Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO/AO/EO Study Guides
honeypot

Author Topic: NLO/AO/EO Study Guides  (Read 25103 times)

Offline Nukette

• Light User
NLO/AO/EO Study Guides
« on: Sep 27, 2013, 10:34 »
I recently accepted an offer as an EO starting the beginning of next year.  I have been running through the threads and getting a better idea of the daily routine and what type of work to expect.  There was one post with a bunch of website references to start studying before entering the program.  Unfortunately none of these sites are working anymore (maybe just my computer?).  Any suggestions on books to read or sites to look up?  I am going to get the DOE Fundamentals books for sure.  Thank you in advance!! 

Fermi2

Re: NLO/AO/EO Study Guides
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2013, 12:07 »
None of that crap will prepare you.

Willy

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2013, 09:52 »
I want to be better prepared for the job, and training it entails

PM sent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2013, 11:10 »
I want to be better prepared for the job, and training it entails

Almost all of the NLO training will center around plant specific information. Knowing the enthalpy for 600# steam might be helpful for one oolie question somewhere, but more NLO exam questions sound a lot more like "Describe the location of Motor Control Center B17, and list at least 3 of the loads on it". Component locations, loads and interlocks are the bulk of the material. Good luck!

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2013, 12:59 »
You have proven that you are competent enough to be taught and have the minimum requisite knowledge- that's what the POSS is for.  You'll be placed into a training program where you will be taught everything you need to know.  You will most likely not find any of that information from outside sources so just relax while you still have the time.  Save your drive to get a head start until you actually get to the plant and begin the training.  There will be more than enough opportunities for you to volunteer to do extra.

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2013, 03:58 »
Awesome, thank you all for the advice!  I am just excited to get started.

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2013, 03:23 »
Awesome, thank you all for the advice!  I am just excited to get started.

Congratulations on the job.  Now if you show this same amount of enthusiasm at the end of the training course as you have now, I will really be impressed.  It is easy for trainees to get slack with the studying as they go along and the next thing you know they are struggling to pass.  Don't kill yourself studying at the beginning and burn yourself out.  Pace yourself and make it to the end with good grades and good understanding.

Offline hogs

• Light User

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:17 »
Thank you so much!  i really do appreciate all of the help.   ;D

Offline johnnyhqle

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2013, 05:41 »
Usually during NLIT training the instructors should provide you an objective sheet at the beginning of class. USUALLY the objective sheet are what the quizzes and tests are gonna be based on. Usually during study time or after class I would take the objective sheet and type it up myself but include the answer/explanation under it. Before test days I would whip out my self made study guides and do a quick review.

Also don't be afraid to ask your classmates for help. Some people might have previous experience or a really good understanding of the fundamentals and can explain it better than the instructors can.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:05 »
The nonlicensed operator initial training is usually structured after NEI/INPO ACAD documents (See section 2).

Much of my curriculum in school covered the various DOE fundamentals handbook material.  Although the handbooks are a bit dry, it did prepare me well for fundamentals training.  Understanding the concepts before going in can only help.

Systems is a different beast as each plant has their own way of doing things.  It is less about concepts as it is familiarization.. but you won't have access to that until you are on-site.

In the mean time, see if you can join a local chapter of NAYGN.  Read about industrial accidents and how they could be prevented utilizing Human Performance tools.  Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima, Bhopal India and countless transporation accidents provide examples of how things can go wrong from accumulated errors.

As said before however... don't stress or get burned out on preparation.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:29 »
Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it!  I have been studying and reading the DOE Fundamentals Handbooks to refresh some things and try and get a basic understanding of what may come.  All of these links are helpful especially the ACAD.  Thanks again!

