Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Wrong Physics classes in college

Author Topic: Wrong Physics classes in college  (Read 3612 times)

Offline ScubaStv

• Lurker
Wrong Physics classes in college
« on: Nov 30, 2013, 02:55 »
Just a little bit about myself:  I have a BS in Biology, 3.65 overall GPA, 3.88 in courses pertaining to my major, President of Biological Honors Society, Honors Program student, and tons of volunteer hours.  Also, before college (I am 28) I worked for a civil engineer.  He taught me everything he needed to in order for me to do his job for him..  He took a lot of vacations.  Now that I have my degree, I am back in the engineering field.  Currently I design and draw residential homes under the supervision of a different engineer.

I want to apply for SWO(N).  However, I took algebra based physics in college and only Calc I. I did very well in these courses, and I am sure that I wouldn't have a problem in Calc II or calculus based physics.  I am just fearful that it will be too late.  I would gladly enroll as a non-degree seeking student just to take these classes.  I have read that there are waivers for age and for those without these classes, but I know that waivers can be a longshot.

I met with a recruiter who was supposedly an officer recruiter, but he did not seem very helpful.  He told me that the non nuke SWO was closed until Oct 2014, but did not mention the nuke option.  He is enlisted, and seemed very excited when I started talking about the possibility of rescue swimmer.  So now they are trying to get me to go the enlisted route with hopes that I can get into OCS when SWO opens.  I scored a 94 out of 99 on my practice ASVAB, and they told me to do research on everything I'm interested in because if I do that well on the real ASVAB, I can get into anything.  They seemed pretty certain that I would have no problem getting into OCS once it opens.  I feel like they aren't being completely honest with me.

I am meeting with them again this week, but I would like to be more informed about the Nuclear SWO qualifications before I go.  If anybody has any advice to give, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Wrong Physics classes in college
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2013, 04:55 »
I want to apply for SWO(N).  However, I took algebra based physics in college and only Calc I. I did very well in these courses, and I am sure that I wouldn't have a problem in Calc II or calculus based physics.  I am just fearful that it will be too late.  I would gladly enroll as a non-degree seeking student just to take these classes.  I have read that there are waivers for age and for those without these classes, but I know that waivers can be a longshot.
You have a very similar academic profile as I did.

There are no waivers for the basic calculus and physics sequence. You will need to go back to school to qualify, which is probably what your recruiter was getting at when he started talking about conventional SWO. If you find a big university that offers the classes in the 'off cycle' semester and ask nicely, you can probably do it all in one semester.

Also, the ASVAB means nothing for officer programs. You need to take the ASTB, although when I applied the nuke program didn't even use that, it was simply a go/no-go for GPA. Your recruiter got excited because you started telling him about how he can get a 28 year old person with a college degree to enlist.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2013, 12:24 by spekkio »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?