Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Future of Electric Grids: Distributed Generation

Author Topic: The Future of Electric Grids: Distributed Generation  (Read 14188 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: The Future of Electric Grids: Distributed Generation
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48 »

I would love for a "green" incentive utility to offer a pump storage option; use wind power to pump water from low on my property (e.g. a pond or the river or underground water) to an area high on my property (e.g. another pond). Then when electric demand was high enough, the utility could trigger my litle water turbine and produce actual useful energy when they had the need!

The metering, breaker installation and setup on that would cost as much as a really nice house (or one of DW's fancy cars) since the utility is getting a "green" incentive (i.e. purchasing power from a Qualifying Facility within PURPA regs under Title 18 Code of Fed Regs, etc) they have to install 'revenue quality metering', MV90 etc.

Now, assuming your two huge ponds aren't huge (like the Duck Dynasty family lands), or you don't have like 1000 ft. of pump head between your two ponds and you aren't going to generate more than 1 MW peak at any time, you should be fine. Because.....if'n ya do ever hit the 1MW mark, it'll cost ya. Big time. You have to have on file, prior to hitting 1 MW, a Form 556 on file with FERC. The form is free, but getting the lawyers who file with FERC to prepare and send it for ya is about as much a nice truck fit for an SRO ;)

p.s. By the way, on those rooftop solar setups what the utilities loooove to do, is have the inverter from your panels tie in upstream of the 'smart' meter. That way, even during a bad summertime peak load event where the utility is reducing voltage system-wide (it helps reduce a smidgen of load), they can drop your house, but your solar power keeps flowing.....to the utility!! (Score!!  Now y'all know why it's called a Smart Meter).

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 03:45 »
The metering, breaker installation and setup on that would cost as much as a really nice house (or one of DW's fancy cars) since the utility is getting a "green" incentive (i.e. purchasing power from a Qualifying Facility within PURPA regs under Title 18 Code of Fed Regs, etc) they have to install 'revenue quality metering', MV90 etc.

But I live in Gig City!!!    https://epbfi.com/internet/ 
My current system is supposed to meet all the criteria on the utility's side.
But I am not building an electric generating windmill, and there are no partial hydro incentive programs.
As far as the size, I am only thinking of the Grist Mill on the east end of the Smoky Mountain National Park: 2" pipe with 20' drop generates about 8 hp continuous. That is equal to the noisy things my neighbor fires up after frozen tree limbs take out the electric power.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 04:24 »
But I live in Gig City!!!    https://epbfi.com/internet/ 
As far as the size, I am only thinking of the Grist Mill on the east end of the Smoky Mountain National Park: 2" pipe with 20' drop generates about 8 hp continuous. That is equal to the noisy things my neighbor fires up after frozen tree limbs take out the electric power.

Now THAT is an admirable rig ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?