Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC competitiveness

Author Topic: NUPOC competitiveness  (Read 5214 times)

Offline etimana

• Lurker
NUPOC competitiveness
« on: Oct 05, 2013, 10:30 »
Dear Nukes,

I am currently applying for the NUPOC program, I have already been to the NVIP trip and I am scheduled to have a phone interview next week. Most of the posts that I have looked at are a bit outdated(unless I been looking in the wrong places) so I am just wondering if this program has become more competitive. I am asking if someone knows what the acceptance rate for the phone interview and DC interview is? I know you get a second chance with the phone interview but I heard its the biggest hurdle because a lot people don't make it. I have been studying the study guide so I know what kind of questions to expect.

I am a woman and so I am wondering if the billet to fill in for women is different than men and if there is any available. I still have one more year to finish my bachelor's degree and I am majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I typically hear Mechanical or Electrical majors going through NUPOC but i know as long as you have the requirements, your OK. I just want an update on the current situation especially with the government in bit of crisis right now. I am trying my best.

In addition, if I don't get accepted, what are my options?? I am also currently in the DEP program enlisted as a NUC and scheduled to leave January unless I get accepted into the NUPOC program. I know about the STA-21 program. I have read through previous threads and they all give negative feedback about having less chances of becoming an officer after you are enlisted and I understand, but my recruiters have told me that it is easier to become an officer while being enlisted. I know its not their job to know if it is or isn't but I want to know if anyone has a different feedback to give me.

I want to serve my country and become a Nuclear Propulsion officer. My goal is to built a career with the Navy so I am asking for some feedback from anyone who has been through the process or has some current knowledge of it.

Sincerely,
Future Nuke
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013, 12:47 by etimana »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUPOC competativeness
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2013, 10:52 »
Dear Nukes,
I still have one more year to finish my bachelor's degree and I am majoring in Biomedical Engineering.
In addition, if I don't get accepted, what are my options?? I am also currently in the DEP program enlisted as a NUC and scheduled to leave January

Why are you in DEP if you are one year from graduating?

>:(  DO NOT ENLIST IF YOU ARE CLOSE TO FINISHING AN ENGINEERING DEGREE!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013, 10:53 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline etimana

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:34 »
I have actually been in the DEP program for over a year and a half because I had a job change from IT to NUC. Then I only recently learned about NUPOC by chance about 8 months ago when I spoke to another Nuke and he told me about it.

Meanwhile in the DEP program, I continued taking classes which added an extra year to my degree because I knew that to be an officer you need a bachelors.  But the thing is, i have had to take out loans for some classes and the only thing keeping me alive right now is because I am working a part-time job and I am living with my mom. Money is very tight right now for me. I have to help my mom with bills while trying to keep up with school.

I am very hopeful in getting accepted into the NUPOC program as I am already almost halfway there but I am scared about my interviews, especially if the female positions for Surface get filled or I am rejected in my DC interviews. My officer recruiter isn't very helpful and I have been trying my best to get prepared by researching around the internet.

Being accepted will lift the weight of constantly worrying about money issues all the time. But I know there is a slight chance that life doesn't always go as planned so I need a back-up. Going enlisted will put a burden on my studies but it will help me get out of my financial barriers. Either way, I plan on making the Navy my future so I a just have to keep on trying my best.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2013, 12:09 »
Going enlisted will put a burden on my studies ....

It will likely end your chance of finishing your degree for 6 years. If you really are within one year of graduating, find a way to finish the degree if you don't get NUPOC!

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: NUPOC competitiveness
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2013, 05:55 »
I'll go one step further: it seems like you're joining the Navy out of perceived financial durress. Don't. Not even NUPOC. Your student loans will still be there in the Navy, and if you play your cards right in the next year you have more earning potential as a civilian, especially if you were to enlist.

Offline schuberu

• Lurker
Re: NUPOC competitiveness
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2013, 10:48 »
I just went up to DC for the October interviews and our group had all sorts of majors. If you are going for NR engineer, they like to have mechanical, electrical, nuclear type engineering. If you are going for subs or surface, you can be any major, just as long as you meet the requirements (and you do well in your interviews). We had a german language major get in.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?