Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ** NUKEWORKER AGE POLL **
honeypot

Poll

What is your age? (you will be anonymous so don't worry)

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.8%)
3 (2.4%)
1 (0.8%)
4 (3.2%)
6 (4.8%)
1 (0.8%)
3 (2.4%)
1 (0.8%)
2 (1.6%)
2 (1.6%)
0 (0%)
2 (1.6%)
1 (0.8%)
3 (2.4%)
1 (0.8%)
3 (2.4%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.8%)
5 (4%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
3 (2.4%)
4 (3.2%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
4 (3.2%)
6 (4.8%)
5 (4%)
4 (3.2%)
7 (5.6%)
2 (1.6%)
4 (3.2%)
6 (4.8%)
6 (4.8%)
1 (0.8%)
4 (3.2%)
4 (3.2%)
5 (4%)
3 (2.4%)
3 (2.4%)
1 (0.8%)
2 (1.6%)
0 (0%)
2 (1.6%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
3 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Mar 05, 2014, 05:40

Author Topic: ** NUKEWORKER AGE POLL **  (Read 33106 times)

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
** NUKEWORKER AGE POLL **
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:40 »
The purposes of this anonymous 2 month long Age Poll is to:

1)Find out the average age the nukeworker.com member, and

2)See if there are any patterns in the age distribution of people working this nuclear community.

*Once again this is completely confidential voting and the poll is purely for fun so enjoy and vote!*
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2014, 09:07 by The Stig »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: ** NUKEWORKER AGE POLL **
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:51 »
as we have all witnessed from a recent pissoff contest that was posted here - there is NO anonymity on the internet...

Right Mike??

O:)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:21 »
Why is nineteen not an option? What's wrong with nineteen? I mean, I admittedly am not nineteen, but I was once, for probably close to a year...  :)
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:13 »
fixed it thanks

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:42 »
as we have all witnessed from a recent pissoff contest that was posted here - there is NO anonymity on the internet...
Right Mike??

Did I win?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:21 »
Did I win?

yup, pretty much you won, with disconcerting effect you flexed your webmaster skills past the dichotomy of "just because one can does not mean one should" into the dark side of "because I can, I will",...

a side of you I never would have believed was there until you demonstrated it,...

all legal and public like,.....

you proved you could win, but, like a cop with a badge and a gun, you did not have to, we already knew you could,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Content1

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:28 »
Notice near 1/2 are over 50.  This is a hard business to get the experience to do the jobs.  In addition, older folks have good work ethics.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:04 »
Notice near 1/2 are over 50.  This is a hard business to get the experience to do the jobs.  In addition, older folks have good work ethics.

That sounds like you are insinuating that people younger than 50 are lazy. That would be stereotypical and discriminatory. Don't judge all because of the actions of a few.  ;)

Content1

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:19 »
I am not insinuating what people under 50 may do, I am stating simply older people entered the work force absent a "The world owes me" ethic so common in the younger workers.  Older workers know what to do in life and when the job is beyond their ability, they retire.  I have seen many workers in their 70's pulled back in the workforce because of their reliability.  The poll reflects companies agree or they would take in more of the flood of available younger workers.  My praising of older folks, no matter of their race, age or sex doesn't mean I am saying someone else is lazy, you brought in the name calling, known as a "Straw man" argument and then attacking the straw man's argument's conclusion.  If you had been to college you would know that is one of the fallacies of logic. 

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:32 »
Why is eighteen not an option? What's wrong with eighteen? I mean, I admittedly am not eighteen, but I was once, for probably close to a year...You know, The, attention to detail is a cornerstone of our little industry here...  ;)
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:12 »
I am not insinuating what people under 50 may do, I am stating simply older people entered the work force absent a "The world owes me" ethic so common in the younger workers.  Older workers know what to do in life and when the job is beyond their ability, they retire.  I have seen many workers in their 70's pulled back in the workforce because of their reliability.  The poll reflects companies agree or they would take in more of the flood of available younger workers.  My praising of older folks, no matter of their race, age or sex doesn't mean I am saying someone else is lazy, you brought in the name calling, known as a "Straw man" argument and then attacking the straw man's argument's conclusion.  If you had been to college you would know that is one of the fallacies of logic. 

The stupid little winking smiley face that I inserted should have told you that I was just joking with you. However, my interpretation of most of your posts is that older people are treated unfairly because of their age, and younger people have a terrible work ethic, i.e. lazy.

I am aware of the Straw man argument and the history behind it. I consider myself fairly well read. I fail to see were a college degree is needed to understand the concept. There is really no need to be derogatory or belittling. 

