Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Employment opportunities while attending school full time?

(1/2) > >>

Aaron1859:
Hello.  I'm currently scheduled to get out of the Navy in May.  I plan on going to school full-time until I receive my bachelor's degree, and would like to go to medical school after that (although that may change).  I would like to work at the same time (full time if possible), but am not sure about the opportunities there are out there for someone who primarily wants to finish school as fast as possible.  Both load operator and NLO seem like great careers, but the amount of focus required in the first ~18 months in training for these jobs seems incongruent with my goal of getting that BS ASAP.

As a little background, I'm a 6-out EM2 qualified everything that everyone else was at 6 years (add RT though and subtract EWS - still kicking myself for not keeping at quals.)  Collateral duties have been LPO, work center supervisor, training, dcpo. I joined the Navy when I was 24, so I'll be 30 next year (this is one of the major driving factors for wanting to finish school ASAP).

I plan on joining the reserves if there is a post within a decent distance.....between that and some random part-time job, I could support myself along with the GI bill.  There would be a quality-of-life change of course though, and if there are any full-time positions which would allow me to finish school that would be preferred.  I am not tied to any specific location.

I did search, although most of the posts here are for people who want to work in the nuclear field (for obvious reasons).  NLO or load operator are definitely on my mind as backup if I decide going back to school isn't for me.

Thanks

Laundry Man:
Gonna be tough going to college and working as an NLO.  Schedules will not mesh. 
LM

Samabby:
Considering your age, it would be best to place 100% of your time & energy to blasting through an undergrad program asap. You should be able to finish in 6 semesters. Check into the CLEP program. Thanks for your service.

Fermi2:
6 and out EM2, You won't have to worry about being an nLO...

Aaron1859:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Dec 31, 2013, 03:14 ---6 and out EM2, You won't have to worry about being an nLO...

--- End quote ---

Why is this?  NLO isn't my first choice, but I want to have options just in case I decide going back to school isn't for me.  I would most likely try and go the load dispatcher route anyway, but I want to have options, and I need to start thinking about these things now....I know SRO is not something I could go for, but in my searching NLO/AO have been the "way in" to nuclear power....if not that, how do you get your foot in the door?

--- Quote from: Laundry Man on Dec 31, 2013, 09:05 ---Gonna be tough going to college and working as an NLO.  Schedules will not mesh. 
LM

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I mentioned NLO as the backup plan.  I'm trying to find some sort of employment that I could do while i school.  Surely I can't be alone in this situation!  Really don't want to go back to flipping burgers for supplementary income, but I'll work where I need to.

--- Quote from: Samabby on Dec 31, 2013, 09:07 ---Considering your age, it would be best to place 100% of your time & energy to blasting through an undergrad program asap. You should be able to finish in 6 semesters. Check into the CLEP program. Thanks for your service.

--- End quote ---

Thanks....yeah, optimally I want to transition to grad school or a full career within 2 years.  I feel like I'm behind most of the people my age (peers I went to college intially with are now finishing up PHDs, etc.), but I don't regret joining, and the opportunities it should give me.

Thanks for the replies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version