Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waivers

Author Topic: Waivers  (Read 52343 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Waivers
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:59 »
Let me get this right.  A nuke candidate flunks out at NFAS or NPS.  If he's a decent guy or gal he can be a CT.  So that makes being a CT harder to get?  You are right about the security clearance (in some cases).

Yup I know at least a dozen CTs that were nuke waste.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #51 on: Mar 10, 2008, 04:46 »

Yeah right. Most CTs I met shouldn't be allowed to pump their own gas. I bet most nukes could pass CT School, most CTs could not pass nuke school. My neighbor kid, who is a Grade A idiot if there ever was one is a CT3.

Mike

Are you implying that nukes cant be morons? If so, I think you should have a visit to the USS Eisenhower ;) (hint - look up half of my posts;))

Just because I say its hard, doesnt mean I meant it's harder then nuke. Its completely different, and still freakin hard. Flunking out of the pipeline doesnt make them less smart, it makes less able to handle the situation (most of what I've seen anyway). 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #52 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:22 »
Lets all just let this go. The seas are calm around here right now... until the next storm comes through. :)

God I am such a diggit 7 months past EAOS.  :P

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #53 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:41 »
No, I'm saying on my dumbest day I'm smarter than the smartest CT. Now back to your quals son.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:23 »
No, I'm saying on my dumbest day I'm smarter than the smartest CT. Now back to your quals son.

You need to have a chit chat with my father. one of those "dumb" ct's you will meet. When you can speak 11 languages fluently, support a board of advisors to the president, and juggle other command issues at the same time, then you can compare yourself to him. That said, you cant compare CT vs NUKE. Its completely different.

As well, Im not your son, and my time off is my time off. I dont support your watchbill, and never will, so get off my butt about my quals (of which I'm stupidly ahead on.)   

smite me if you want, but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:04 »
Not true.    Prior to getting access to the TS information you have to have your clearance finalized which, in most cases, requires a polygraph.
I was OTL on this.  JC required TS/SCI.  The SCI requires a polygraph, not the TS.  Most officers and a few other rates have TS on SSN/SSBN.  They get their TS w/out polygraph.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Physics

« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2008, 05:06 »
     I had three waivers for Nuke officer...  two for grades and one for age.  They did not grant me a waiver for a D in Differential Equations.  Maybe they're getting tougher on officer candidates...?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2008, 07:29 »
     I had three waivers for Nuke officer...  two for grades and one for age.  They did not grant me a waiver for a D in Differential Equations.  Maybe they're getting tougher on officer candidates...?

No, they just couldn't believe that someone got a D in Diffeq.

Justin

mishin

« Reply #58 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:15 »
Why must you have a waiver for dropping a college class?

I took the Nuke test today, and passed! Now just for the medical exam!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #59 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:27 »
Why must you have a waiver for dropping a college class?

I took the Nuke test today, and passed! Now just for the medical exam!

Congrats, keep up posted!

Well back when I was in school, dropping a class was the same, if not worse than, failing a class. Having a big fat W on your transcript raises questions of reliablity and ability with some people. Wouldn't surprise me, and in fact would bother me, if the Navy didn't look at Ws with great scrutiny. Some extraordinary circumstance aside, a W simply shows a lack of commitment and/or ability... IMO.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008, 08:28 by JustinHEMI »

Physics

« Reply #60 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:27 »
No, they just couldn't believe that someone got a D in Diffeq.

Justin

Thanks for the welcoming response to my first post ever on NukeWorker (that is called sarcasm).  I want to be a nuke officer very badly.  I graduate with my physics degree this December, and I would appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.   I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball.  I was told by 'a high ranking official' at Nuclear Reactors at the beginning of this semester (my last semester) that I would probably get the waiver without retaking it... otherwise I would have.      But, alas, I didn't get the waiver.   Now I am getting closer to graduation, and to my 29th birthday...  so I don't know if it's worth it to stay in school another semester just for that class.  Seems like they'd just waive it.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #61 on: Oct 31, 2008, 09:44 »
 I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball. 

Sometimes real life intrudes. If your child is sick, but the ship deploys next week on WestPac 2010, which is not a priority, and would you drop the ball?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #62 on: Oct 31, 2008, 11:02 »
Thanks for the welcoming response to my first post ever on NukeWorker (that is called sarcasm).  I want to be a nuke officer very badly.  I graduate with my physics degree this December, and I would appreciate any advice I can get on this situation.   I had my first child the semester I took Diffeq, and it is NOT required for my major (I was taking it for fun).  So, needless to say, it was not a priority and I dropped the ball.  I was told by 'a high ranking official' at Nuclear Reactors at the beginning of this semester (my last semester) that I would probably get the waiver without retaking it... otherwise I would have.      But, alas, I didn't get the waiver.   Now I am getting closer to graduation, and to my 29th birthday...  so I don't know if it's worth it to stay in school another semester just for that class.  Seems like they'd just waive it.

Being the expert in sarcasm that you are, how did you miss mine? (Clue: That was more of it). Lighten up.

DEQ was a requirement when I got my Physics degree, but then again, every school is different and times change. But that is neither here nor there.

I think your choice is clear. You said they won't grant the waiver, so that kind of narrows it down. You should re-take the class if this is really what you want to do. Why should they give a slot to you when there are many many more who didn't get D's in diffeq? Personal anecdotes aside, I have to go with Dave on this one.

Good luck and thanks for your interest in serving.

