Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waivers  

Author Topic: Waivers  (Read 52301 times)

rfmoransiny

Waivers
« on: Nov 26, 2004, 05:52 »
hi, do you think I can get into the nuke program with 3 waivers? My asvab and NAPT scores were 94 and 77

Your response is greatly appreciated, ROb
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2004, 11:40 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Getting into Navy Nuke with 3 waivers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2004, 12:20 »
Depends on the reason for waivers. The scores are definitely high enough to qualify.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RCLCPO

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2004, 12:41 »
There are 10 general categories for waivers for the nuclear field.  Our threshold of pain for what offense requires a waiver is very low, so it is very common for any given Nuke in the program to have a waiver in their service record.  There are too many things to consider for any given waiver that are going to be specific to the individual, so there is no way to give you a specific answer to your general question.  Requiring a waiver in multiple categories is not uncommon.

If you send me your information (transcripts, what happened, when, how, why, etc.) I can give you an idea of your chances.  For your privacy, send it via my personal e-mail.

latenuke

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2004, 04:05 »
I got in just recently with similar scores and 2 waivers, one being for age (im 25), so it is possible. Make sure that your contact point in the waiver process (your recruiter, or the advanced programs coordinator, or whoever you are going through) knows that you are enthusiastic about the program and have a strong desire to get in. Best of Luck.

ldyinger

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:38 »
I just go in (96 asvab) and had to have three waivers, one was law involved, one because I dropped a calc class my freshman year, and one because I have several hundred dollars debt.  I just have to make strides at taking care of debt and I keep my nuke rating.

Auroradrun

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:24 »
I just got into the Navy Nuke Program with two waivers, so, yeah, if you really want it, it is possible.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the basic jobs of the three subdivisions in the Nuke field. I'm not sure if I want to be a Machinist's Mate, Electrician's Mate, or Electronics Technician. And I don't really want to tell them I want to do something without having any idea what they do. If anyone has any information.. that would be really helpful.

Turtleberry

Academic Waiver
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:50 »
Hello there, I am new to the forum and have found the multitude of information here to be very useful. Thank you for your service to our country and advice for those of us who are looking to serve our country  :)

Some background information about me, I am 20 years old, born and raised in New York. I considered joining the navy about a year ago, but decided to go back to college instead. A year later, since my college is pretty horrible, I have been stuck doing high school math for most of three years of my college experience. I lacked direction and have no idea what I want to do after college. I didn't want to continue college without getting that education part that seems to be getting more rare these days. I wanted a goal that I could work for and working for just a college degree was just too superficial given the POS classes they try to pass off as educational in my college. I worked an internship as a electrician in a department store, my first real job, I found I learned so much more in the couple of months I worked there than my years of college. Although I hold the value of education in high regard, without practical application knowledge I began to think college was just a big trivia factory for information I will never use. Which led me back to the nuke field. I began looking into the Navy again about two months ago orginally aiming for CTI, but when I heard about the nuke field and its benefits, I changed my mind pretty quickly. I scored a 98 on the ASVAB and apparently a perfect score on code breakers although I have no idea what that is, so I bypassed the NFAT. I did quite a bit of research before I contacted my recruiter although thinking back I could've done more. I signed up for AECF to get into DEP but I suppose I could've waited to sign the papers till I got my waivers done and a written nuke contract. Hopefully a fixable mistake on my part.

My grades in college are in the 3.4 range, but the problem lies in my H.S. academics. I failed the first math class in my freshman year and got consistently poor grades pretty much throughout high school. This was partially due to my home situation, a messy almost-divorce with my parents. I learned most of high school level math in middle school, so although I passed the tests, missing homework and classwork and attendance affected my grades. I submitted a waiver package with a handwritten statement explaining my poor grades, it has been about two weeks.

I have searched the forum for pertinent information but haven't found a specific answer for my question. I need two waivers, academic and citizenship. I was born here but my parents were born in China so I had to submit some documents for their naturalization dates. It has been well over 20 years for my dad and a little under 20 for my mom. I have heard and read about financial waivers being high on the no-fly list, but generally are academic waivers something of a big disqualifier? I know it varies with each waiver but I would like to hear any stories or experiences anyone might have similar to my situation.

Kev3399

Re: Academic Waiver
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:39 »
No promises here.....but I'm pretty sure you'll get nuke if you want it. I would be more worried about civil offences than waivers and what not.(ie jail, DUI, unpaid tickets, etc.....)

Your approach of hands on application of knowledge is dead on. I loved my job in the Navy because it was fun. You learn something new everyday and then you get to go out and play around with what you learned. I use the phrase "play around" loosely.....there are procedures, limits, and then more procedures. As I look back, I recall running drills as the best part of the job. You read and read about how the plant reacts to a certain set of circumstances and then the next day you get to see it with your own eyes.(Sometimes not as a drill  :)) I'll never forget my first scram recovery. I probably looked scared on the outside, but on the inside I was smiling in awe.

