Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What to study for Navy Nuke Test  

Author Topic: What to study for Navy Nuke Test  (Read 43770 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: What to study for Navy Nuke Test
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:02 »
Who called them dumb? Certainly not me.

I was not pointing the finger at you. It is just a general stereotype that is often done in fun but could be misread by potential recruits.

Sonar Tech.  Hands down.

I'm going out on a limb to say a large portion of the nukeworker community on this site is involved with radcon or radhealth physics.  Naturally, that would lend a preferential nod to ELT. 

Mechanics are like the stereotypical jarhead marines.  Stupid proud.  Happy to go into any situation blind, dumb, and deaf, covered in lube oil and come out with a smile on ugly mugs, only their mothers would think was handsome, like there is no better job in the world. 

Now, being an ET,  everyone, together, hold your hand over your hearts.  I will say that being one of God's select few... doesn't really matter. 

A nod to Jason, and what he said.  You will recieve enough cross rate training that you will have some level of proficiency at just about anything.  Apply for whatever interests you personnaly.  As anyrate, you can always cross qualify on any watchstation (a few exceptions apply).  The best lower level watch I ever saw was an electrician.  The best Engineroom Supervisor was an ELT.  The best mess crank I ever saw was an ET.  Do what you want and don't worry about the rest. 

Well, after the lobotomy, the least they can do is put something back in,...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

consistency counts:

;)

The logic submariners use to justify their service choice is the same that Marines use when they live in barracks with no hot water as an E5 – it's silly pride.

The jarheads will tell you the rifle is for fighting the gun is for fun. ;D

Jarheads can talk?!?!?!?!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL :P ;) :) 8)

And yes GLW, you're hilarious. Thank you for the consistency.  +K +K

Offline asm5249

• Lurker
Re: What to study for Navy Nuke Test
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:23 »
Hey Rhager,

This is my first post on NukeWorker and I would like to introduce myself to all of you "out there.”  I have spent days on the NukeWorker forum as a guest and would first like to express my appreciation for all of the information you have presented.  My name is Andrew, I'm 21, went to Penn State for two years, worked at a nuclear power plant as an intern during my summers, dropped out of school, and am currently working at a hospital while finishing my associates in engineering at a local community college.

Rhager, I wanted to let you know that we all make mistakes.  Whether it is legal trouble or academic, we are all young and dumb at one point or another.  Nevertheless, do not kick yourself in the butt with a negative mindset.  Almost a year ago, I turned to the military with the thought that they would provide discipline in my life.  I never managed my time or set priorities, goals, and tasks while going to school (or at any point in my life, to be honest.)

I have always wanted to be a Marine, and it just so happened that at the time of my despair, a close friend of mine was working a recruiting detail at my local Marine Corps Recruiting Station.  He had intimate knowledge of my troubles and one day I inquired about responsibility and discipline in the Corps, and the prospect of joining the Marine Corps Select Reserve (Active) for the installment and application of those qualities in my future civilian life.  He immediately advised me that six months of boot camp and IT/SOI does not a man make.  Furthermore, enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve doesn't guarantee you a slot in the Active side (in fact, you must serve for a minimum of 2 years with your reserve unit before you can even put your transfer paperwork in).  Therefore, by enlisting in the MCSR, I would have done my unit and myself a disservice with 18-66 months of "I want to go Active" and "I'm in the same situation that I was in before, minus 1 weekend of the month and 2 weeks out of a year.”

I was desperate to and adamant about join the Corps.  What else was I supposed to do?  I was at the end of the line.  I had nowhere to go and nothing to work towards - no GOALS.  Nothing in life was important to me and everything seemed unimportant.

However, something eventually clicked with me - it was not that day, or even that month.  My friend said to me "Andrew, if you fall on your face, you need to get back up, admit that you fell on your face, and keep running."

And so, I got back up.  I admitted to myself that I fell on my face.  And day by day, I made a schedule for myself (from brushing my teeth/hygiene, to work and school and commute and TV and surfing NukeWorker.  It does not have to be down to the minute, but whatever you write - adhere to it!)  I slipped a few times but eventually I got to a point where I knew what I had to do and I just did it.  I found the motivation in wanting to better myself.  It is a weird concept, because I had always been working FOR something or someone other than myself.

Today, I am on-track to finish my associates degree by December 19 and ship to boot camp in April with a nuke contract.  I took the steps necessary to fix the problem in myself - without outside influence - and chose a path that will put me on track to success if I maintain this corrected attitude.

If you want the two cents of a stranger, it is my humble opinion that you continue with your education - even if it's a self-paced on-line class at the University of North Dakota - get your transcript, and discipline yourself because you want to do it, not because you have to.  Make an active choice to alter your lifestyle and join the Navy or Marine Corps because it’s your choice, not because you have to.  As I've experienced in my line of work and read here on the NukeWorker forums, you can dress a piece of sh*t in a uniform, but in the end he will act and perform at a level consistent with that of a piece of sh*t.

Thanks again for your time and the information that you present on this website - it has been an extraordinary help. Rhager, I wish you the best of luck with all of your endeavors.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 01:23 by asm5249 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?