Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Uneven enforcement suspected at nuclear plants

Author Topic: Uneven enforcement suspected at nuclear plants  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Uneven enforcement suspected at nuclear plants
« on: Oct 16, 2013, 12:41 »
"The number of safety violations at U.S. nuclear power plants varies dramatically from region to region, pointing to inconsistent enforcement in an industry now operating mostly beyond its original 40-year licenses, according to a congressional study awaiting release."

http://news.yahoo.com/uneven-enforcement-suspected-nuclear-plants-191626989--finance.html

Fermi2

Re: Uneven enforcement suspected at nuclear plants
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2013, 08:33 »
Nothing new there.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:07 »
Agreed. It has always been a case of which Region you were in. Because of the way the NRC was set up it was almost impossible to be any other way.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:44 »
Perhaps we should do a poll on the slackest or hardest Region? ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2013, 10:22 »
4 regions, same exam NuReg yet 4 different standards.

Offline AP1000Ops

• Very Lite User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:04 »
Having just moved from Region 4 (where I earned RO and Upgrade SRO licenses) to Region 2 (where I am currently enrolled in an ILT program), I am slamming right into this truth almost daily. 

And when you question the whys of this or that all you get in return is baffled looks like you are a heretic or flat out batsh*t crazy.    The smarter members of training will say the Region requires it this way.  When you ask if we can ask for an explanation from the Region of their reasoning, you get terrified looks, "Oh no! We can't go there.  It is what it is."

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2013, 12:01 »
Actually I was at a utility that asked. The answer was because we interpret the standard this way and because they are allowed to interpret... They do share their interpretations with the utility if asked. Region 2 has by FAR the most deranged interpretations I have ever seen and may the hardest in which to license.

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:26 »
4 regions, same exam NuReg yet 4 different standards.

And then there is that other industry group we all love.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:07 »
The Institute? You know back in days of old all Mad Houses were known as Institutions...

Offline AP1000Ops

• Very Lite User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2013, 07:01 »
Regarding different interpretations of the ILO Nureg...

The strangest (and most annoying IMHO) item is  this exam question writing methodology of "2-by-2" questions.  What I mean is an exam question that has 2 blanks in each of the 4 answers.  And you must get both "halves" of the answer correct to receive credit for the question.  

Region 4 specifically limited the number of these "2-by-2" questions to less than about 10% of the overall number of questions on the written exam.  Region 2 seems to encourage every question on an exam to be structured like this.  

The problem is some of the (even a lot of the time it seems) the two halves of the answer are only tenuously linked.   This effectively makes a 100 question SRO written exam a 180-200 question SRO exam.   IIRC the regulation and the Nureg talks about a 100 question exam.  When I pointed out to training that it appears the Region is being overly rigorous in the exam question creation expectation, and thus making the written exam not appear to conform to the Nureg expectation, their reply was the standard "well the NRC has the hammer and we are the egg...."

Really annoying.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2013, 12:07 by AP1000Ops »

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:29 »
I never minded 2 by 2. If you got the first half then you couldn't miss the second half.

My issue with Region 2 was their interpretation of an SRO level Question had to be the answer always had to come out of an RNO Column.

Offline AP1000Ops

• Very Lite User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:11 »
"If you got the first half then you couldn't miss the second half."

IF and it's not a given, the two halves are about the same thing or the second part is a consequence of the first part.  If they are unrelated or only tenuously related it really turns into two different questions that are "linked".  You earn credit for both or you earn credit for neither.  Like I said, annoying.

I agree with you about the RNO column.  As if SRO's only use RNO columns.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:48 »
If you don't get the first half you probably don't know your s**t anyway.  (I don't mean you specifically!)

My SRO Exam in region 2. Something came up in the Random Sample Plan. TVA said we do not expect this to be required knowledge for an SRO. NRC said tough it's in the Random Sample plan so submit a question. They can't go back and teach it now or they get into trouble. Lucky I believe an SRO should know everything so it wasn't a big deal to me but it shows how out of whack they are with reality.

Another had to do with a fire on the PRT and which TS instruments did you lose. About a day before the exam freeze we changed the TS to eliminate one of the instruments. The test reflected it but honestly that is such peon miniscule stuff it ain't even funny. As I used to say they teach us all about bugs then test us on bug crap.

I get that SROs should display deeper knowledge but being able to remember Step 36 RNO from E-3 isn't deeper knowledge, it's trivial.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2013, 03:49 by Nuclear NASCAR »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?