Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Current state of commercial nuclear power

Author Topic: Current state of commercial nuclear power  (Read 19662 times)

Fermi2

Re: Current state of commercial nuclear power
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2013, 02:55 »
A nuke should be able to find the info he seeks, especially since it is already here in a searchable format.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2013, 03:59 »
I never troll. I say what is on my mind and given every bit of that info is already here I saw what I saw, another lazy Navy nuke.

(Most likely from Ohio :()0

inflection is so missed in cyberspace,...

you (and the other "dogs") being trolled, not you trolling,...

unless, of course, I am the one missing the inflection,....  :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2013, 04:31 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Tyson812

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2013, 04:56 »
A nuke should be able to find the info he seeks, especially since it is already here in a searchable format.
Wow. Another incredibly insightful post.

Offline z.james37

• Very Lite User
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:05 »
Wow. Another incredibly insightful post.
The best you can do is attempt to ignore these few drama queens and do not engage with them.  There are lots of useful individuals/posts here but a also a few clowns that feel obligated to reply to an OP question clearly not addressing the question or being useful…they simply feel the need to but in

Now, I did not get if you have an engineering degree or not.  If you do, whether specifically nuclear or not, as far as I have seen it is relatively easy to move from nuclear to fossil within engineering companies that support nuclear utilities.  I even know ex ops guys consulting (not contracting but working for companies) on wind farm projects.  These are all degreed engineers and that gives you flexibility if you have any engineering experience (operations included).  You learn everything on the job anyway so diplomas just get you in, your work ethic determines the rest. 

I am and have been involved with new nuclear generation in the US and globally.  The consensus is that nuclear won’t change in the US in the next decade (new capacity (Vogtle, VC Summer…) will pretty much compensate for the reduction due to shut down units.  Additional units that are on hold in the US may be initiated again once natural gas prices go up (this is not unlikely once the LNG export terminals are finished and a few years go by…these nat gas fields have high depletion rates).  In addition, nuclear has become a global business and there are ~ 50-60 units in construction right now (I might be slightly off).  Especially in the middle east, where they have no operational experience and required human capital they are turning to the US (just recently I saw one company looking for 30 procedure writers/ex ops people to work in  the US in support of the UAE units).  This trend seems to be in the beginning phase and will last for decades.  Wait until Saudis start spending money – within one year they will have lined up the reactor vendor and construction companies and I bet that will keep many people in the US busy as well (similar to the benefits their oil boom benefited companies here).  Bottom line, speculating now what will happen down the road is more or less pointless…whether you get a job in the nuclear industry or elsewhere.  The fact is that hard working people end up taking care of themselves. 

Offline Tyson812

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2013, 05:24 »
 +K thanks

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2013, 07:35 »
Pretty good post overall, just one bit of dissent:

Wait until Saudis start spending money – within one year they will have lined up the reactor vendor and construction companies and I bet that will keep many people in the US busy as well

In light of the recent political snafus between the US and them (that won't be described outside of GM:PolySci, just 10 cents a day to joinTM ), I'd bet anyone an Oktoberfest lunch that the reactor vendor will rhyme with "Siemens"

Deutschland Siegt an Allen Fronten!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2013, 08:20 »
The best you can do is attempt to ignore these few drama queens and do not engage with them.  [...] a few clowns that feel obligated to reply to an OP question clearly not addressing the question or being useful…they simply feel the need to but in

Also known as "Don't feed the trolls"  :notrolls: :trollbash:

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2013, 09:21 »
yeah that was the problem, 812 fed/chummed up the troll water with his initial post.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?