As far as the academic portion.....you appear to have a good head on your shoulders. I never spent a day in college and came from a corn field with a 2.69 high school GPA. Its all about dedication and desire to succeed. Waivers are just pieces of paper. Don't consider yourself a second class citizen in the Navy because of it. You'll be surrounded by guys/gals who all have a reason to be in the Navy. (bad college experience, family issues, money issues, etc)

So in summary, if you want it.....go for it. I can't speak for the recruiting end, but you should get nuke as long as you're honest with them. They'll do the paperwork because they need you more than you need them.

I did quite a bit of research before I contacted my recruiter although thinking back I could've done more. I signed up for AECF to get into DEP but I suppose I could've waited to sign the papers till I got my waivers done and a written nuke contract. Hopefully a fixable mistake on my part.

Should be fixable if your recruiter is worth his weight. Remember, they're held to a quota. Some rates are needed more than others. Nuke is needed. Tell him you really want to be a nuke.....if he doesn't budge.....ask to speak to the regional nuke recruiter. If he still wants to be useless. Call your MEPS and ask to talk to the regional nuke recruiter. The regional nuke guy has more influence than the guy at your recruiting station.

Let me know if this answers all your questions.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 12:23 »
TurtleBerry -

I was in a similar predicament as you when I was joining. I was disqualified for active duty due to medical reasons, but those got taken care of. I also required waivers for my terrible credit rating (I made a plan to pay my bills of before joining, so that kept me in. If you have debt, make sure you have a plan to otherwise take care of it.). Last but not least I required waivers for my TERRIBLE grades. If you have a 3.4 in college you are golden. They will probably overlook your highschool grades anyway. If they dont, you have more then proven yourself with your college scores.

As for your parents, that might be a SLIGHT issue. I have a friend who is STILL waiting on his clearance (been on t track for a year and half :(). However he made frequent trips to china, married a chinese person, and kept close relations to his parents who were not citizens yet. You SHOULD be fine. I wouldnt worry that much about it though.

good luck to you! and hope to see you in the fleet :)

Turtleberry

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:38 »
Thanks for the replies

I dont have any debt and I am not really worried about the citizenship waiver, my parents have been here for a long time and none of us traveled outside the U.S. recently. Reading some of the other threads got me a little worried about academic waivers is all. I know it is different for every waiver so I'll just wait a bit and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

ddklbl

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:08 »
Reading some of the other threads got me a little worried about academic waivers is all. I know it is different for every waiver so I'll just wait a bit and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

I don't know which grades they look at specifically (high school vs college).  Most of us come in straight from HS and that is all we have.  Assuming you've taken physics and math in college and those are commensurate with your overall GPA, you've shown a positive trend in improvement.  That is truly what we care about.  Not so much that you've screwed up, but rather what you've done since then to make yourself better. 

Don't worry about it.  You'll be fine.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:48 »
You will probably need an academic waiver for Algebra however don't let that discourage you. I needed the same waiver and they processed it before I even knew I needed it.

Offline mikec426

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:05 »
I'm currently the Nuclear Field Coordinator for the Los Angeles recruiting district.

Any math class in high school, Algebra 1 or higher that you repeat or score lower than a "C" requires an academic waiver.  If your GPA for high school your 11th and 12th grade year is less than 2.0, it requires a waiver.  You said your college GPA was 3.4 right?  That should help your chances.  If you took college level math AND did well, that would help even more. 

For the citizenship... my experience lately is that waivers for people with parents who still have their citizenship in China are rarely getting approved.  If they are naturalized U.S. citizens, that helps, and the longer they've been naturalized, the better.

Two weeks is a standard time for these waivers to be out.  The quickest I've ever had a waiver like yours come back is 6 days.  I've had some out almost 3 months.

Did you need a financial waiver as well?  I've only ever dealt with 2 of those.  One got denied (it was bankruptcy) the other got approved (it was a small credit card balance that was over 6 months late).

Don't know if that helps.  Any more questions?  Just ask.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:55 »
I'm currently the Nuclear Field Coordinator for the Los Angeles recruiting district.

Any math class in high school, Algebra 1 or higher that you repeat or score lower than a "C" requires an academic waiver.  If your GPA for high school your 11th and 12th grade year is less than 2.0, it requires a waiver.  You said your college GPA was 3.4 right?  That should help your chances.  If you took college level math AND did well, that would help even more. 

For the citizenship... my experience lately is that waivers for people with parents who still have their citizenship in China are rarely getting approved.  If they are naturalized U.S. citizens, that helps, and the longer they've been naturalized, the better.

Two weeks is a standard time for these waivers to be out.  The quickest I've ever had a waiver like yours come back is 6 days.  I've had some out almost 3 months.

