Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Being denuked, looking for advice honeypot

Author Topic: Being denuked, looking for advice  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Harley1230

• Lurker
Being denuked, looking for advice
« on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:48 »
So I have been looking through the forums on here for the last few days along with GOOGLE and I can't really find a situation like mine so I wanted to post and see if any of the retired Navy nukes have some advice on which direction I should take. (Or anyone else for that matter). Currently in Groton, CT graduated prototype in September and got orders here as a submarine electrician. While checking in with squadron medical, they were going over my record and saw that I had a head injury in late 2011.  It happened in a-school and I was on hold for a couple months before being put back to FFD and completing the pipeline with no hiccups. Upon further review and a long conversation with the UMO, a waiver package was submitted for both submarine service and nuclear field duty. Apparently the UMO in Charleston should have done this in the first place instead on letting me transfer to Prototype. Waiver came back Friday and the head injury was disqualifying for both subs and nuclear field duty. Nuke can be wavered after two years symptom free (which will be the case this December )

So the waiver was put in to be processed for the month of December, so if I can get it waived I will be re rated to a surface nuke em and go on with my life and finish out my enlistment. However, with the military downsizing I want to be ready for anything, and wanted to see what my options could be with completing prototype and being in almost three years. I plan on trying to take as many clept exams while sitting here waiting for the waiver to be processed. But do I have a realistic opportunity for a NLO position if I'm competing with 6,8,10 year guys/girls with experience? The entire reason I joined the navy was to be a nuke and open up opportunities for myself and my family, and this whole thing is throwing a wrench in my original plan so I'm just looking for opinions on what some experienced people in the industry would suggest. If I do end up getting separated I want to at least be pointed in the right direction. I have a good mechanical background and I'm willing to put in the work and the time, just looking for some advice in the current economy. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Being denuked, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 10:28 »
I know 8 year nukes that were passed up over non-nukes without degrees.  That was a few years ago.  If you have an in or can WOW someone in an interview you have a shot, but you are at a disadvantage.  I would try to get a GOOD degree using your GI bill first.  That coupled with your small amount of nuke experience should be plenty to get you a shot at an NLO job.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:42 »
Huh, and all this time I thought a head injury was a prerequisite for subs.  ROFL

Druid

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2013, 02:23 »
I enlisted having had a prior skull fracture. I went surface so I never knew it was DQ for subs. Having made it this far, I would suggest that you try to work the system to remain in. At this point even becoming a conventional EM would have its value. Get some experience, even with a fossil fueled plant, then get out and work on your degree.

As Hamsamich mentioned, you might get lucky and fall into a great position anyway. Of course "luck" is not exactly a plan. I think that you're doing the right thing by looking at your options while waiting on hold.

Offline Harley1230

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:38 »
Thanks everyone for the responses. Still kind of getting the details worked out, but the people I have spoken with seem the think the waiver will go through so I'm just counting on that and trying to get some college done while I am here. I will definitely keep nukeworker posted, thank you for the responses and I appreciate the help. If things are starting to look not so good come December I will definitely be dropping resumes wherever I can just to try and stay ahead of the whole thing, let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:01 »
I recommend getting as much school work done as you can. I knew a guy who finished his undergraduate and graduate degree in his six years enlisted. I never understood how he did it, but I was always jealous.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:08 »
Go fossil. No one will look for you for an NLO Job.. You have no relevant experience and a degree most likely won't help you. You wouldn't pass my screening criteria I doubt you'll make it past any other. This industry is DOWNSIZING. Go VCoGen, Coal. Solar.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:06 »
Go fossil. No one will look for you for an NLO Job.. You have no relevant experience and a degree most likely won't help you. You wouldn't pass my screening criteria I doubt you'll make it past any other. This industry is DOWNSIZING. Go Vixen, Coal. Solar.

On the bright side, there is someone on here that can help someone interested in Fossil.....
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 04:19 by jams723 »

BuddyThePug

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:18 »
On the bright side, there is someone on here that can help Simone interested in Fossil.....

Just as in Prototype, the chances greatly increase if they bring a box of fresh donuts to that checkout  :P

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:47 »
Can you get in a R5 division on a tender if all else fails?
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:49 »
If you made it through prototype, you can get a job in a commercial nuke plant or a fossil plant or other industrial facilities. Make friends with people getting out and stay in touch. There are plenty of opportunities. The old folks are retiring and they are building new facillities. Whether you stay in or are forced out, keep looking. If you want to be an engineer or a manager, go for a degree. If you like hands on work, you are already qualified for an entry level postion.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:08 »
On the bright side, there is someone on here that can help someone interested in Fossil.....

He doesn't bring enough to the table. Hell I get plenty of resumes from 6 and outs.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:17 »
He doesn't bring enough to the table. Hell I get plenty of resumes from 6 and outs.

Hard a**, good thing we do not work together.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:43 »
Hard a**, good thing we do not work together.

LOL just being honest! We both know in Nuclear he won't get a look at all.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?