Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Education Needs to Transition from Nuke Subs to Civilian ___?___ Field honeypot

Author Topic: Education Needs to Transition from Nuke Subs to Civilian ___?___ Field  (Read 6726 times)

Offline KBNCO Director

• Lurker
I would enjoy and appreciate hearing from anyone who has transitioned from the Nuke Sub community to any civilian career.  Specifically how was your Navy training accepted, what further education/training, degrees, certs, etc. did you need, what schools did you use and find most effective and helpful to you.

We'll pass this info on to the hundreds of Sailors who come to us for assistance.

Thanks in advance.

GW

Fermi2

Or tell them to come here and use the search function...

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
I would enjoy and appreciate hearing from anyone who has transitioned from the Nuke Sub community to any civilian career.  Specifically how was your Navy training accepted, what further education/training, degrees, certs, etc. did you need, what schools did you use and find most effective and helpful to you.

We'll pass this info on to the hundreds of Sailors who come to us for assistance.

Thanks in advance.

GW
I made the transition just recently.  I got my position based on networking... it was more about who I knew and less about what I had on the resume.  YMMV.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

Which job did you take?

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Which job did you take?

Project Manager.  I'm going to attempt to break away from "engineering" for a little while!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

Awesome. I am finding Non Nuke to be a GREAT time!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
A year or so prior to my EAOS my next door neighbor asked me if I was considering leaving the service and if so if I wanted a job,...

I said sure,...

Then he told me everything to do and just as importantly, what not to do,...

Lacking that, the search function here is a gold mine just waiting for your cyber pick and shovel,...

Your hundreds of sailors could ask us to pick, shovel and cart that gold out to them,...

We already went through all the effort to put it here for them, I can't speak for the others, but I am a bit too tired to haul it out and lay it down before them too,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

I also feel, why should I do a headhunters research for them?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
I made the transition just recently.  I got my position based on networking... it was more about who I knew and less about what I had on the resume.  YMMV.

Cheers,

GC

My caveat to that paradigm of "who you know" is:

The people who know you, know what you bring to the table,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

Agreed. The job I am in now... the VPs and Directors were having a meeting discussing Ops Standards and Training and how far they had to go. A guy in that meeting was an instructor with me at A1W back in the 80s, then he worked for me at Fermi. He said I know just the guy but I know we will never get him away from the Nuke Industry. I registered on LInkedin that day. He found my profile, saw I was retired and contacted me. 2 weeks later they posted the bid, two weeks after that I interviewed, they offered the job that day,  took a couple weeks to get my background and drug screen done. 
So yeah in this case it was part who I knew but as he told the company, We ain't hiring a rookie here.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?