Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DOE Core Exam

Author Topic: DOE Core Exam  (Read 60185 times)

Chimera

Re: DOE Core Exam
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:45 »
That was just Imbimbo's clever (or so he thought) rewrite of calculating the airborne concentration from a leaking drum.  IP had us (the NUMANCO crew) take the same test they gave their house techs (after they had been through a 6-week training course) back in 1977.  One of the questions listed the curie content of six drums and wanted to know at what distance the high rad boundary should be posted.  I had never heard of 6CEN back then so I said I would post where my meter read 100 mR/hr.  Imbimbo had to concede that, while it wasn't the answer he was looking for, it was technically correct for a field tech.  I scurried back to the plant and counted my blessings.

spade

« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2009, 02:38 »
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to all of this Rad talk and am looking to change careers. I have talked with people in my area and they all tell me this is a great field to try and get into. I have checked with the local Tech. College but their program does not start for a 9 months and takes about 9 months for the class. Some have told me to just challenge the core test so I printed off the modules to start studying. A lot of info there but i think it can be done.
Does anyone have any great ways to help for the test and study guides? And am going about this the right way?

Ant and all input would be much appreciated!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:10 »
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to all of this Rad talk and am looking to change careers. I have talked with people in my area and they all tell me this is a great field to try and get into. I have checked with the local Tech. College but their program does not start for a 9 months and takes about 9 months for the class. Some have told me to just challenge the core test so I printed off the modules to start studying. A lot of info there but i think it can be done.
Does anyone have any great ways to help for the test and study guides? And am going about this the right way?

Ant and all input would be much appreciated!

Where are you?  Most DOE sites are only hiring people with experience &/or training...so you wouldn't get a chance to challenge the test if you are coming in off the street.  I know Idaho let a few deconners challenge the test a couple of years ago, but I had understood this wasn't possible anymore...?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:35 »
If you've never worked in the business, whether it be DOE or commercial, then getting a rad job starting out is pretty much impossible unless you know somebody who can give you a leg up.

Talk to Bartlett or Atlantic Group about upcoming junior decon work. Get a feel for the work and then try for a junior HP position.

there is tons of info in the "Getting In" part of the forum.

Welcome to Nukeworker.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 03:35 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

spade

« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2009, 06:02 »
I am in Idaho. I have heard of people getting in with just the Core exam but I am sure they probably had an in. I will probably sign up for the Tech college class and see if i can possibly get in before that. If not I will have that to fall back on. I have downloaded the study manual and figured it would not hurt to study and take the test. Maybe get my HAZWOPER on line too.

I am excited to pursue this as a carer path. I have been self employed for about 18 yrs and am getting tired of all of the red tape and lack of benefit's.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
DOE Core Exam
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:04 »
Where are you?  Most DOE sites are only hiring people with experience &/or training...so you wouldn't get a chance to challenge the test if you are coming in off the street.  I know Idaho let a few deconners challenge the test a couple of years ago, but I had understood this wasn't possible anymore...?

Just in Sept this year CH2M Hill gave a challenge test. Hired about 40 and the new techs are in  class now for 13 weeks ( site specific ) before showing up on site at Hanford

Offline Bingo

• Rad Supervisor
  • Light User
  • GO Cubs !!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:43 »
I am in Idaho. I have heard of people getting in with just the Core exam but I am sure they probably had an in. I will probably sign up for the Tech college class and see if i can possibly get in before that. If not I will have that to fall back on. I have downloaded the study manual and figured it would not hurt to study and take the test. Maybe get my HAZWOPER on line too.

I am excited to pursue this as a carer path. I have been self employed for about 18 yrs and am getting tired of all of the red tape and lack of benefit's.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If you have your Core card and HAZWOPER, AMWTP(in Idaho) will hire you in as a junior tech.  Right now there are no openings, but get your core card and HAZWOPER and keep checking the postings.  The EITC program is good to have, but not necessary.  However, with the theory and mathmatics you learn in this program,  I will tell you that getting qualified as a RT will be sooooo much easier/quicker. $$$

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:17 »

Just in Sept this year CH2M Hill gave a challenge test. Hired about 40 and the new techs are in  class now for 13 weeks ( site specific ) before showing up on site at Hanford

If you have your Core card and HAZWOPER, AMWTP(in Idaho) will hire you in as a junior tech.  Right now there are no openings, but get your core card and HAZWOPER and keep checking the postings.  The EITC program is good to have, but not necessary.  However, with the theory and mathmatics you learn in this program,  I will tell you that getting qualified as a RT will be sooooo much easier/quicker. $$$

Thanks!  Glad to hear it still is an option.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

spade

« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2009, 04:01 »
Thank you all for your help! I will get studying.

lance1086

« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:27 »
Is there anyway I can take the core exam? I recently completed a health physics program but the core we took at the end of the year didn't count. Now when I apply for a job they want experience and the Core completed. Whats the best way to get started in the industry or does it just take a lucky break?

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:29 »
I don't understand the DOE Core test. I took it at Argonee but Hanford and SRS will not take it as credit. Why don't have a universal test like NEU Exam?
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:22 »
SRS won't take anyone else's test score because of something that happened years ago. I don't want to get into it in this forum but IM me and I will reply with the reason why for you. Study hard because it is the hardest of the DOE tests.  Take care Henry

impactbob

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:55 »
All employers, please be wary when hiring someone when they state and prove they passed the DOE Core test.  I have interviewed 5  people that carry that card and none of them new how to read a dose rate meter.  It wasn't simply not understanding the meter; these individuals could not tell me what the meter was reading on any scale. 

