Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Fitness For Duty Fail honeypot

Author Topic: Fitness For Duty Fail  (Read 12362 times)

Offline lipupu

• Very Lite User
Fitness For Duty Fail
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:41 »
Hey, I am here in need of some guidance. I just recently lost my 6 month position as an intern at Dominion power because of a random FFD drug subversion on an urinalysis test. The penalty for this is, lifetime ban from any Dominion position and I believe lifetime ban from any nuclear power plant in the United States or anything attached to the PADs. I am just 20 years old and already messed up my life so I am in need of re-assessing my life before graduation. I graduate in 2015.

Should I apply for Vendors such as Areva, Westinghouse, GE.

Should I go into graduate school (yes I have the GPA for it)- Masters or Ph.D in Nuclear? or Masters or Ph.D in Mechanical?

Should I stop and not graduate with a Mechanical Engineering with a Nuclear Concentration degree?

Should I move to Canada?

Should I just look for Mechanical Engineering Positions or look for research opportunities?

Everything I will go into currently will be as an intern.

P.S. I did have security clearance in protected areas and Control Room Access(temporarily), I will never be able to get these I believe correct me if I am wrong.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Fitness For Duty Fail
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:22 »
I would look at anything non-nuclear... The ban would apply to vendors as well, pretty much done in the PA of a commercial plant.  You could become President of the US still though...(sorry, just a little humor)

There is still a big demand for Engineers world-wide, you made a big mistake, but, you cannot go back in time.  Just learn from it and move forward.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2013, 03:44 »
See if you have enough room in your degree credits left to switch to Petrochemical - those guys are in HIGH demand...

Good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline lipupu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:38 »
btkeele- I'm not really too upset the position was not the most fun, PRA department but entering the core and everything else was quite interesting but since I'm restricted from access that I might as well switch. My question is what about rolls-royce which is side nuclear for submarines and reactor cores.

HouseDad- I should have enough to graduate in 4 year but the only degrees available at my university is Chemical, Electrical, Computer, Mechanical(Nuclear), and Biomedical. What is the need for Petrochemical and should I be looking at exxon for that?

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:46 »
btkeele- I'm not really too upset the position was not the most fun, PRA department but entering the core and everything else was quite interesting but since I'm restricted from access that I might as well switch. My question is what about rolls-royce which is side nuclear for submarines and reactor cores.

HouseDad- I should have enough to graduate in 4 year but the only degrees available at my university is Chemical, Electrical, Computer, Mechanical(Nuclear), and Biomedical. What is the need for Petrochemical and should I be looking at exxon for that?

First you never entered a core.

Second: It's Nukeworker, not petro chemical worker. Go to a petro chemical site...

Offline lipupu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2013, 03:42 »
Broadzilla- I meant the containment building during an outage. I was hoping that was common sense considering how hot the core is at shutdown and start up. I don't need you to reply with unproductive comments.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:48 »
Broadzilla- I meant the containment building during an outage. I was hoping that was common sense considering how hot the core is at shutdown and start up. I don't need you to reply with unproductive comments.

You are lucky anyone replied at all.  We take fitness for duty and willful violations seriously.  Personally, I would not want to see you in any position (in any industry) where your disregard for the law can cause harm.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:26 »

You have not proven to me or anyone else that the common sense card applies to you...

Sorry, it's a hard life and I am at times a hard man. AGAIN, try a petro chemical bosard, we are not your personal employment advice service.

jams is right. You are lucky anyone replied at all.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:31 »
Yeah man using core like that is quite the faux pas.  Get to a petro chemical site.  North Dakota is calling your name.  You're done with nuke and asking us questions doesn't make sense anymore.

Offline Billy Coursey

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:33 »
Nice condescending advice to a 20 year old.  Dude I don't profess to know the rules like some of these other dinosaurs that have been kicking you while your down But I don't think your done.  I know a few guys that couldn't adapt to 10CFR26 but either went into DOE and also rehab treatment and eventual reinstatement.  Hard process but can be overcome. 

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:05 »
Nice condescending advice to a 20 year old.  Dude I don't profess to know the rules like some of these other dinosaurs that have been kicking you while your down But I don't think your done.  I know a few guys that couldn't adapt to 10CFR26 but either went into DOE and also rehab treatment and eventual reinstatement.  Hard process but can be overcome. 

Bill my problem was not that he popped positive.  It is the willful attempt to circumvent the FFD process. 

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:20 »
I wasn't condescending, I really think he should try something else because it is just going to be swimming upriver to stay in nuclear.  There are plenty of other things to do on the upswing.  Why stay in a field as a beginner when you already have 2 strikes against you?

Graphic

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:31 »
Trying to circumvent an FFD test in anyway results in a permanent denial from any nuclear plant. I've never seen anyone get in after it.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2013, 08:35 by Graphic »

Offline Billy Coursey

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:30 »
Ok my young 20 year old.  You have screwed up.  I doubt your even understanding of what you have done, mainly because all 20 year olds are bullet proof.  I did not read where you pissed crooked twice.  Now if you indeed did then you and I also don't need to have further engagement.  But if there is a chance this was your first you might not have shot yourself in the private parts.  Follow up on how to get on your knees and fix the mistake probably of your adult life assuming you don't go to jail for future indiscretions.  I'm pretty sure if this is your first you can fix this with time and money but it won't look pretty or financially rewarding while your paying for this mistake.  Good luck.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:55 »
I hope that whatever it is that you were on, was worth it.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:22 »
This is easily the most entertaining area of the forums.   ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?