Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help wanted in Fukushima: Low pay, high risks and gangsters  

Author Topic: Help wanted in Fukushima: Low pay, high risks and gangsters  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Oct 25 (Reuters) - Tetsuya Hayashi went to Fukushima to take a job at ground zero of the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. He lasted less than two weeks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/25/us-fukushima-workers-specialreport-idUSBRE99O04320131025

Fermi2

WOW no fortunes being made there!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
   Reminds me of the generator jumpers we lined up, burnt out after a one minute dive, and sent down the road long time ago.

surf50

Good times..I was one of those S/G jumpers. $5 per hour/84 hrs a week, is what they told you. Big money grip. :D
First time in, hand installing tubesheet plugs, one jump and I was done for the quarter.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
Interesting article Ksheed.  Six levels of subcontractors. Over 800 companies on site. Its pretty obvious that most of TEPCOs money is not being spent on actual cleanup.

I was wondering why there apparently arent any U.S. firms involved in the cleanup. Probably because the Japanese mafia doesnt want the competition.

The article also stated that their dose limits are 100 mSv over five years. 10 R per jump and you are done for five years?  Anybody know if dose received in Japan must be reported on your NRC form 4?  I read the instructions and it appears to be somewhat vague. I might consider it someday but I wont be cheap.

HeavyD

Six levels of subcontractors. Over 800 companies on site. Its pretty obvious that most of TEPCOs money is not being spent on actual cleanup.

Isn't this a snapshot of the normal business culture in Japan and even China?

Also, the article has glimpses into how much more rigorous the regulatory environment is in the US.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Interesting article Ksheed.  Six levels of subcontractors. Over 800 companies on site. Its pretty obvious that most of TEPCOs money is not being spent on actual cleanup.

I was wondering why there apparently arent any U.S. firms involved in the cleanup. Probably because the Japanese mafia doesnt want the competition.
It doesn't list any US contractors, but I know some were over there soon after the incident. At a networking conference last summer I visited with a Senior V.P. of one of the major US companies who had been over there. According to him they were there as consultants, but not supplying a work force. Apparently the majority, if not all, are Japanese Nationals. The pyramid scheme that is in place is scary. I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?