Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Do I have to wait until I get my NEC to start my STAR paperwork or...

Author Topic: Do I have to wait until I get my NEC to start my STAR paperwork or...  (Read 8885 times)

holicisms

Can I get it started and hopefully finished by the time I show up to Japan in February?

I would like to get an apartment so I can actually keep some of my belongings and have (limited) access to them during the duration of this tour, and since the test doesnt look too promising for surface EMs ( one of my instructors didn't make 2nd until his 5ht year, finally made 1st his 9th) I feel like being stuck on the ship both in port and at sea with no storage will be a headache.

Does anyone ahve experience with this situation?
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2013, 04:02 by holicisms »

Fermi2

So you post this here instead of asking yoir LOCAL COMMAND??

jsilvavalentin

Re:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:23 »
Nope! You need your NEC to get your SRB approved, therefore you won't be able to STAR until about 2 to 3 months after you show up to your ship (time to process paperwork/route reenlistment worksheet, etc)

Danny

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Does anyone ahve experience with this situation?
I bet that your Chief, your CCC, or someone they know does.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2013, 01:01 by spekkio »

holicisms

So you post this here instead of asking yoir LOCAL COMMAND??
Yup!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Yup!

don't let these old curmudgeons get under your skin,...

look at how their lives turned out, grumpy old men wasting their lives posting to the internet,....

get your request chit in as soon as your command will accept it,...

reenlist early and often,....

go and get the Navy experience you richly deserve,....

thank you for your service,...
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2013, 03:43 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

HeavyD

Well, if I recall correctly, NPTU will not start your STAR paperwork because your actual chain of command at your ultimate duty station has to approve the chit. 

If you would hit your 24 month point at NPTU and IF you would have your paperwork completed and IF your NEC were awarded to you, then you could possibly reenlist before leaving prototype.

But, that's a lot of ifs.

Nukes generally frown upon paperwork based on what amounts to a promissory statement, which is what you have until you graduate from prototype and are actually awarded a nuclear NEC.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering!

ridgerunner61

when I was in back in the days of Reagan, they had a group reenlistment on the last day of every prototype class. That being said I was scheduled to reenlist on the last day of ELT school when one of the sea returnees told me it was "not smart" to reenlist for more sea time until you knew what sea time meant. I wish I would have thanked him as he saved me a terrible mistake. Sea time was not for me it maybe for you though.

Fermi2

Hmm maybe mine was different because I was a SPU but I made E5 on the exam, then reenlisted STAR a few months later while at NPTU.

HeavyD

Broad, as a SPU prototype wasn't a temporary duty station or training command for you.

However, I've been retired 2 years now so things can and do change.

when I was in back in the days of Reagan, they had a group reenlistment on the last day of every prototype class. That being said I was scheduled to reenlist on the last day of ELT school when one of the sea returnees told me it was "not smart" to reenlist for more sea time until you knew what sea time meant. I wish I would have thanked him as he saved me a terrible mistake. Sea time was not for me it maybe for you though.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of the wisdom in this post.  The Navy is NOT for everyone.  Once you get to the fleet, you may realize that 6 and out is your thing.  The amount of money you will get to reenlist and living out in town will almost assuredly not be worth it to you if you despise the Navy and the Navy lifestyle.

Again, best of luck, thank you for your service and Merry Christmas! 

Fermi2

HeavyD I thought so.

holicisms

don't let these old curmudgeons get under your skin,...

look at how their lives turned out, grumpy old men wasting their lives posting to the internet,....

get your request chit in as soon as your command will accept it,...

reenlist early and often,....

go and get the Navy experience you richly deserve,....

thank you for your service,...

Every day I can't help but think that it's a fine Navy day.

I love the Navy.

holicisms

and nine months later i got to prove it  :)

Kowalski-EM

If you would hit your 24 month point at NPTU and IF you would have your paperwork completed and IF your NEC were awarded to you, then you could possibly reenlist before leaving prototype.

At this moment things are a little different.  With many students reaching the two year point before leaving prototypes, arrangements are being made to allow students to STAR reenlist upon graduation day.  (The same day their NEC is also awarded.)

The availability of this for other classes than my own will vary.

sjb7061

Re:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2015, 12:02 »
Nope! You need your NEC to get your SRB approved, therefore you won't be able to STAR until about 2 to 3 months after you show up to your ship (time to process paperwork/route reenlistment worksheet, etc)

Danny

Actually you are incorrect.

you can star right out of prototype. You prepare the paperwork, it's approved on the condition you graduate prototype. You then attend a frocking cerimony at graduation. This is atleast at Ballston spa prototype. So you can do everything to star before you get your NEC so when you do you get E5 immediately.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?