Did you need a financial waiver as well?  I've only ever dealt with 2 of those.  One got denied (it was bankruptcy) the other got approved (it was a small credit card balance that was over 6 months late).

Don't know if that helps.  Any more questions?  Just ask.

Why deny Chinese Parent waivers? Is it all the lead paint?  :P Sorry bad joke. I am bored.

Justin

Turtleberry

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:19 »
My parents weren't born here so they are naturalized citizens, they got their US citizenship like ~20 years ago. I had to provide a copy of their naturalization papers for the waiver. From what I understand it would only be a problem if they still had chinese citizenship or went back to China a lot of times to do some spy work or something =P. But that isn't the case so I am not too worried about this one.

As for the academic waiver, that was pretty much my question. I submitted one about 3 weeks ago already. I had to prepare a handwritten statement (an essay) explaining my grades for the waiver package. My recruiter told me they looked at my high school grades, with less emphasis on college, but don't quote me on that. I was just a little bit worried because the handwritten statement seemed like a big deal, but you guys eased my fears. I am waiting on just these two waivers to be processed I don't need any other waivers that I know of.

I was just curious to see if anyone had any experience with handling something like this, sorry for making my first post so huge.

Fla Jackal

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:00 »
i signed up 2 years ago originaly as an AD because i needed an academic waiver for math, in which i got a "D" in algebra 2 and my waiver was approved. i wouldn't worry to much aslong as you had some sort of reason for doing poorly. you probably have a good chance of getting your waiver aproved.

although im not sure i think it took 1 month for my waiver to go through. and on the parents citizenship thing that probably wont effect your initial enlistment but you could possibly get stuck on hold after A school waiting for your clearance to go through.

Offline mikec426

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008, 02:32 »
My parents weren't born here so they are naturalized citizens, they got their US citizenship like ~20 years ago. I had to provide a copy of their naturalization papers for the waiver. From what I understand it would only be a problem if they still had chinese citizenship or went back to China a lot of times to do some spy work or something =P. But that isn't the case so I am not too worried about this one.

As for the academic waiver, that was pretty much my question. I submitted one about 3 weeks ago already. I had to prepare a handwritten statement (an essay) explaining my grades for the waiver package. My recruiter told me they looked at my high school grades, with less emphasis on college, but don't quote me on that. I was just a little bit worried because the handwritten statement seemed like a big deal, but you guys eased my fears. I am waiting on just these two waivers to be processed I don't need any other waivers that I know of.

I was just curious to see if anyone had any experience with handling something like this, sorry for making my first post so huge.
It's the bad grades in high school that require a waiver to be generated.  If you got straight A's in high school and then failed everything in college, no waiver required.  Any waiver that goes up requires high school transcripts and, if you have college, college transcripts.  Gives them more information to decide if you're nuke quality or not. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:00 »
I want to put this out for you...

I graduated (barely) highschool with a 2.38 gpa. Think of the fantastic waivers I had to fill out in boot camp because my recruiter neglected to fill them out with me before joining :D

I failed many courses (they have a thing in NC where if you miss more then 4 days of class, you get whats called a 69U, which is a failing grade. they use a 7 pt sys instead of a 10 pt sys as well), and still got in the program. I was also moderately successful during my tenure through the pipeline. Dont freak out, you should be just fine.

Turtleberry

« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:34 »
One of my main reasons for enlisting are for the educational experience I couldn't get in my college. A lot of my friends don't understand my decision, they are content to sit through college and party, hopefully learn something in the 4 years. I can't see myself wasting time like that. Hands on education seems the best path for me, I just need to put the effort into it. Seems like the Navy is the best place for that judging from the servicemen and women on these boards.

Going to a monthly DEP meeting this weekend, hopefully for some good news. I'll post as soon as I get new info.

I'm glad to hear the success stories from you folks, gives me a bigger incentive to work towards improving. Maybe it's a bit early to be saying this, but I look foward to working with you. /bow

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2008, 05:29 »
One of my main reasons for enlisting are for the educational experience I couldn't get in my college. A lot of my friends don't understand my decision, they are content to sit through college and party, hopefully learn something in the 4 years. I can't see myself wasting time like that. Hands on education seems the best path for me, I just need to put the effort into it. Seems like the Navy is the best place for that judging from the servicemen and women on these boards.

Going to a monthly DEP meeting this weekend, hopefully for some good news. I'll post as soon as I get new info.

I'm glad to hear the success stories from you folks, gives me a bigger incentive to work towards improving. Maybe it's a bit early to be saying this, but I look foward to working with you. /bow

Wise words. Make sure you remember them when it comes time to study for hours on end.

