Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Realistic Expectations

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Tishnuke

• Very Lite User
Realistic Expectations
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:45 »
Hello all. Im wondering if some people wouldn't mind sharing their experiences in the Nuke Program, so I get a feel for it, and know what to expect. I know "every experience is different" people vary, outlooks vary, I understand. But right now, all I have to go upon is what is on the Navy website, what my non nuke recruiter says, what my anti government/military parent says, and some of the posts I've seen here. I plan to sign soon, after taking my PT & NAPT next week, plan to go in next summer. I would go ASAP, but I have a family event I want to attend next summer, so Im postponing it.

Im trying to get a realistic, first hand look at what Bootcamp, A school, prototype school, etc- what that entire 20 month period will be like. I do understad the basics of each as explained by the website, but I learn a lot by "hearing" peoples experiences. It allow me a lot more insight. Going in the only thing that may assist me will be my college work in basic chem, physics, and calc ( only 1s levels) and my study skills. I know A school kicks some ass. I also would like to know how ones career path is chosen. I personally want to be an EM, but from what I've been reading you cant choose your position. Lastly my recruiter has been trying to make it sound like I'll be on land (on shore) for my 6 years, yet I see many posts describing newbie nukes as being off shore. Someone ( if you are allowed to explain) please explain. Thank you.

cedugger

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:03 »
I can't give much insight to bootcamp since it was 20 years ago when I raised my right hand. Back then, on 3-1 day (week 3, day 1), we put in our official request as to what rate we wished to be. Only machinist mate (MM) was a sure thing, and those wishing to be electricians (EM) or electronics technicians (ET) had to wait to see which rate they were chosen to occupy. I'm sure much has changed in two decades, so maybe I should have refrained from comment all together.

The first thing that stuck out to me was that you are postponing your entry based on a family event next year. That signals that you may not be ready to have your life and life schedule taken over by the military. Back in the day, we had people putting off their ship date because they wanted a better enlistment bonus, but that had monetary motivation. Ultimately, you're not under the military's control yet, and it's your call to do as you wish until that day you swear in, so who am I to judge.

Your recruiter would be mistaken on the shore-based thing. After two years of schooling, you will be assigned to a ship/boat. Now, there are some lucky sailors who were assigned to ships that were in extended overhauls or new construction and didn't spend much time at sea on their first duty station...I showed up to the Enterprise just as they finished their overhaul (nicknamed the USS Neversail in the early 90's) and served with guys who spent 4 or their 5 years in the shipyard. That's a rarity and the majority of nukes will serve a 5 year tour on a sea-going vessel before being eligible for shore duty.

If you do possess good study skills, as you allude to, you'll be better prepared than many. Personally, it took me months to develop the study skills needed to do well in the program, so I envy those who actually developed them early on. I'm not sure how many on this site are currently in the program's training pipeline, as they're too busy with school to be hanging out on NukeWorker (or they don't know about it yet). Hopefully some of those with 'fresher' information on the program will chime in. Good luck to you.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:07 »
If your recruiter told you would be on shore duty your 6 years, that person is a liar.  Period.

Boot camp is simple enough if you can comprehend and follow simple instructions, i.e. "do what you're told" (remember that phrase).

"A" School consists of rate specific classes to teach you how, in the simplest and most rudimentary sense, how to be an MM, EM or ET.  Roughly 8-10 hour days, plus homework.  Through in PT and mix it all up with the attitude of "do what you're told", when you're told, the way you're told.

Power School, is the basics of nuclear power technology, stuffed into rudimentary classes and crammed into 6 months.  For those that have attended a 2 year community college course like the one at Midlands Tech in Columbia, SC, all those classes are stuffed into 6 months.  Again, roughly 8-10 hour classroom time, plus 2-6 hours for homework (YMMV).  Once again, PT and mix it all up with the attitude of "do what you're told", when you're told, the way you're told.

Prototype is the first opportunity you have to leave Charleston, SC, for a part of the training pipeline.  This will also be your first opportunity, if single, to live out in town.  Couple of weeks in a classroom for some basic familiarization classes for the plant you are assigned to, then rotating shift work on one of 5 crews learning how to qualify and how to stand watch, in the most basic sense, again.  Not sure how they handle routine PT (pretty sure it is on your own time, cause it's been over 20 years since I went to prototype as  student, and almost 14 since I left NPTU Charleston as an instructor).  That sage advice of "do what you're told, when you're told, the way you're told." will come into play, but you are also responsible for balancing your obligations outside of the Navy, like paying rent and utilities, while being if not a productive member of the community, at least one that doesn't end up getting the cops called to your apartment every 3rd day.

Then you show up to your ship.  Where the nuke stuff gets to compete directly with the military stuff for priority in your everyday life.  And you'll be underway...... a lot.  Unless you go to a ship in the yards, in which case you'll probably be in 4 section (or worse) duty (meaning you stay over night on the ship and man the propulsion plant watches, then work a full workday the next day, WOOT!!!!).  THEN, you'll be underway, a lot.

This isn't meant to dissuade you in any way shape or form.  You are volunteering to serve in the US Navy.  Navy ships go to sea.  They deploy, for upwards of 8 -10 months at a time to support the United States military and it's allies, around the world.  It will be challenging at times, and it will be mind-numbing boring at times, just like real life.  Only in real life you don't live in close proximity to 3000 of your work colleagues for 8 -10 months at a time :)

Your success, for the most part, will be directly in your control.  What you put into it, you will most likely get out of it.  Pay attention, don't try and make the instructors see that the way you were taught in college would be much easier for everyone in your Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow class to learn the theories; buck the system and make waves as a student and find yourself in your Chief's $hithouse.  Save telling others they are wrong for when you get into the fleet and are qualified with some time underway and on watch to back it up.  Study hard, don't let things outside of your control distract you and getting through the pipeline and your initial 6 years is a breeze.

Best of luck, and Thank You for volunteering to serve :) 

Offline Tishnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:18 »
Thanks you both for replying. The postponement is simply something I am by willing to miss. I consider it my last "Whoopee" before starting. I have read others posts & saw the page where they had many links for different topics about getting in, the schooling, married life etc. And those pages were definitely helpful but hearing about others personal opinions & stories allows me a broader range of of resources to draw from, biased & unbiased. The program doesn't sound like fun at all, its sounds like a challenge, and Im excited for that. I am a bit apprehensive about being at sea for 8-10 months, but Im hoping to discover more about that as I explore the site. Im trying to find a forum topic for women in nuke haha.

Despite the said lapse in serving time Your posts helped a lot in my gathering of information. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?