Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A Few Questions About Pipeline

Author Topic: A Few Questions About Pipeline  (Read 23212 times)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:09 »
The logic submariners use to justify their service choice is the same that Marines use when they live in barracks with no hot water as an E5 – it's silly pride.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:39 »
The logic submariners use to justify their service choice is the same that Marines use when they live in barracks with no hot water as an E5 – it's silly pride.

8) “Though pride is not a virtue, it is the parent of many virtues. ”

drayer54

Re:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:40 »
Because there were fewer of them in the really small space to share the water and beds with? They were probably more knowledgeable about cold water because of it.  I can see where you are going with this.

I think I get it now. The smaller the ship, the better the sailor. If only I were on a minesweeper!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:50 »
Because there were fewer of them in the really small space to share the water and beds with? They were probably more knowledgeable about cold water because of it.  I can see where you are going with this.

I think I get it now. The smaller the ship, the better the sailor. If only I were on a minesweeper!

You are getting closer.  ;) The larger the ship the more the phrase "many hands make for light work" applies and I would suppose "light sailors".

:P

"Life is too important to be taken seriously.”  Oscar Wilde

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: A Few Questions About Pipeline
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2013, 01:05 »
So, to start off, my DEP experience is coming to an end.. My ship date is 20131217 (I've been told to expect to possibly leave a little sooner than that by my recruiter(s) because of the December date, but who knows for sure)...

I have a few questions for those who are currently in the pipeline/have gone through the pipeline fairly recently for the nuclear field. They are just a slightly random collection of questions I have come up with that I would like some input on from those that have more recent knowledge (as most threads/webpages I come across seem to be a bit dated)

Nasant my apologies we have kidnapped your thread. However it is a glimpse of military mindset. On the boats we had a "Nukie vs Coner" rivalry when we were not pinging on the targets (those light weight ships that only floated).

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re:
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2013, 01:31 »
...I think I get it now. The smaller the ship, the better the sailor. If only I were on a minesweeper!

well, there is a bit less of the second class citizen mindset that enlisteds run into vs the wardroom than there is on the capital ships,...

On the destroyer there is Officer's Country, but there are no Marines standing guard at the Gold Rope challenging unauthorized blueshirts,...

On the submarine, Officer's Country is a 20 foot hallway that leads from the crew's mess decks to the wardroom,...

All the officers are typically either on watch, sleeping, qualifying or reviewing something,...24/7,...

I surmise being an officer on a submarine is tougher than being enlisted,...

I also surmise being the CO of a fast attack or spec op boat is one of the best rides known to mortal man outside of piloting a jet fighter or an Apollo Command Module,...

You gotta pay to play,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 28, 2013, 02:58 »

I also surmise being the CO of a fast attack or spec op boat is one of the best rides known to mortal man outside of piloting a jet fighter or an Apollo Command Module,...

True during the Cold War..... but not true today.

Have you noticed the increase in COs that are removed for cause in today's navy compared to the past?

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

HeavyD

« Reply #32 on: Oct 28, 2013, 04:05 »
but there are no Marines standing guard at the Gold Rope challenging unauthorized blueshirts

There haven't been Marines on carriers since around 1999 or so. 

We had a MARDET on the ENTERPRISE in 1996, but their purpose was to guard the weapon magazines.

And I concur with GC's comment; my last 3 years on Active duty there was an average of 20+ COs removed every year for cause. 

Either that trigger finger was itchy or the standard jumped up.

Offline Nasant

• Lurker
« Reply #33 on: Oct 28, 2013, 05:03 »
   Nasant my apologies we have kidnapped your thread. However it is a glimpse of military mindset. On the boats we had a "Nukie vs Coner" rivalry when we were not pinging on the targets (those light weight ships that only floated).

No worries, I kind of expected it to happen when I asked the question. I was only curious, I have no real intention of going sub. Call it a lack of constitution or a lack of something, but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable more than 800ft under the surface. Thanks to those that helped answer my questions though!  :)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Oct 28, 2013, 05:50 »

I don't ever remember having barracks without hot water. However it was 3 to a room until you made E4.

Always quick to pick on the Jarheads.

The jarheads will tell you the rifle is for fighting the gun is for fun. ;D

Jarheads can talk?!?!?!?!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 28, 2013, 06:00 »
No worries, I kind of expected it to happen when I asked the question. I was only curious, I have no real intention of going sub. Call it a lack of constitution or a lack of something, but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable more than 800ft under the surface. Thanks to those that helped answer my questions though!  :)

Better lifestyle on the carriers and more opportunity for college etc. and more contact with your family but it was not for me I was not gung ho Navy I didn't even wear my first class crow on my work jacket but always my "dolphins". That and all the SciFi I read in High School, Arthur C Clarkes "Deep Range" may have romanticized submarines for me. In Nuke school we had a little bit of a lull in the class and we were asking the sea returnee sub qualified officer some questions about the boats, with the "Deep Range" in mind I asked if whales ever attacked the boat, without missing a beat be said yes but only during mating season. I heard about it for the duration of school with a few snide comments on my class picture.