Offline Ops Nub

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:42 »
I had 3 waiver when I joined in 1999. 1) Getting a 'D' in algebra and graduating with a 2.7 GPA 2) Smoking Pot 3) Almost hitting a police officer with my car (long story)
All that and they still let me in and look at me now, an MM1 in Guam.

Good luck.
Jay

Turtleberry

Re: Waivers
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2008, 05:22 »
So, I found out I was rejected for nuke today. Academic waiver didn't go through.  :'(

It has been like 7 weeks now so I figured I would push things along. My recruiter has been giving me the runaround for weeks telling me he would check with the office every time I spoke with him over the phone and today I went to the office personally with him. I was really hoping for nuke but I don't suppose theres anything else that can be done with a rejected waiver. I was looking forward to the enlistment bonus and auto e-3 as well as the challenge, but right now I am going to go for my first choice rating CTI. Top secret clearance for that, praying it won't be too much of a hassle. I am also looking at regular ET, EM, MM rates, as that would be my third choice if I don't get clearance for CTI either.Some guys that get denuked go to those rates right?  Hopefully it won't come to that, but if anyone has any experience or information about those rates, I assume its the same job without the nuke benefits, true or no?

Long shot would be with my original AECF contract, I don't really want to do it but my options are limited and I'm feeling pretty down right now, don't want to make a hasty decision.

This forum has been a great source in my research even though it didn't work out in the end. Thanks everyone for your help and service.

Now to find a good cti workers forum... =((((

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2008, 05:57 »
So, I found out I was rejected for nuke today. Academic waiver didn't go through.  :'(

It has been like 7 weeks now so I figured I would push things along. My recruiter has been giving me the runaround for weeks telling me he would check with the office every time I spoke with him over the phone and today I went to the office personally with him. I was really hoping for nuke but I don't suppose theres anything else that can be done with a rejected waiver. I was looking forward to the enlistment bonus and auto e-3 as well as the challenge, but right now I am going to go for my first choice rating CTI. Top secret clearance for that, praying it won't be too much of a hassle. I am also looking at regular ET, EM, MM rates, as that would be my third choice if I don't get clearance for CTI either.Some guys that get denuked go to those rates right?  Hopefully it won't come to that, but if anyone has any experience or information about those rates, I assume its the same job without the nuke benefits, true or no?

Long shot would be with my original AECF contract, I don't really want to do it but my options are limited and I'm feeling pretty down right now, don't want to make a hasty decision.

This forum has been a great source in my research even though it didn't work out in the end. Thanks everyone for your help and service.

Now to find a good cti workers forum... =((((

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. Hopefully you will find something else that will be a good fit. Regarding the clearance, NavLiv or Gamecock will be the best source, but it is going to be a hassle. So make sure you have a clean past and clean credit before going that route.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:05 »
May I ask what you were dq'ed for?

I had 19 waivers (academics... multiple failures, and a 2.3 ish gpa from highschool). I dont know how it works, but is there some way he can appeal it? (I got disqualified medically several times, but eventually I was admitted)
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 08:07 by Cycoticpenguin »

Turtleberry

« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:46 »
I was dq'ed for my hs grades, my academic waiver was rejected. I didn't mention it before but I have a GED although I did have enough credits to graduate HS. I got a GED to go to college instead of waiting for my hs diploma. Multiple failures, low gpa, all that bad stuff. I had 3 years of college though so I didn't think GED would hold me back this much. Guess my essay wasn't good enough to change their mind. From what I hear, theres no appeals for rejected waivers unless it comes from higher up in command, and I don't think thats gonna happen.

I was somewhat wary because of the way my recruiter worded it when he told me I needed a waiver, but I was hoping. I probably should've seen it coming though, I gave my recruiter the benefit of the doubt.

I am taking the DLAB in two days, I have a list of questions for him too. Would it be alright to field some of them in PM to the recruiters on these boards? I'd like a second opinion in case my recruiter hasn't had his fill of double talk. It is going to be non-nuke related though because any more talk about me being a nuke is just wishful thinking. =/

Also, I do have a clean past and credit. Never missed a credit card payment, and never got arrested or recieved any traffic tickets. Never did drugs. All my immediate family members are US citizens. Anything else I missed? I am a little anxious, I really hope getting CTI will be straightfoward. I also need to get a good score on that DLAB...
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 11:07 by Turtleberry »

dewf

« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:58 »
So make sure you have a clean past and clean credit before going that route.

i have a clean past, but certainly an undesirable credit... idk if ppl have experience with this, it'd be nice to know now instead of making it through boot and finding out after.

I have been in college for 3 years, and i have a credit card bill. not a big one. but sometimes in the past it didn't get paid.  :P I haven't been approached yet about waivers? should i have been?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2008, 12:05 »
i have a clean past, but certainly an undesirable credit... idk if ppl have experience with this, it'd be nice to know now instead of making it through boot and finding out after.

