Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RP Cram Notes Question honeypot

Author Topic: RP Cram Notes Question  (Read 7194 times)

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
RP Cram Notes Question
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 05:27 »
In the Activity Calculations section it mentions that if the distance is different than 1 foot you can divide 6CEN by the distance squared.  In the first example though where the distance is 3 feet, the denominator is 32 instead of 9.  In the second example the distance is now 5 feet but the denominator is 52 and not 25.  When I use the 9 and 25 I get the correct answer but I'm just curious where the other numbers come from? Thanks

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: RP Cram Notes Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:05 »
That should be 32 (3 squared) and 52 (5 squared)... not 32 or 52.  For some reason your copy does not have the super script correct.  I assume it is kindle e-book?  How long ago did you get it, and what are you viewing it on?
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2013, 02:12 by Rennhack »

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:04 »
Ahhh thanks.  Yes it is a kindle e-book, purchased three days ago and viewed on an i-phone with the kindle app.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:45 »
Ahhh thanks.  Yes it is a kindle e-book, purchased three days ago and viewed on an i-phone with the kindle app.

Thank you for that information.  I'll go look at it again and see if its a source issue, or maybe an issue with that specific format.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:51 »
I just looked, and It is super scripted correctly.  The issue is with font.  The "2" in the squared is smaller than the other numbers, but not by as much as you would expect.  I may be able to fix this if I change the font.

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:39 »
Sorry, another question for you or someone else who has written the NUF. In the cram notes Activity Calculations section it mentions that Cs-137 emits a .662 MeV gamma 85% of the time and the calculations reflect this.  However in the RP-4 section of the study guide calculations ignore the 85%.  Which formula should I be using when writing the NUF? Thanks!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:37 »
Sorry, another question for you or someone else who has written the NUF. In the cram notes Activity Calculations section it mentions that Cs-137 emits a .662 MeV gamma 85% of the time and the calculations reflect this.  However in the RP-4 section of the study guide calculations ignore the 85%.  Which formula should I be using when writing the NUF? Thanks!

You are correct, In the 'official' NUF study guide, in the RP-4 section, on page 10, it talks about 6CEn, the 'n' is the 85%, and it uses a Cs-137 example without the 'n'.  It is wrong.  It is one of many mistakes in the 'official' study material.  Thank you for pointing this out.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014, 02:39 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:38 »
I have been in the field for 20 year of the Navy, Power Plant operations, and as an HP.  With the exception of air sample calculations, I have never used the formulas in the field to calculate dose.  We have our meters with us and ALARA people, if they have done there job, we should never need these calculations.  Do we test for this knowledge for some sort of working screening?  Does it make you a better tech if you can pass controlled tests?

You are off topic.  If you want to rant about what should be test material, please start your own topic, or use one of the other 10 that already beat that horse to death.

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:44 »
Thank you Michael, I appreciate your quick response.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:15 »
Thank you Michael, I appreciate your quick response.

That is one more reason that I need to get off my rear end and get the next edition of our study material finished.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?