Did your RECENT NUF test ask about P10?

Yes, it asked about P10
1 (11.1%)
No, It did not ask about P10
2 (22.2%)
I don't remember
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: NUF P10 Question  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
NUF P10 Question
« on: Nov 03, 2013, 03:30 »
I've been told by a few people that the NUF test they took had a P10 question (10% Methane, 90% Argon).

Having taken the NUF via NANTEL in Apr 2011 and Apr 2012 at Columbia and Fermi respectively and having reviewed the Amazon Edition of Nukeworker.com Cram Notes (nice job by the way), I noticed the absence of these minor topics in the text.

F18
Glow curve
P10 mix
Gm sensitivity

The two tests I took were remarkably similar to each other and to the Amazon Edition of Nukeworker.com Cram Notes.

I've looked in the NUF study guide, and I see no mention of P10, or Methane.  The only mention of Argon (as a fill gas) is when it talks about GM detectors, and it states "the quenching gas is a halogen gas such as bromine or chlorine".

My question to you is this:  Since the NUF was added to NANTeL, have you gotten a P-10 question? If so, what exactly did the question ask? And what were the correct and incorrect answers?  I find it odd that there would be a test question that is not mentioned in the study material.

I don't doubt wlrun, but subsequent reports quote him so I would like it independently verified.  But it's just odd that there would be no mention of it in the 2005 study guide.

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I'll try to get the next version of the study guide released this year.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2013, 05:57 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: NUF P10 Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2013, 12:57 »
I've been told by a few people that the NUF test they took had a P10 question (10% Methane, 90% Argon).

I've looked in the NUF study guide, and I see no mention of P10, or Methane.  The only mention of Argon (as a fill gas) is when it talks about GM detectors, and it states "the quenching gas is a halogen gas such as bromine or chlorine".

My question to you is this:  Since the NUF was added to NANTeL, have you gotten a P-10 question? If so, what exactly did the question ask? And what were the correct and incorrect answers?  I find it odd that there would be a test question that is not mentioned in the study material.

I don't doubt wlrun, but subsequent reports quote him so I would like it independently verified.  But it's just odd that there would be no mention of it in the 2005 study guide.

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I'll try to get the next version of the study guide released this year.

I did sit for the NUF within this year, I don't remember if there was a P-10 question on it, but I wouldn't remember it as it would not throw me back,....

I concur it is not in the 2005 manual, I actually did read the current study manual this year through NANTEL as I had nothing better to do that day, and if P-10 was included in there it did not register with me as something odd to be either included or missing,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2013, 01:36 »
I did a search of the manual, neither methane nor P10 is mentioned.  I took the test this year to validate my book, and P10 was not on MY test, but that does not mean its not in the test database.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2013, 01:37 by Rennhack »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

kvanburen

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:31 »
I took the NUF on October 21st of this year and there were no P10 questions. Every question I had came from the full study guide or from
an abbreviated study guide made by Bartlett Nuclear personnel.

ISOCS

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:06 »
P-10 gas is used in the proportional region of the gas curve (Hence gas flow proportional counter). This is for proportional counters. Alcohol is used in the the GM region for GM detector quenching. The alcohol quenching gas can actually be depleted at about E10 to E12 total counts(or thereabouts) and the GM tube will need to be replaced with a new one. The "Moe" manual or Argon National Laboratories Manual along with the Gollnick Book explain each region in detail and why the gases are used in each region of the gas curve.

ISOCS

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:45 »
P-10 gas is used in the proportional region of the gas curve (Hence gas flow proportional counter). This is for proportional counters. Alcohol is used in the the GM region for GM detector quenching. The alcohol quenching gas can actually be depleted at about E10 to E12 total counts(or thereabouts) and the GM tube will need to be replaced with a new one. The "Moe" manual or Argon National Laboratories Manual along with the Gollnick Book explain each region in detail and why the gases are used in each region of the gas curve.

Yeah.  We know that.  That question is "If you took the NUF test recently, was there a P10 question on it."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?