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:42 »
All employers, please be wary when hiring someone when they state and prove they passed the DOE Core test.  I have interviewed 5  people that carry that card and none of them new how to read a dose rate meter.  It wasn't simply not understanding the meter; these individuals could not tell me what the meter was reading on any scale.

The DOE RCT Core Academics is an standardized academic examination.  It is based upon the 13 core modules.  In the DOE world, there is a second part of RCT training which is a 19 module which does include instrumention.  This part of the training should be provided by the Site at which the individual will be performing their duties.

RCT's are required to sucessfully complete the DOE RCT Core Academics, the Site Specifics portion, On the Job Training and Job Performance measures and at some facilities, a Comprehensive Examination and an Oral board.

So in a nutshell, individuals who are "Card Carrying Members" should recieve further training from the Employers so that they may effectively carry out their work.  If you need someone to provide this training, feel free to contact me so that I may assist you in your needs.
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:28 »
The irony here is everybody is looking for experienced techs with ANSI 3.1, DOE core, Respirator quals, able to run a 4 minute mile and a few other unique requirements. Yet, for that 20 years of experience and maintaining physical conditioning and constantly taking tests over and over, the companies continue to offer very low wages and then they wonder why they cannot fill their positions.   
 After all it is not rocket science.......

Content1

« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:37 »
The irony here is everybody is looking for experienced techs with ANSI 3.1, DOE core, Respirator quals, able to run a 4 minute mile and a few other unique requirements. Yet, for that 20 years of experience and maintaining physical conditioning and constantly taking tests over and over, the companies continue to offer very low wages and then they wonder why they cannot fill their positions.   
 After all it is not rocket science.......

You left out that they also expect you are fully trained on all the possible procedures at that plant after one outage, and are ready to go home early if you work hard enough and fast enough to put yourself out of a job so the management can get a bonus.

HeatherB.

« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:36 »
Nice of "impactbob" to come onto the site, make his one & only post about how incompetent the new DOE Core "card carriers" are. Are you serious with that nonsense??? God Forbid, some of us paid dearly in time, MONEY, and effort to learn & pass that test. I carry my card & will gladly take any site exam to reaffirm my Newbie Knowledge.

But I will be the first to say, the Core Exam was academically based... textbook knowledge. Seeing a picture in a book of a meter  or learning the intricate/scientific workings of a meter is WAY different than using one. That's what I thought our OJTs were for. Not to mention, I was lucky enough to work with a BUNCH of Sr. Techs who worked WITH the Jr's, rather than against us.

I'm guessing Bob doesn't try to make much of an IMPACT where he works... just tries to undermine his coworkers. Nothing like leading by example...  ::)

mostlyharmless

« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:33 »
While the core test is a good test of fundamental theory knowledge that you may or may not care about and may or may not be good at ( but like all sites you have to do it to go to work and get paid ) it does not prepare you far the work you will be doing. After years on the road I was somewhat prepared. The test I expected; the behavior of Pu238 and very dry Pu239 I did not. If you are through smacking each other with wet mop heads get a DOE core study guide or use the excellent one here at nukeworker and study so you too can get to work. Save the mops for the slugg trails of old hp techs.  Mostly,not completely,but mostly.

HeatherB.

« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:38 »
MEOW... TTarbox.

LOL ~ defensive much? My 5 posts trump his one. The DOE Core math taught me that.
My point was more about the "Be wary..." tone of his post.

Wow. That contemptuous & scolding tone of yours is really effective.

Save the mops for the slugg trails of old hp techs.

I <3 it. And I can run a 4 minute mile... should I have put that on my resume???
 :P

moondoggie

« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:21 »
 Part 4 of the RCT training manual (core academics) is exactly that. It does give you the qualifications to continue to part 6 (site specific) and, if required by your site, part 8 (oral boards). At my site, I do not expect an RCT to be able to fall right in and perform duties without having gone through the site and JPM's, unless they are a returnee.

As far as running a 4 minute mile, that only comes in handy when the Crit alarm goes off.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:40 »
It is not my intention to insult or deride. I am, or am becoming,an old tech. And yes I now leave a trail. It used to be a trail of fire, but now a mop is required. I have worked with some very,very good older than me techs, some that really did pull the rods on the sun. A passing grade on a test does not a tech make. I have worked with excellent and poor techs in both the commercial and the doe worlds. Some of the Best and worst have come from the navy and worked there way up from deconers( I did). I have no doubt some folks take the core and are unable to read a meter. Some folks work for years at my site and cannot read a meter. When I came through both oak ridge and srs I had to be 3.1 qualled, pass the core ,an oral board,do site specifics,a million jpms, only to be treated like I had never put on pcs before. Called rent a drunk, transient etc. Now I am a house drunk I guess. My point is to stop snipping at each other. Recognise our shared experiences, and help each other out. If anyone needs help with the core ,nrrpt,or just my two cents worth you are welcome to it. Sounds like a good couple of discussions. Doe verses commercial vs navy. What makes a good tech?  MH

Offline dvlpbob

• Very Lite User
« Reply #46 on: Aug 15, 2013, 02:24 »
Bob Florence here been out of the field for a bit need to brush up on the exams how can you help me ? Oh and I will pass it on reach one teach one  hit me at dvlpbob@gmail.com

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #47 on: Aug 15, 2013, 08:35 »
Bob Florence here been out of the field for a bit need to brush up on the exams how can you help me ? Oh and I will pass it on reach one teach one  hit me at dvlpbob@gmail.com

???

Chimera

« Reply #48 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:10 »
Anybody can duplicate the card in their computer.  Always check with their last work location to see if they really did pass the Core Exam.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?