I have been in college for 3 years, and i have a credit card bill. not a big one. but sometimes in the past it didn't get paid.  :P I haven't been approached yet about waivers? should i have been?

If, when the security questionnaire asks if you have ever been late paying bills, and you lie, then yes you should worry. If you do not lie, then you don't need to worry... for nuke that is.

Justin

dewf

« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:09 »
If, when the security questionnaire asks if you have ever been late paying bills, and you lie, then yes you should worry. If you do not lie, then you don't need to worry... for nuke that is.

Justin

lol well certainly some things have come up since december. and i didn't lie about having not paid bills. so the waiver just goes through or doesn't regardless of ones knowledge of it happening?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:00 »
lol well certainly some things have come up since december. and i didn't lie about having not paid bills. so the waiver just goes through or doesn't regardless of ones knowledge of it happening?

What do you need a waiver for? I didn't need any waivers so I can't answer your question about whether or not you are privy to them being approved. I guess one way to know is when you are on the plan on your way to boot.

Justin

Turtleberry

« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:14 »
Well if anyone cares I recieved a call today, I have successfully reclassified to CTI. Top secret clearance security check took all of 3 days. I will be shipping out March 4th as a CTI.

Might be seeing some of you guys on a sub or boat in the future, I'll see you then. /salute

taterhead

« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:19 »
Well if anyone cares I recieved a call today, I have successfully reclassified to CTI. Top secret clearance security check took all of 3 days. I will be shipping out March 4th as a CTI.

That sounds unsusually fast, but congrats, you did well.

dewf

« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:43 »
congrats on CTI turtle!

are cti and nuke both top secret? idk anything about this.... clearance ordeal.

Turtleberry

« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:59 »
I heard they needed to interview my neighbors and research my distant family members and such so yea I was suprised it happened so fast as well. Not quite sure what the classifier did for me but I can't complain. All my immediate family are US citizens, no criminal record, never got a traffic ticket, paid all my credit card bills on time, never did drugs. I looked good on paper I suppose.
 I am a little disapointed I won't be a nuke, but still satisfied with my job rating. Thanks folks, even though I'm not a nuke I can't help but love this forum.

Nuke is generally secret level clearance, but you don't do anything extra for Top secret security clearance, just some paperwork and higher level of scrutiny I suppose.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:05 »
Ya I am not sure you actually have the clearance yet. I am not sure its possible to complete the investigation in 3 days. IF they did, well good for you. They might have done a prelim to get you in but you won't actually be granted it until you need it... THEN they would really investigate.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:08 »
Nuke is not TS unless you warrant it.  Example (but not limited too): Submarines when on a Special Boat.  But, in reality everyone on the boat has a TS when that is the case.

So, sorry ... Nukes generally don't go through a TS clearance.

(My lawyer told me to add that I've not been in the Nav in over 12 years.)

You're right highest needed is secret, unless you are on the "special" boat.

Justin

Turtleberry

« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2008, 09:29 »
Ya I am not sure you actually have the clearance yet. I am not sure its possible to complete the investigation in 3 days. IF they did, well good for you. They might have done a prelim to get you in but you won't actually be granted it until you need it... THEN they would really investigate.

Justin

That sounds a lot more reasonable. I'll find out in the future I guess...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:07 »
That sounds a lot more reasonable. I'll find out in the future I guess...

Yup just keep your nose clean no matter what... and pay your bills. :)

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:04 »

Again, when I joined the navy, I had to get waivers because of my credit and fiscal situation. However, prior to leaving for bootcamp, I made arrangements to have my bills paid off. That alone is why the EMCS there let me be a nuke. He told me straight up, I wouldnt be able to be a nuke if I had not made those arrangements. Ill put it like this... you are trying to get a job for/with the governement. they know EVERYTHING already, might as well do the right thing and make yourself look better in the process :)

dewf

« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:22 »
However, prior to leaving for bootcamp, I made arrangements to have my bills paid off. That alone is why the EMCS there let me be a nuke. He told me straight up, I wouldnt be able to be a nuke if I had not made those arrangements. Ill put it like this... you are trying to get a job for/with the governement. they know EVERYTHING already, might as well do the right thing and make yourself look better in the process :)

thanks for the advice. did you have them paid off while you were in boot camp?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:39 »
thanks for the advice. did you have them paid off while you were in boot camp?

no, i called the people up and said i was joining the military, meaning i was going to be in boot camp for a couple months (lots of cash left over). So I would pay off my bills after bootcamp. I think I set an exact date too (long time ago). Just be prepared dude, and dont hide things from the one employer that can TRULY find everything :)

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:23 »

Nuke is generally secret level clearance, but you don't do anything extra for Top secret security clearance, just some paperwork and higher level of scrutiny I suppose.

