Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any Tips on Helping My Husband Through Shift Work?  

Author Topic: Any Tips on Helping My Husband Through Shift Work?  (Read 11201 times)

Offline nukewife55

• Lurker
My husband has been in the industry for a while, and is currently in an outage working 5am-5pm. This isn't too bad, but his career plan has him on track to be an operator/SRO. While my current job has me working long hours as well, I am concerned with how rolling shifts will affect us and our plans to start a family. (Note: we are a young couple - married less than 2 years - and all of our family is out of state) Any tips for managing shift work both short or long term?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Any Tips on Helping My Husband Through Shift Work?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 06:17 »
on rotating shifts...you either love it or hate it.  make sure you have a quiet room for him with windows blacked out.  white noise helps keep the daytime noise from getting to him, like a fan.  if he finds out he hates rotating shiftwork enough to do something about it, then you do have options.  My buddy moved to planning to get out of rotating shift work.  I found a new job.  But some people like it.  Good luck.  There are a couple of threads about it, search them for other ideas.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:23 »
He needs a cool, dark, quiet place to sleep during the day.  He should go to bed about 10 to 11 hours prior to each shift -- no sleeping right after a night shift.  That will give him enough time to get in a short workout and be at work on time and still be safe to drive home the next morning.  TiVo his favorite TV shows to watch in the morning.  Schedule meals in rotation so that he eats breakfast at home before work (regardless of the time) lunch at work, and dinner after.  The typical content of each of those meals provides the fat, carbs, and protein useful for that part of the day.  It won't do for him to eat waffles and fruit for dinner (in the am), Turkey sandwiches for breakfast and pork chops with pasta for lunch.  That will just fuel him up right before sleep and bog him down in the middle of his shift. 
A balanced diet, exercise, and a regular sleep pattern are all necessary.  So, don't be tempted to ask him to come to the kids' school during the afternoon when he should be sleeping.  It might be day for everyone else, but it has to be night for him without exceptions.
No caffeine starting with the last two hours of each shift. 
20 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical machine before work is a great way to warm up the engine.
Be disciplined.  It will be tempting to interact with him in lots of ways when he should be asleep.  Take him shopping or to the movies or get him to fix the dishwasher, but not when he should be sleeping.
Also, it may be hard for him to get to sleep in the afternoon when he is used to having you there.  If you can spare the time, take a little nap in the afternoon when he goes to bed.  It will help him sleep, preserve the bond between you, and get you a little rest break too.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:15 »
He needs a cool, dark, quiet place to sleep during the day.  He should go to bed about 10 to 11 hours prior to each shift -- no sleeping right after a night shift.  That will give him enough time to get in a short workout and be at work on time and still be safe to drive home the next morning.  TiVo his favorite TV shows to watch in the morning.  Schedule meals in rotation so that he eats breakfast at home before work (regardless of the time) lunch at work, and dinner after.  The typical content of each of those meals provides the fat, carbs, and protein useful for that part of the day.  It won't do for him to eat waffles and fruit for dinner (in the am), Turkey sandwiches for breakfast and pork chops with pasta for lunch.  That will just fuel him up right before sleep and bog him down in the middle of his shift. 
A balanced diet, exercise, and a regular sleep pattern are all necessary.  So, don't be tempted to ask him to come to the kids' school during the afternoon when he should be sleeping.  It might be day for everyone else, but it has to be night for him without exceptions.
20 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical machine before work is a great way to warm up the engine.
Be disciplined.  It will be tempting to interact with him in lots of ways when he should be asleep.  Take him shopping or to the movies or get him to fix the dishwasher, but not when he should be sleeping.
Also, it may be hard for him to get to sleep in the afternoon when he is used to having you there.  If you can spare the time, take a little nap in the afternoon when he goes to bed.  It will help him sleep, preserve the bond between you, and get you a little rest break too.

We are talking about a man here right?!?

I mean that one looks like it was lifted right out of PETCO's "You and Your New Puppy" booklet,....

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [Flamer]

:P ;) :) 8)

peace ole buddy, and, as always, may God protect that special SFC in your life,....

Go Army, Beat Na Air Force!!!!!!!!!

heheheheheheheheheh,.... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:33 »
My husband has been in the industry for a while, and is currently in an outage working 5am-5pm. This isn't too bad, but his career plan has him on track to be an operator/SRO. While my current job has me working long hours as well, I am concerned with how rolling shifts will affect us and our plans to start a family. (Note: we are a young couple - married less than 2 years - and all of our family is out of state) Any tips for managing shift work both short or long term?

hamasamich said it best:

here's your reading assignment(s);

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,11224.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5627.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9264.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,11018.msg60066.html#msg60066

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16834.msg97508.html#msg97508

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13626.0.html

that should get you started,...

good luck, when I'm in the field and working shifts it's no big deal, it's even got advantages,...

when I'm home and working shifts it's sucky,...just sucky,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:13 »

Already Gone has great advice.  I would disagree on one thing.  Caffeine stays in your system for 10 hours (5 hr half life, so there is still 25% in your system after 10 hours, 13% after 15.), so don't have any for at least 10 hours before its time to go to bed.  Additionally, I prefer a HEPA unit in my room for the white noise.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2013, 11:19 by Rennhack »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:21 »
And a sleep mask is only $3 at Walmart
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

ridgerunner61

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:57 »
After spending 8+ years on a rotating shift here is what I found.

Before you decide if you love shift or hate shift give yourself some time to "get into the rhythm of shift". There are positives and negatives with shiftwork.

As far as sleeping during the daytime never had any problems. I would come home and after my wife went to work and the kid was at school I would go to sleep and then get up at a set time and start in on yard work or what ever needed done until time to get ready for work. I found that if I could get my yard work etc. done on nights it would free up my days off for fun stuff.

The thing is to make it work for you and your spouse. Remember that they also have to make sacrafices and fill in for you at times.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:52 »
Yeah it took me 2 years to realize I was walking around like a zombie more than half the time even though I was averaging 8 hours of sleep a day.  I hope this doesn't happen to you husband.  Like I said, some people love it, but I wasn't built for it.  I really wanted to like it, the flexibility it gave my life was awesome.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:22 »
Drugs

Provigil to stay awake and ambien to sleep.....these have made rotating shift work 100 times easier for me.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

ridgerunner61

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:29 »
take a bottle of tequila tip up for three bubbles... repeat as needed.... will sleep like a baby  ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:33 »
take a bottle of tequila tip up for three bubbles... repeat as needed.... will sleep like a baby ;D

It'll make him wake up crying every few hours?  ;)

...or wet himself?!?!?
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 05:34 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ridgerunner61

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:45 »
crying for more

Offline storm13

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:49 »
He needs a cool, dark, quiet place to sleep during the day.  He should go to bed about 10 to 11 hours prior to each shift -- no sleeping right after a night shift. 

??
Maybe your shiftwork is different than mine, and what I think she's asking.  I work 12.5 hour shifts, and I have a 40 minute commute to and from work.  By the time I get home after shift, it's already less than 11 hours before I have to be back, and right at 10 hours before it's time to leave for work.
I have just enough time to get home, feed the animals, go to bed, sleep for 6.5 hours, wake up and shower, grab some coffee, eat a bite, check on the animals, find something to take to work to eat, and head out the door.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?