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:54 »
Screw NAYGN. Get an Industrial Operators Handbook, the best OE/Think like an operator book ever. I used to ask guys questions out of it.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:02 »
I tell you what might help.  If you can find any info about the specific plant you are going to, that would probably help.  Like knowing what components do what and where they are.  Big things like where the core spray pump is and the basic function of core spray.  You will get all that as an NLO, but when the instructor starts rattling off stuff it is helpful to already know a bit about the thing so you aren't reeling from the info.  A lot of it is visualization, so if you have a correct vague vision to start off with, it could help.  Coming from the Navy straight into NLO I had an idea about most stuff, but when they started talking refuel activities I totally got lost because I couldn't visualize what they heck they were talking about.  Even if you can't find info about the specific plant, you could just do basic research on a BWR or PWR and most of the stuff will fit.  Everyone has a fuel pool, right?  Well what are the basic functions of a fuel pool?  Stuff like that, gives you a basic "anchor point" to start learning from for each major system.  don't go too in depth though it will increase the chance you are learning incorrect information. 

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:55 »
Screw NAYGN. Get an Industrial Operators Handbook, the best OE/Think like an operator book ever. I used to ask guys questions out of it.

While I agree the Industrial Operators Handbook is very nice, I didn't bring it up as I don't know of anywhere to purchase a reasonably priced copy.  Hop needs to get another batch printed up.

Edit: Well, looks like publisher price is $80.  I 'm sure I paid more.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013, 09:00 by Bradtv »

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2013, 04:29 »
They have the paperback version on amazon for around $40, so I think that is the route I will be taking.  As far as the locations or everything at the plant, you can clearly see the containment but is there any way to find out where the other components are?  I understand the basic set up of a BWR, and I know that I won't be able to find the vital areas on here, but maybe a lay out of some sort?  Or would that be breaching plant security?  I realize this will all be in my training, but you can never be too prepared!

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:59 »
Nice!  As far as plant systems, you won't be able to get specifics, but there is the Reactor Concepts Manual.  One thing Exelon does as well is prepare non licensed operators for the GFES exam.  You shouldn't get too worried about that stuff, but if your curious, this is what is looks like.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2013, 03:01 »
He'll I can draw you every system and list set points and layout of a Bwr and not be breaching security. The only item that is "secure" are the details of the security plan and you are only obligated to keep that secret until you are no longer an employee.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:49 »
Hell I can draw you every system and list set points and layout of a Bwr and not be breaching security. The only item that is "secure" are the details of the security plan and you are only obligated to keep that secret until you are no longer an employee.

Hence the nickname "Wise Old Tootsie Pop Owl"  ;)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2013, 04:21 »
They have the paperback version on amazon for around $40, so I think that is the route I will be taking.  As far as the locations or everything at the plant, you can clearly see the containment but is there any way to find out where the other components are?  I understand the basic set up of a BWR, and I know that I won't be able to find the vital areas on here, but maybe a lay out of some sort?  Or would that be breaching plant security?  I realize this will all be in my training, but you can never be too prepared!

Try this site, it has a few layouts that you may find helpful: http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm/search/collection/nuceng/page/1

Offline bart2567

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:51 »
If you are going to an Exelon plant (at my site anyways) we studied GFES for the first 6 weeks so you can use the Alan Murrow website or look at the NRC website. Most of it seems like its strictly memorization. I just got qualified in November at Dresden Station so its still pretty fresh with me. All of the system stuff is mostly plant specific so you cant really get a heads up on it. Unless you don't know how common things in an electrical system (relays solenoids breakers...) or water systems (pumps valves accumulators...) work then there isn't much to study for it.

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2014, 03:44 »
Allen Murrow is basically our main study guide.  We are 4 weeks into it and I don't think there was too much I could have done to prepare for the course.  I did look over the DOE materials which jogged my memory and skills and that helped.  Here is to a successful two more weeks, then bring on systems :o

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2014, 02:09 »
To throw in my 2c, my study guides for GFE were primarily Allen Murrow's site and the NRC's own materials. I didn't find that a lot of previous material was very useful. A lot of the GFE stuff, dependent on which section you're looking at, relies on assumptions and approximations that are specific to a given question set. In my experience you really have to be familiar with the specific type of questions that are going to be asked to have the best chance of success.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?