Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Operations 8 hour shift and NFR honeypot

Author Topic: Operations 8 hour shift and NFR  (Read 15919 times)

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Operations 8 hour shift and NFR
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:34 »
I'm starting this thread to poll the industry and find out if there are any sites where the Ops department is working an 8 hour shift rotation.  Based on discussion with a fellow operator at my plant, we are not sure that *anyone* out there is doing it.  Even if your plant is working a 12 hour rotation, please feel free to post here or send me an instant message. 

The new NFR rules are confusing at best, and I'm curious about the impacts of the new rules as it relates to rotating 8 hour shifts.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
Re: Operations 8 hour shift and NFR
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:48 »
Are you asking about the alternate ruling AKA Avg 54?

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:14 »
New rules?

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:25 »
In 2011 another option for fatigue rule became available.   Same base rules (b34/9, 72/168, etc...), but instead of minimum days off it's a weekly avg of 54 hours a week.  Some differences in how the avg periods are calculated.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:27 »
Ah TVA did not implement it.

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2013, 12:11 »
Quad uses a 8/12 hybrid schedule. 8 hour shifts during weekdays and 12s on the weekend.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2013, 12:49 »
Well, I wasn't putting this up to ask about any new alternate rule sets (Avg 54), really I was just trying to do some internet benchmarking, if you will.  I guess now I gotta start looking into that.

"New" is a relative term: relatively speaking, I'm still 'new' to this industry.

AS40, can you send me an example of that rotation?

Offline JRC27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2013, 02:44 »
We work 12's

Offline hiddencamper

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2013, 04:02 »
Clinton is working 6 crew 8s and transitioning to 5 crew 8s next year.

They need union votes before they can go to 12s. The younger ops want it, the older guys dont. We'll see how it goes.

Offline STGN

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:32 »
We work a 12 hour 5 week schedule at my plant, or will be come the first of the year.  Corporate is forcing us to change to it from a 10 week schedule.  We did change to the total hours worked vs days.  Doesn't seem to make too much difference.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:31 »

They need union votes before they can go to 12s. The younger ops want it, the older guys dont. We'll see how it goes.

This is how it is at BV. The old guys remember the days of working 7 12s because there were no work hour rules, and instead of being rational adults and using reason, they say "I'll put in my papers if we go to 12s." In effect, they are holding the rest of the people hostage.

Personally, I'd call their bluff.

12s is the way to go.

Justin

PS We are likely going to be on 5 crews 8s soon as well, since the union has failed to provide adequate candidates to qualify as RO, and we're running low on them. That's going to be awesome. /sarcasm.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:50 »
Weekly rotating 8's here. Although not a nuke plant so probably not pertinent.

Offline JRC27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:42 »

PS We are likely going to be on 5 crews 8s soon as well, since the union has failed to provide adequate candidates to qualify as RO, and we're running low on them. That's going to be awesome. /sarcasm.
LMAO, we are running 5 section 12's with only 14 RO's and one retiring in the spring.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:45 »
When I interviewed at Robinson they had 7 ROs for 5 shifts.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 03:58 »

Clinton is a single unit site, correct?  What does your 6 crew rotation look like?  Why are you considering going to five crews?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:41 »
LMAO, we are running 5 section 12's with only 14 RO's and one retiring in the spring.

We're down to 13 at one unit, on 6 crew 8s. Several leaving soon. To hold off from going 5 crew 8s, the remaining ros have agreed to pick up as much ot as possible within the work hour rules. When that's no longer possible, both units will go to 5 crews since training won't be able to support one unit on a five week rotation and the other on six.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2013, 07:45 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2013, 11:43 »
Does anyone have an example of a 5-crew 8s schedule VS a 6-crew 8s schedule?  I know the number of weeks per evolution is different, but I was wondering how they broke them both down.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2013, 05:21 by kmatney »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:11 »
At Columbia we have (6) crews working a (6) week rotating schedule of 12 hours shifts except for our training week (which is (4) 10 hour days)

Per crew  
3 HP
1 RP Laborer
5-6 EO's
3-4 RO's
1 Control Room Supervisor
1 Shift Technical Advisor
1 Shift Manager

And lots of fun  :D

Edit: How could I have forgot the lovely Chem Techs......one per crew
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2013, 05:17 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?