape come in Volunteer orange.

[OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?