Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu If you were in my shoes.. honeypot

Author Topic: If you were in my shoes..  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Bestine

• Lurker
If you were in my shoes..
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:28 »
I've gained interest in joining the Navy earlier in the year after acquiring information about the Direct Procurement Enlistment Program (DPEP). My civilian obtained skills are in radiology (X-ray and MRI). As with most prospects who have scored high on the aptitude test, my recruiter pushed the option of doing nuclear propulsion. I'm excited yet very hesitant with the opportunity. Letting go of my education and current career is something I've worked extremely hard at. I see the potential in nuclear energy and the financial outlook is appealing. Though radiography wages are on par, or even slightly higher, with a non-licensed operator. Money isn't everything and I value quality of life being a priority. But I feel my current occupation isn't going to be enough to subsidies a family.

Serving in the military has been an ambition of mine since grade school. I want to have the sense of pride of knowing I gave back to my country. I'm hoping it will be a chance to enrich my life with experience and maturity. While serving, I want to take advantage of the educational opportunities by getting a engineering degree. But I'm turned off at the fact schools in accordance with the nuclear program offer engineering technology degrees (ie. Thomas Edison). To my understanding, this degree does not lead to a Professional Engineer license.

My enigma is with dropping a career/education I've spent five years in, and knowing I won't be able to go back to it with a six year obligation. Medical is a great passion of mine as is learning new subjects. I can see myself working either occupation (MRI or reactor operator[figuratively]) in the next 15 to 20 years.

What contractual arrangements would you have done differently before and during your enlistment?

What advantages do "6 and outters" have over civilian trained individuals going for an NLO position? Or are there better opportunities for a former "nuke" to look into?

With the nuclear occupation growth/decline in mind, do you recommend someone with an unrelated occupation to enlist as a nuke for a better career opportunity?

Thank you for the replies (and inevitable 'positive' criticism) you have to offer.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: If you were in my shoes..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:14 »
Honestly, with your background I'd recommend joining as am HM (Hospital Corpsman). They have specific NECs for some of the things you're already qualified to do and you'd be able to continue working in the medical field. They also have a little more variety in where they can be stationed.

As far as education, you are correct, you will get very few credits to help get an Engineering degree, most colleges that cater to the navy nuclear power program offer only engineering technology degrees. I'm not sure what all the requirements are for an Engineering degree, but, theoretically, you could still get one, it would just take longer to accomplish. As an alternative, you could apply for one of the many officer programs, either before you join or after enlisting, and have the navy pay for your education.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:28 »
I've gained interest in joining the Navy earlier in the year after acquiring information about the Direct Procurement Enlistment Program (DPEP). My civilian obtained skills are in radiology (X-ray and MRI). As with most prospects who have scored high on the aptitude test, my recruiter pushed the option of doing nuclear propulsion. I'm excited yet very hesitant with the opportunity. Letting go of my education and current career is something I've worked extremely hard at. I see the potential in nuclear energy and the financial outlook is appealing. Though radiography wages are on par, or even slightly higher, with a non-licensed operator. Money isn't everything and I value quality of life being a priority. But I feel my current occupation isn't going to be enough to subsidies a family.

Serving in the military has been an ambition of mine since grade school. I want to have the sense of pride of knowing I gave back to my country. I'm hoping it will be a chance to enrich my life with experience and maturity. While serving, I want to take advantage of the educational opportunities by getting a engineering degree. But I'm turned off at the fact schools in accordance with the nuclear program offer engineering technology degrees (ie. Thomas Edison). To my understanding, this degree does not lead to a Professional Engineer license.

My enigma is with dropping a career/education I've spent five years in, and knowing I won't be able to go back to it with a six year obligation. Medical is a great passion of mine as is learning new subjects. I can see myself working either occupation (MRI or reactor operator[figuratively]) in the next 15 to 20 years.

What contractual arrangements would you have done differently before and during your enlistment?

What advantages do "6 and outters" have over civilian trained individuals going for an NLO position? Or are there better opportunities for a former "nuke" to look into?

With the nuclear occupation growth/decline in mind, do you recommend someone with an unrelated occupation to enlist as a nuke for a better career opportunity?

Thank you for the replies (and inevitable 'positive' criticism) you have to offer.

I'm confused....you are looking for higher pay, but you are considering taking a massive pay cut to go through the Nuke pipeline?!? Something doesn't add up here.

If you truly want to serve the nation, help others with your medical skills, and even wear a cool uniform, try the Public Health Service. Good benefits, gets you hiring preference for federal jobs if you want to do something different in the future. This is how someone can ultimately work their way up to Surgeon General!

http://www.usphs.gov
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 12:39 by BuddyThePug »

Offline Bestine

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:21 »
Thank you for the information on the Public Health Services. I was unaware of this.

The statement regarding the significant pay decrease reiterates my conundrum and goes back to my third question. As the title implies I'm trying to gain incite from previous nukes and those in the profession, if dropping my profession is worth becoming a nuke in the end.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013, 12:21 by Bestine »

Offline NavyNuke86

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:55 »
I was a business major coming into the nuclear pipeline.  I didnt have much focus so i decided to enlist and the recruiter pushed me to the nuclear option.  I didnt have a heavy science/math background.   I reenlisted once and have been in for a little over 6 years.  I made first class at my 4 year point and will hopefully make chief this summer.   I qualified EWS(the supervisor qual on a submarine). 

What I am trying to say is that you don't have to have much experience going into it.  If you have a hard work ethic and a passion to learn from it then you will be fine.  I honestly can't see myself doing anything else in the Navy other than being a submarine nuke.  It is rewarding on a different level. 

If you are thinking of joining the navy being a nuke is not a bad option.  The skills you will learn and master along with good times and bad times are unparalleled.  Good luck on whatever you decide

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:48 »

Depending on your rate and how fast you qualify EWS you could be eligible for an Instant SRO position in the civilian sector.  If you work your ass off while in the Navy it will pay off on the outside whether you do six and out or thirty.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?