Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career Path Options honeypot

Author Topic: Career Path Options  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Blue Steel

• Lurker
Career Path Options
« on: Oct 14, 2013, 12:07 »
Hi everyone, a little background on me: Nuke MM1 Subs 2003-2009, EWS/EDPO as MM2 and stood the watches on the regular watch schedule for a year and a half, QAI, Welder, Work Center Supervisor.  I was honorably discharged in Dec 2009 and i immediately began college and graduated this May with a BS in Mech Eng.  Started work with GE designing Steam Plant Accessory systems before GE decided to layoff 20% of their employees.  Taking this as a sign, id like to get back into the nuclear field.  Id like to stay northeast, but im not sure where i should even start.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013, 09:57 by Blue Steel »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Career Path Options
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2013, 12:21 »
Hi everyone, a little background on me: Nuke MM1 Subs 2003-2009, EWS/EDPO as MM2 and stood the watches on the regular watch schedule for a year and a half, QAI, Welder, Work Center Supervisor.  I was honorably discharged in Dec 2009 and i immediately began college and graduated this May with a BS in Mech Eng.  Started work with GE designing Steam Plant Accessory systems before GE decided to layoff 20% of their employees.  My manager is spineless and instead of laying off the underachievers, he took the easy route and let all the new hires go.  Taking this a sign that i would have blown my brains out sitting in a cube all day(no offense to anyone who does it, its not for me), id like to get back into the nuclear field.  Id like to stay northeast, but im not sure where i should even start.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

This can be a small industry. Caution in your rhetoric about past employers or coworkers when seeking a new position would be advisable. You put enough in your post to identify yourself to prospective employers looking at your resume. Your new employer could be one of those Dilbert cubicle dwellers and the HR people who screen your resume certainly are. Would you hire someone who bad mouthed his previous employer in an open forum.
   There is a diverse spectrum of people who come to this site from laborers, company managers, NRC, and security personnel private and government and many more. 

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2013, 12:43 »
Hi everyone, a little background on me: Nuke MM1 Subs 2003-2009, EWS/EDPO as MM2 and stood the watches on the regular watch schedule for a year and a half, QAI, Welder, Work Center Supervisor.  I was honorably discharged in Dec 2009 and i immediately began college and graduated this May with a BS in Mech Eng.  Started work with GE designing Steam Plant Accessory systems before GE decided to layoff 20% of their employees.  My manager is spineless and instead of laying off the underachievers, he took the easy route and let all the new hires go.  Taking this a sign that i would have blown my brains out sitting in a cube all day(no offense to anyone who does it, its not for me), id like to get back into the nuclear field.  Id like to stay northeast, but im not sure where i should even start.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just got out and started working in the nuclear field.  My strategy was going through company websites and looking for any job posting I met the requirements for (in operations) and applied.  It's pretty straightforward, it just takes some time depending on the hiring cycle.  Do you want to go into operations or are you looking at other areas in the nuclear industry?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2013, 12:49 »

Yepper that attitude will get you employed. I know of at least 4 regular posters here who have hiring input, wanna bet you got crossed off a few lists?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2013, 01:04 »
I'll get the 14 point oil change with the synthetic blend, thanks!  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?