Not true.  There are various levels of TS clearance and it is much harder to get.  I had to have a polygraph test.  Every nuke at my previous command (USS JIMMY CARTER) did.  As EDMC I had a slightly higher need to know than the majority of nukes because of the operational briefings I was required to attend, but that just changed what I was "read in to".  The biggest hurdle for lots of guys is excessive debt.  Most places do a preliminary screening to check for flags (felony conviction, bankruptcy, excessive debt) prior to sending you to a billet that requires TS clearance.  Prior to getting access to the TS information you have to have your clearance finalized which, in most cases, requires a polygraph.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

dewf

« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2008, 06:31 »
no, i called the people up and said i was joining the military, meaning i was going to be in boot camp for a couple months (lots of cash left over). So I would pay off my bills after bootcamp. I think I set an exact date too (long time ago). Just be prepared dude, and dont hide things from the one employer that can TRULY find everything :)

yea, i'm like... out of money. haha. just sitting around waiting for apr. 24 to come around.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:17 »
congrats on CTI turtle!

are cti and nuke both top secret? idk anything about this.... clearance ordeal.

Both my parents were CT's (Air Force and Army :D), and from what they say, its a huge ordeal to get the clearance required to go there. Im kind of flabbergasted he qual'd for CTI and not Nuke O.o.   

That said, Cheers on becoming a CT :) enjoy your "total emersion" courses!!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2008, 07:47 »
Im kind of flabbergasted he qual'd for CTI and not Nuke O.o.   

Why? Its easy... you don't have to be smart to be a CT or get the clearance. You just have to not be a spy and pay your bills.

Justin
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 07:47 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2008, 08:51 »
Why? Its easy... you don't have to be smart to be a CT or get the clearance. You just have to not be a spy and pay your bills.

Justin

Its actually not that easy. You have to have a higher asvab then nuke to get it, and you have a higher clearance to be accepted...  NOT TO MENTION THE D-BATTERY! (I dont think many nukes would pass it) I am coming from a family with a history of CT's. You may not agree with my other posts here, but I have firsthand knowledge of this one.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2008, 09:29 »
Its actually not that easy. You have to have a higher asvab then nuke to get it, and you have a higher clearance to be accepted...  NOT TO MENTION THE D-BATTERY! (I dont think many nukes would pass it) I am coming from a family with a history of CT's. You may not agree with my other posts here, but I have firsthand knowledge of this one.

Hahaha ok.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:34 »

Yeah right. Most CTs I met shouldn't be allowed to pump their own gas. I bet most nukes could pass CT School, most CTs could not pass nuke school. My neighbor kid, who is a Grade A idiot if there ever was one is a CT3.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #47 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:57 »

Yeah right. Most CTs I met shouldn't be allowed to pump their own gas. I bet most nukes could pass CT School, most CTs could not pass nuke school. My neighbor kid, who is a Grade A idiot if there ever was one is a CT3.

Mike

Thanks. I was tired of arguing with a kid that knows it all.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:25 »
When he actually qualifies something I might take his statements to about 1% believability.

By the way, I was on a Spook Boat. Our clearances were well above TS and were in fact designated by letters. The actual letter designations of the clearances were classified. A TS wouldn't have gotten one on the SSN 687. At the time there was no polygraph, in fact they don't base your clearance on a polygraph it has to be based on background and investigation.

There were a LOT of interviews with the FBI and the DIS/NIS.

Mike

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:41 »
Let me get this right.  A nuke candidate flunks out at NFAS or NPS.  If he's a decent guy or gal he can be a CT.  So that makes being a CT harder to get?  You are right about the security clearance (in some cases).
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:59 »
Let me get this right.  A nuke candidate flunks out at NFAS or NPS.  If he's a decent guy or gal he can be a CT.  So that makes being a CT harder to get?  You are right about the security clearance (in some cases).

Yup I know at least a dozen CTs that were nuke waste.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #51 on: Mar 10, 2008, 04:46 »

Mike

Are you implying that nukes cant be morons? If so, I think you should have a visit to the USS Eisenhower ;) (hint - look up half of my posts;))

Just because I say its hard, doesnt mean I meant it's harder then nuke. Its completely different, and still freakin hard. Flunking out of the pipeline doesnt make them less smart, it makes less able to handle the situation (most of what I've seen anyway). 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #52 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:22 »
Lets all just let this go. The seas are calm around here right now... until the next storm comes through. :)

God I am such a diggit 7 months past EAOS.  :P

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #53 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:41 »
No, I'm saying on my dumbest day I'm smarter than the smartest CT. Now back to your quals son.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:23 »
No, I'm saying on my dumbest day I'm smarter than the smartest CT. Now back to your quals son.

You need to have a chit chat with my father. one of those "dumb" ct's you will meet. When you can speak 11 languages fluently, support a board of advisors to the president, and juggle other command issues at the same time, then you can compare yourself to him. That said, you cant compare CT vs NUKE. Its completely different.

