Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Larry S. Giunta

Author Topic: Larry S. Giunta  (Read 6234 times)

Offline ICP Rad Training

• Very Lite User
Larry S. Giunta
« on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:37 »
It is with a broken heart that I post this.  We lost Larry Sat. November 2 2013.  His wife Colleen granted me approval to report this in case any of the many Rad Techs he has made friends with might see this or be here on this forum, .  

Larry was one of the original "Rent-A-Techs".  Starting in the early 70's driving the Helgesen WBC truck around the country to different Nuclear Facilities.   He was one of the original Rad Services heavy hitters, and I met him in early 1981 at Beaver Valley.  
 I was a  young man who fancied himself as a modern day mountain man from Idaho and I believe this is what drew Larry to talk to me.  Upon discovering our mutual intense love of hunting, a friendship was made that forever linked me to Larry.  I am sure it did not take him long to realize I was not all I bragged myself up to be, but in so, we discovered respect, similar mentality’s and a kinship.  He mentored me on the road to being a successful technician in our profession and also helped mold me in my righteousness, my manner and my being.

He was my mentor, my confidant and most importantly, my best friend.  My life will be forever lessened by his departure.................... .

Respectfully, Mark Phillips.

If you would like to send condolences or flowers, his funeral is tomorrow at Dusters Funeral Home in Tarentum Pa.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2013, 09:44 by ICP Rad Training »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: Larry S. Giunta
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:17 »
I always hate it when I see a post on the Fallen and there is no doubt that I know the person.  This is one of those times.  I knew Larry from the days of yore; RSI and the Beav figure predominately.  Larry was a good man to be around, quick with a joke and broad shoulders for the heavy lifting.  I always enjoyed working with him.  He had many a great story about his adventures out West hunting for elk.  I remember the time I split my skull at the Beav while reaching for my hard hat which had fallen off.  When I returned from the hospital later that day, Larry asked if I received stitches or staples.  When I told him staples, he wanted to know if I had asked for and got the disposable tissue stapler.  I thought that a bit weird, but told him yes.  He asked if I'd sell it to him for his First Aid kit to use while remote hunting.  I gave it to him, as I only thought it'd be a neat souvenir and had no thought about using it myself.  That was one of the last times I saw him, and I hope he never needed to use that stapler.
RIP Larry.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline radglo

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:55 »
I just read this about Larry. I knew him from the BVPS and Fernald. He was my supervisor at BVPS and I always enjoyed working for him. We shared many hunting  stories. Our prayers for, and condolences to his family.
Dusty and Tammie

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:19 »
I met Larry in the basement at BVPS where he showed me the ropes.  Later on we ran into each other at a gas stop in Ohio, he was going to Fernald and I was going to the Mound site. 

I started in this field with my Master's degree and wound up doing some tech work to get my head on right.  Larry was the guy that did it for me.  I will alway appreciate the time he spent to help me with that.

Scott

Offline jcouch

• Rad Wiennie
  • Light User
  • I can't believe they pay me to do this.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:26 »
damn........i dont get on here much any more but everytime i do i see a person that i highly enjoyed working with under fallen. spent many many hours hiding out in the boiler plant at fernald listening to larrys stories and looking at all the coins he found while treasure hunting. you work with so many people in this biz but only a handfull leave an impact on you and larry was one of them. such a shame that two others that also left their mark on me also made that list recently     :(RIP
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2013, 08:28 by jcouch »
If at first you don't succeed, make someone else do it for you ;)

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:01 »
Worked with Larry at the WBC at Pilgrim many years ago. A really gentle man with a heart as big as he was. He'll be missed. RIP
                                                     -Steve
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?