Career Path > Tax Q&A

Need help with new per diem rules

<< < (5/7) > >>

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: ksheed12 on Dec 12, 2013, 01:17 ---
This is a true statement and a good pipefitter/welder can find good work outside the Nuclear Industry as well. If the want to they can pretty well work year round. However, I would never seriously refer to an Industrial Pipefitter as a Plumber. Maybe as a joke, but only if I knew them well enough to speak to them in such a derogatory manner.  [2cents]

--- End quote ---

Most licensed plumbers make more than RP techs, work indoors, OT when they want it, and have retirement through union (at least up here in MA). They don't travel, stay fully employed. Friend up the street just went back to plumbing after a couple years with Home Depot while he got his back fixed. Even HD paid him more than most RP techs...

hamsamich:
Derogatory?  I wish I made as much money and was as important to a community as some of the top plumbers out there.

61nomad:
 Even HD paid him more than most RP techs...

OK HouseDad, I call your bluff on that one!

(Sorry to hijack the thread but it was falling apart anyway)

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: BetaAnt on Dec 12, 2013, 12:10 ---PD is taxable after a year but living expenses are still deductible provided you maintain a primary residence elsewhere (i.e. pay property taxes and utilities).

--- End quote ---

The IRS would not agree with that statement.

Ksheed:

--- Quote from: HouseDad on Dec 12, 2013, 06:31 ---Most licensed plumbers make more than RP techs, work indoors, OT when they want it, and have retirement through union (at least up here in MA). They don't travel, stay fully employed. Friend up the street just went back to plumbing after a couple years with Home Depot while he got his back fixed. Even HD paid him more than most RP techs...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hamsamich on Dec 12, 2013, 06:33 ---Derogatory?  I wish I made as much money and was as important to a community as some of the top plumbers out there.

--- End quote ---

It was mostly tongue in cheek. However, every card carrying industrial pipefitter I know would be offended to be called a plumber. It is a running joke in a split local (plumber/pipefitter). I do not dispute the fact that a plumber makes good money or has steady/important work, because they certainly do. In a split local they make the same money as the pipefitter. The point is, there is a difference between the two and any proud pipefitter would not hesitate to point it out to you if you got the two confused. It also makes a big difference when filling a call for a power plant that is specifically asking for pipefitters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version