Good luck and thanks for your service no matter where you end up.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2013, 07:43 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:32 »
but there are no Marines standing guard at the Gold Rope challenging unauthorized blueshirts,...

There haven't been Marines on carriers since around 1999 or so. 

Well, like I typed earlier:

But my experiences are way too long ago to be considered relevant to what the OP is looking for,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2013, 09:52 »
Nah. Unlike sub-marine-ers who are so bored that they spend their time brainstorming reasons that they are superior to everyone else, we usually talked about sports on tv, stuff on the internet, reflected on our time off, or visited with the people around us.

Besides, we still had to stand watch and keep all of our racks and lockers organized. I barely had time to stand in line at Starbucks before watch and iron my clothes after the laundry department was done with my uniforms. Who had the time to rate bash? I don't think I ever heard a mention of submariners in our berthing once...... Not once.
1) you go listen to air heads ask the same question every week about new uniforms and stricter pt regs. I didn't. In port it's picnics and holidays, neither of which you are getting.
2) if you want to play with lines, you can go do it. BM's love help. Working party volunteers needed too. Why does line handling help you?
3) how do you know about tolerance differences? We didn't make sad pandas and tunas left and right because of our hug sessions .
4) Nukes fight every plant fire and have a role in repair lockers. Turns out the whole navy does that dc thing
5) More diverse operations? Subs don't do s**t at sea. I'd love to see a sub do an equivalent of a tg bearing inspection or a feed pump turbine overhaul ( I did both).

Confirmation bias? Anyone?

The highest two people at my plant were not sub-marine-ers. They were low standard bearers of the specialized topside navy.

To the op: the phones never work, internet is slow by the 90's standards and the computer:sailor ratio is about the same as the attractive women onboard: total crew ratio. AFN commercials suck and there's nothing like a foreign port with your 6000 closest friends.
It's what you make of it on either. I know a lot more sub guys who had short sea tours though. From what I've gathered SSBN life is prob the most cake of them all but I suggest you look up hot racking.... Personally I never considered volunteering subs. Wasn't a tough call.
Good luck and I'm sure a few years on either, you will be proud of what you did and think the other guys are full of crap.

I'd like to see a surface guy take the plant solid, install a freeze seal, and cut out and replace a VOWF air operated globe valve, in a foreign port while on deployment, completing the first ever overseas major nuclear repair.

I've worked at two plants, and no surface guys are running the joints.

Your inferiority complex is ugly.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

drayer54

« Reply #38 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:13 »

I'd like to see a surface guy take the plant ......

I guess that is why sub guys are hand picked and selected to serve below the water line.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2013, 12:24 »
I'd like to see a surface guy take the plant solid, install a freeze seal, and cut out and replace a VOWF air operated globe valve, in a foreign port while on deployment, completing the first ever overseas major nuclear repair.

I've worked at two plants, and no surface guys are running the joints.

Your inferiority complex is ugly.

Justin

Bainbridge replaced a primary coolant pump in Subic Bay late 65-67 before her first refueling.  Maintenance back then on the primary side was forbidden by the Philippine government. 

Not saying who was first, as if it matters, you just go at it and do what you have to do and keep it quiet, except for bragging rights by the guys that did it.

Life on a nuke cruiser was not the same as bird farm or a boat.  Just somewhere in between, but we did have better and more frequent liberty ports then the other two.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2013, 12:36 »

Life on a nuke cruiser was not the same as bird farm or a boat.  Just somewhere in between, but we did have better and more frequent liberty ports then the other two.

I don't know how much that has changed but it was pretty good, back in the day, to pull into Hong Kong, Subic, Chinhae, Darwin, etc., with just you and 99 other sailors,...

I suspect our CO used to arrange his ports of call to avoid the big Navy visits and assure we were almost always the only game in town,...

I can remember only two ports of call where we were not alone, once there was a cruiser, another time there was a frigate,...

That doesn't count homeport of course, there was always all kinds of traffic in and out of Papa Hotel,...

And Yokosuka always had a lot of visitors too,...but Yokosuka is a big place,...and they were homeport to some big Navy group or the other,...

:-\

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2013, 09:12 »
Bainbridge replaced a primary coolant pump in Subic Bay late 65-67 before her first refueling.  Maintenance back then on the primary side was forbidden by the Philippine government. 

Not saying who was first, as if it matters, you just go at it and do what you have to do and keep it quiet, except for bragging rights by the guys that did it.

Good to know. I'll one line and initial my NAM.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2013, 03:03 »
I served on a Sub, Worked with many Nukes from Surface and Sub both in the Navy and Commercial. I never saw much difference in performance operationally though for true mechanical skills I found the surface guys to be better at it. I'm certain Surface dealt with their dirtbags in the same manner as their submarine brethren.

The big difference is ELTs are better looking and attract your hot actress/model types.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?