As well, Im not your son, and my time off is my time off. I dont support your watchbill, and never will, so get off my butt about my quals (of which I'm stupidly ahead on.)   

smite me if you want, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:04 »
Not true.    Prior to getting access to the TS information you have to have your clearance finalized which, in most cases, requires a polygraph.
I was OTL on this.  JC required TS/SCI.  The SCI requires a polygraph, not the TS.  Most officers and a few other rates have TS on SSN/SSBN.  They get their TS w/out polygraph.
T. Roosevelt

Physics

« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2008, 05:06 »
     I had three waivers for Nuke officer...  two for grades and one for age.  They did not grant me a waiver for a D in Differential Equations.  Maybe they're getting tougher on officer candidates...?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2008, 07:29 »
     I had three waivers for Nuke officer...  two for grades and one for age.  They did not grant me a waiver for a D in Differential Equations.  Maybe they're getting tougher on officer candidates...?

No, they just couldn't believe that someone got a D in Diffeq.

Justin

mishin

« Reply #58 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:15 »
Why must you have a waiver for dropping a college class?

I took the Nuke test today, and passed! Now just for the medical exam!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #59 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:27 »
Why must you have a waiver for dropping a college class?

I took the Nuke test today, and passed! Now just for the medical exam!

Congrats, keep up posted!

Well back when I was in school, dropping a class was the same, if not worse than, failing a class. Having a big fat W on your transcript raises questions of reliablity and ability with some people. Wouldn't surprise me, and in fact would bother me, if the Navy didn't look at Ws with great scrutiny. Some extraordinary circumstance aside, a W simply shows a lack of commitment and/or ability... IMO.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008, 08:28 by JustinHEMI »

Physics

« Reply #60 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:27 »
No, they just couldn't believe that someone got a D in Diffeq.

Justin

Thanks for the welcoming response to my first post ever on NukeWorker (that is called sarcasm).  I want to be a nuke officer very badly.  I graduate with my physics degree this December, and I would appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.   I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball.  I was told by 'a high ranking official' at Nuclear Reactors at the beginning of this semester (my last semester) that I would probably get the waiver without retaking it... otherwise I would have.      But, alas, I didn't get the waiver.   Now I am getting closer to graduation, and to my 29th birthday...  so I don't know if it's worth it to stay in school another semester just for that class.  Seems like they'd just waive it.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #61 on: Oct 31, 2008, 09:44 »
 I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball. 

Sometimes real life intrudes. If your child is sick, but the ship deploys next week on WestPac 2010, which is not a priority, and would you drop the ball?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #62 on: Oct 31, 2008, 11:02 »
Thanks for the welcoming response to my first post ever on NukeWorker (that is called sarcasm).  I want to be a nuke officer very badly.  I graduate with my physics degree this December, and I would appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.   I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball.  I was told by 'a high ranking official' at Nuclear Reactors at the beginning of this semester (my last semester) that I would probably get the waiver without retaking it... otherwise I would have.      But, alas, I didn't get the waiver.   Now I am getting closer to graduation, and to my 29th birthday...  so I don't know if it's worth it to stay in school another semester just for that class.  Seems like they'd just waive it.

Being the expert in sarcasm that you are, how did you miss mine? (Clue: That was more of it). Lighten up.

DEQ was a requirement when I got my Physics degree, but then again, every school is different and times change. But that is neither here nor there.

I think your choice is clear. You said they won't grant the waiver, so that kind of narrows it down. You should re-take the class if this is really what you want to do. Why should they give a slot to you when there are many many more who didn't get D's in diffeq? Personal anecdotes aside, I have to go with Dave on this one.

Good luck and thanks for your interest in serving.

Justin

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #63 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:07 »
I just have to question some one working on a physics major and not having Differential Equations as a pre-req...I've taken the class and was a Chem major at the time and it was required..and if your 29 with a kid my gut tells me try the civilian side, a new child and a wife is a lot of non issued baggage that going to sea or in-port shiftwork don't and will never care about ( I don't meen to stop you, just pointing it out, the service did good by me)...it is always your call and besides I got the ultimate waiver...the waiver for having too many waivers..(sigh..gotta love it..) 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 05:16 by bdhoe »
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Physics

« Reply #64 on: Dec 01, 2008, 12:23 »

Thanks for the realistic advice...  very good points made.

drainbamage

« Reply #65 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:15 »
Thanks for the realistic advice...  very good points made.

You might look into DIO(direct input officers), the officer instructors in power school. It's a shore duty, no sea time except for a couple weekend field trips to sea, benefits and whatnot.