Justin

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #63 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:07 »
I just have to question some one working on a physics major and not having Differential Equations as a pre-req...I've taken the class and was a Chem major at the time and it was required..and if your 29 with a kid my gut tells me try the civilian side, a new child and a wife is a lot of non issued baggage that going to sea or in-port shiftwork don't and will never care about ( I don't meen to stop you, just pointing it out, the service did good by me)...it is always your call and besides I got the ultimate waiver...the waiver for having too many waivers..(sigh..gotta love it..) 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 05:16 by bdhoe »
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Physics

« Reply #64 on: Dec 01, 2008, 12:23 »

Thanks for the realistic advice...  very good points made.

drainbamage

« Reply #65 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:15 »
Thanks for the realistic advice...  very good points made.

You might look into DIO(direct input officers), the officer instructors in power school. It's a shore duty, no sea time except for a couple weekend field trips to sea, benefits and whatnot.

If you like it and your time is up, you can apply for a lateral transfer to another group.

Offline dagiffy

• Light User
« Reply #66 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:30 »
As far as waivers go, when I was at the recruiters they asked me if I had ever taken drugs.  I hadn't. They wouldn't believe me, kept badgering me about it. I felt it all slipping away, so I admitted to it. Immediately they produced a form for me to confess my sins and sign. Voila, a waiver for something I never did was complete and into the program I went.
This was 1984 in Yakima, Wa.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008, 02:55 by dagiffy »

psmarz

« Reply #67 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:11 »
My big concern is grades...

In 1999 I went to HS down in S. Fl. and the school was really rough.  I did not even go the second semester and I did not withdrawl...

I had a 85 in Algebra for first semester and a 63 second semester.  Then moved and went to Ga and failed Algebra and Geometry again due to excessive absence.  Needless to say my GPA was abysmal for the first few years but I buckled down and was able to raise my GPA up quite a bit.

I really did not have a hard time in math, I think for the most part I was just young and dumb.  I have taken some college and my GPA has been above 3.5.

I am dead set on going into the Nuke Field and I would like to get my Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology.

What are some ways to increase my chances to be accepted.  Would it help if I did some college math before trying?

AskewDivergent

« Reply #68 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:28 »
I know that I'm not the only Nuke Recruiter on this forum, so you other guys feel free to chime in on this too.

My big concern is grades...
As is theirs...
I had a 85 in Algebra for first semester and a 63 second semester.  Then moved and went to Ga and failed Algebra and Geometry again due to excessive absence.  Needless to say my GPA was abysmal for the first few years but I buckled down and was able to raise my GPA up quite a bit.
Why were you absent in the first place? The guys that approve these waivers aren't only interested in the problems, but also the reason behind the problem.
I really did not have a hard time in math, I think for the most part I was just young and dumb.  I have taken some college and my GPA has been above 3.5.
Were any of these college classes in Math or Science? If not, you should consider taking some and proving that you have the discipline to get decent grades.
I am dead set on going into the Nuke Field and I would like to get my Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology.
BZ on the ambition, but everyone needs a backup plan.
What are some ways to increase my chances to be accepted.  Would it help if I did some college math before trying?
Like I said, math and science. Plus, even though you may not be required to do this based on your ASVAB line scores, it would help if you took the Nuke test (NAPT).

psmarz

« Reply #69 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:29 »
Why were you absent in the first place? The guys that approve these waivers aren't only interested in the problems, but also the reason behind the problem.

Part of the problem when I was little I was sick a lot.  My brother had a form of leukemia which I do not have but he would get sick from the slightest thing and would get everyone else sick.  The High School I went to down in S FL was not a good school either...and I dropped out second semester and moved to Georgia where I completed school.

It has been quite a few years since I had high school so I have been studying and I have seen that Chemistry will also be on the NAPT test.  Thankfully I had up to Chem II in high school and I still have Chem II material...was quick to pick back up on material.

I have grown up a lot since my earlier years of school.  None of the classes I have taken in college dealt in science or math.  The college was for law enforcement cert...and I was dual enrolled up in GA and took Customer Service Cert for high school creds.

So to increase my chance I should go take a science and a math?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #70 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:46 »

So to increase my chance I should go take a science and a math?

I'd guesstimate nothing short of a completed degree in hand will get you approved IMHO.

psmarz

« Reply #71 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:00 »
So potentially...go in as EM...or whatnot...do my time...

Then do the work to get a Engineering degree and make sure I have to the requirements to go into NUPOC?

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:04 »
NUPOC will require a year of calculus and a year of calc-based physics.  If you haven't taken that in college and don't have pretty solid grades you may not be competitive.  Going enlisted to start and putting in an officer package later on isn't a bad way to go.

psmarz

« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:16 »
I was fifteen/sixteen at the time.  Twenty-five now so I am willing to take the hit for mistakes in the past and just correct.  Good grades has not been a problem since I applied myself.  Worst case I do not get accepted going enlisted and go on as a normal EM, ET, or MM and when I have fulfilled my time put in that remaining effort to pull a BSET and complete the requirements to turn around and go back the officer route.

I have attended two colleges so far, though for certification purposes.  The first was when I was up in Georgia and was still in High School.  I had a a 3.75 there and ended up moving back to FL after High School and attended college down here for Law Enforcement Cert and received a 3.64 for that.

For the most part I am looking for something in the long-run and a long-term career.  Even before I considered going into the Navy I have had a fascination with physics on the quantum scale and maybe I am just a nerd but I am looking forward to the large hadron collider finally getting up and running in 09'.

I should be taking the ASVAB very soon and have been able to score, in practice, higher than 300 in AR+MK+EI+GS and have been able to top 400 in VE+AR+MK+MC.  My AFQT has been low 90's in practice and thankfully I was able to find my old Chem II notes and stuff like balancing equations readily came back to me.   
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2008, 05:35 by psmarz »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?