Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Source Inventory

Author Topic: Source Inventory  (Read 8889 times)

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
Source Inventory
« on: Jul 22, 2013, 09:27 »
Are sealed sources required to be inventoried on a periodic basis if they are stored in the RCA?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
Re: Source Inventory
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2013, 09:43 »
I  had already seen that but that covers the medical field and I was looking for something for nuclear power plants. Thanks!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2013, 10:33 »
Have you searched your license/FSAR

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2013, 10:42 »
Required vs best practice.  I'd choose best practice.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:14 »
We do it as a best practice and I am not trying to get out of it just wanting to see if our procedure is correct in saying sealed exempt and non exempt sources inside the RCA do not have to be inventoried. Thanks for the help!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:57 »
We do it as a best practice and I am not trying to get out of it just wanting to see if our procedure is correct in saying sealed exempt and non exempt sources inside the RCA do not have to be inventoried. Thanks for the help!

If you don't inventory them.... how do you know they are there??
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2013, 12:42 »

It's been a long time, but I remember inventory and leak tests of all of our sources over exempt quantities sealed, plated, and gaseous.

Offline spikeree

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2013, 02:34 »
verbatim compliance with license conditions   

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2013, 03:57 »
Short answer is yes.

If your facility has standardized Tech specs then the requirements for leak test and inventory should have been moved to your SLC's (selected licensee commitments manual).

I have never heard of an exemption for source's within the RCA but depends on what your SLC's say.  There is a standard (somewhat) exemption for < 100 uci beta gamma emitters or < 10 uci alpha emitters.

sf

Offline Touche

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:44 »
Under what regulatory authority do you possess and use the sources? I would start there.

If the regulations are silent on the issue the NRC may have added License Conditions to your license requiring a periodic inventory (and maybe even a leak test).

NUREG 1556 Volume 20 Appendix E has a list of standardized verbage that may be used by NRC licensing personnel to add license conditions to a materials license.

For example:

For Inventories:  "The licensee shall conduct a physical inventory every 6 months, or at other intervals
approved by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, to account for all sources and/or devices received and possessed under the license. Records of inventories shall be maintained for 5 years from the date of each inventory and shall include the radionuclides, quantities, manufacturer's name and model numbers, and the date of the inventory."

The exception for Leak Tests:  "Sealed sources need not be tested if they contain only hydrogen-3; or they contain only a
radioactive gas; or the half-life of the isotope is 30 days or less; or they contain not more than 100 microcuries of beta- and/or gamma-emitting material or not more than 10 microcuries of alpha-emitting material."

It is possible that the licensee may have committed to a periodic inventory in its License Application and the NRC found that acceptable and it is included as a tie down thereby making it a requirement.

Again, it comes down to the question, "What's in your license (and tech specs and application and other tie downs)?"

I thought of another relevant standard license condition (it applies regardless of area classification, i.e., restricted, controlled, or unrestricted):

"Sealed sources need not be tested if they are in storage and are not being used; however,
when they are removed from storage for use or transferred to another person and have not been tested within the required leak test interval, they shall be tested before use or transfer. No sealed source shall be stored for a period of more than 10 years without being tested for leakage and/or contamination."
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 04:50 by Touche »

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:47 »
Are you licensed under 10 CFR 20 or 10 CFR 835, or some other CFR? What kind of facility are you dealing with? A plant has tech specs to consider. Some places have a technical basis for their controlling document. There is no one right answer because we are controlled by different requirements depending on where we are working.
So tell us what sources worry you and what kind of facility you work in and what your controlling documents are. But I'll be by the time you've answered those questions you will have an answer to the original question you've posed.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?