If you like it and your time is up, you can apply for a lateral transfer to another group.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #66 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:30 »
As far as waivers go, when I was at the recruiters they asked me if I had ever taken drugs.  I hadn't. They wouldn't believe me, kept badgering me about it. I felt it all slipping away, so I admitted to it. Immediately they produced a form for me to confess my sins and sign. Voila, a waiver for something I never did was complete and into the program I went.
This was 1984 in Yakima, Wa.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008, 02:55 by dagiffy »

psmarz

« Reply #67 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:11 »
My big concern is grades...

In 1999 I went to HS down in S. Fl. and the school was really rough.  I did not even go the second semester and I did not withdrawl...

I had a 85 in Algebra for first semester and a 63 second semester.  Then moved and went to Ga and failed Algebra and Geometry again due to excessive absence.  Needless to say my GPA was abysmal for the first few years but I buckled down and was able to raise my GPA up quite a bit.

I really did not have a hard time in math, I think for the most part I was just young and dumb.  I have taken some college and my GPA has been above 3.5.

I am dead set on going into the Nuke Field and I would like to get my Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology.

What are some ways to increase my chances to be accepted.  Would it help if I did some college math before trying?

AskewDivergent

« Reply #68 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:28 »
I know that I'm not the only Nuke Recruiter on this forum, so you other guys feel free to chime in on this too.

My big concern is grades...
As is theirs...
I had a 85 in Algebra for first semester and a 63 second semester.  Then moved and went to Ga and failed Algebra and Geometry again due to excessive absence.  Needless to say my GPA was abysmal for the first few years but I buckled down and was able to raise my GPA up quite a bit.
Why were you absent in the first place? The guys that approve these waivers aren't only interested in the problems, but also the reason behind the problem.
I really did not have a hard time in math, I think for the most part I was just young and dumb.  I have taken some college and my GPA has been above 3.5.
Were any of these college classes in Math or Science? If not, you should consider taking some and proving that you have the discipline to get decent grades.
I am dead set on going into the Nuke Field and I would like to get my Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology.
BZ on the ambition, but everyone needs a backup plan.
What are some ways to increase my chances to be accepted.  Would it help if I did some college math before trying?
Like I said, math and science. Plus, even though you may not be required to do this based on your ASVAB line scores, it would help if you took the Nuke test (NAPT).

psmarz

« Reply #69 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:29 »
Why were you absent in the first place? The guys that approve these waivers aren't only interested in the problems, but also the reason behind the problem.

Part of the problem when I was little I was sick a lot.  My brother had a form of leukemia which I do not have but he would get sick from the slightest thing and would get everyone else sick.  The High School I went to down in S FL was not a good school either...and I dropped out second semester and moved to Georgia where I completed school.

It has been quite a few years since I had high school so I have been studying and I have seen that Chemistry will also be on the NAPT test.  Thankfully I had up to Chem II in high school and I still have Chem II material...was quick to pick back up on material.

I have grown up a lot since my earlier years of school.  None of the classes I have taken in college dealt in science or math.  The college was for law enforcement cert...and I was dual enrolled up in GA and took Customer Service Cert for high school creds.

So to increase my chance I should go take a science and a math?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #70 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:46 »

So to increase my chance I should go take a science and a math?

I'd guesstimate nothing short of a completed degree in hand will get you approved IMHO.

psmarz

« Reply #71 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:00 »
So potentially...go in as EM...or whatnot...do my time...

Then do the work to get a Engineering degree and make sure I have to the requirements to go into NUPOC?

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:04 »
NUPOC will require a year of calculus and a year of calc-based physics.  If you haven't taken that in college and don't have pretty solid grades you may not be competitive.  Going enlisted to start and putting in an officer package later on isn't a bad way to go.

psmarz

« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:16 »
I was fifteen/sixteen at the time.  Twenty-five now so I am willing to take the hit for mistakes in the past and just correct.  Good grades has not been a problem since I applied myself.  Worst case I do not get accepted going enlisted and go on as a normal EM, ET, or MM and when I have fulfilled my time put in that remaining effort to pull a BSET and complete the requirements to turn around and go back the officer route.

I have attended two colleges so far, though for certification purposes.  The first was when I was up in Georgia and was still in High School.  I had a a 3.75 there and ended up moving back to FL after High School and attended college down here for Law Enforcement Cert and received a 3.64 for that.

For the most part I am looking for something in the long-run and a long-term career.  Even before I considered going into the Navy I have had a fascination with physics on the quantum scale and maybe I am just a nerd but I am looking forward to the large hadron collider finally getting up and running in 09'.

I should be taking the ASVAB very soon and have been able to score, in practice, higher than 300 in AR+MK+EI+GS and have been able to top 400 in VE+AR+MK+MC.  My AFQT has been low 90's in practice and thankfully I was able to find my old Chem II notes and stuff like balancing equations readily came back to me.   
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2008, 05:35 by psmarz »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?