Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

the Meters

(1/7) > >>

idrum4food:
So, what's everyones opinion on different radiation detection devices? What meters stand up to the rigors of everyday rad techin. What types of remote monitoring systems are best (user friendly, ease of set up).

I like the old RO-2/2A but havn't seen many lately. I don't think I ever had one to fail the drop test. Meters of today just don't seem as rugged as the old 2/2As.

We used the Ludlum 2350 Data Logger for final surveys which worked very well for that application. Just log the data and down load it to a PC and it spits out clean copies of your survey.

Rain Man:
Give me a Cutie Pie or a PIC-6 and I'm good to go.

SloGlo:
2350s seem to work ok, but i prefer a 2221.... a bit arachic, i know, but they're like the everyready bunny.   ;D  inna plant, i too prefer the 2/2a, but iffen i gotta climb alot, i'll take a pic-6, instead.  tallywakers for S/G and crowd control.

RDTroja:
Geez, Rain Man, you are an old fart! A Cutie Pie? I haven't seen one of those (except the two-legged model) in many, many moons. I also have a soft spot in my heart (to match the one in my head) for the PIC-6. What's not to love about a lightweight meter that doubles as a doorstop or a hammer? I also think the RO2/2A is very rugged and reliable, but I have seen them fail drop tests. Of course 40 feet to the concrete is not a fair test (it was me or the meter. I think the consensus at the plant was that I made the wrong choice.)

On the new equipment front, I just finished an outage (widely written about in these pages) in the countroom using two Eberline HandECount scalers. Very cool machines. Self-contained counter/scaler with a scintillation counter using a Palm Pilot mounted on the top as computer/display. Sample tray is like a SAC-4. Lightweight, very portable, reliable and does most of the math for you. Even beeps when the count is done. I would change the software a little (what programmer wouldn't change someone else's code?) but overall an outstanding machine.

JIMBOMAFF:
They had those Handy-counters at CS-10 in Sac. I found them to be a POS.  Are you a salesman???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version