The bottom line is you shouldn't judge a book by the cover.
Age=Work Ethic
Degree=Intelligence
Work Experience=Knowledge

surf50

« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:01 »
When you mentioned, "Why is eighteen not an option?", something in my mind's dark recesses twitched.
We hired a guy who was 18, and he had to sit in a office til he was 19, before he was let into the RCA for work.

29 CFR   1910.1096(b)(2)(ii)

"The dose to the whole body, when added to the accumulated occupational dose to the whole body, shall not exceed 5 (N-18) rems, where "N" equals the individual's age in years at his last birthday; and"...

So, you can be a Nukeworker at 18, you just can't get much exposure..

Offline desertechn

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:36 »
Back so many years ago it might not have mattered, i started work 30 days before my 19th birthday, i didnt sit in an office for sure and when i went into the RCA the first time i stepped on a nail in a board in a CA, the RP was more scared than i was, trying to squeeze a drop of blood out to count on some machine that told him i wasnt gonna turn into the hulk or somethin. i only have a little bit more sense nowadays but havent steped on a nail in a CA in goin on 40 yrs

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:42 »
When you mentioned, "Why is eighteen not an option?", something in my mind's dark recesses twitched.
We hired a guy who was 18, and he had to sit in a office til he was 19, before he was let into the RCA for work.

"The dose to the whole body, when added to the accumulated occupational dose to the whole body, shall not exceed 5 (N-18) rems, where "N" equals the individual's age in years at his last birthday; and"...

So, you can be a Nukeworker at 18, you just can't get much exposure..

Actually, You could get up to 5000 mR at age 18... you just had to not get more than that before 20. So, if you got 500 the first year you could get 4500 the next... and conversely if you got 4500 the first you were limited to 500 until you turned 20. The first year you might have to sit in an office was when you were 19. If you had an employee actually sitting on 0 until he turned 19, someone didn't do the proper research.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:49 »

You do realize that with the 'new' 10CFR20, there is no N-18, right?  That hasn't been law for 20 years.

What you are quoting above is an OSHA standard, referring to an out of date NRC standard. It still refers to 3 rem a quarter...

The proper standard is:

10CFR20.1201 Occupational dose limits for adults.

Now it's just "N" is your lifetime limit.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 03:05 by Rennhack »

surf50

« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:30 »
Thanks for the correction, guys. I knew with the 'new' 10CFR20 things had changed, and at one time knew all of the changes. I'm afraid I've forgotten bits and pieces that I don't use, and failed to properly Google.

The 18 year old tech that sat in the ALARA office until he was 19 is now 49. And yes, Roger, the HP ops manager at the time was probably just being overly cautious. You knew him as the guy with a temper; R.B.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 04:09 by surf50 »

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:37 »
some of you are just hilarious,lol,lol ;D 
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:49 »
Well, actually, the OSHA regulation applies to many jobs.  Just because you guys all work at DOE sites or under NRC licenses doesn't mean that they control everything related to nuclear work or products.

Expand your horizons.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:30 »
Well, actually, the OSHA regulation applies to many jobs.  Just because you guys all work at DOE sites or under NRC licenses doesn't mean that they control everything related to nuclear work or products.

Expand your horizons.

That is untrue.  They DO control everything.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:39 »
....Expand your horizons.

That is untrue.  They DO control everything.

I sense we are about to stroll,

In the shadowed dark wood,

Of the semantics troll,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:43 »
OSHA has jurisdiction over accelerators, x-ray equipment, and radon--just to name a few.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:52 »
OSHA has jurisdiction over accelerators, x-ray equipment, and radon--just to name a few.

Only under those conditions which do not exceed, or are not codified under, a general license limitation as per the NRC or Agreement State,...

If you cannot work within the strictures of all of the various general license criterion (which are restrictive), you must apply for a license or, for reciprocity under a current license,...

I will concede there are many handlers of materials who are clueless to the condition that they are in violation of those strictures,...
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 11:58 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:44 »

I am not sure what you are saying, it would be easier to list exemptions:

-Mine and quarry workers (regulated by the Mine Safety and Health Administration)
-Independent contractors and other self-employed individuals
-Public sector employees (covered only in jurisdictions with state plans; the United States Postal Service is covered under the Postal Employees Safety Enhancement Act)
-Domestic workers (workers whose workplace is a household)
-Flight crews (covered by the Federal Aviation Administration)
-Farms employing only family members and farms employing fewer than 10 employees with no migrant labor housing

OSHA has a Voluntary Protection Program which exempts an entity from programmatic inspections but they are still subject to accident, complaint, or referral inspections. Many DOE sites are in the VPP program.

Chimera

« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:21 »

Someone should tell that to the DoE guys who used to come into my office when I worked at FermiLab.

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:15 »
I'm clearly talking about radiation exposure received OUTSIDE of the DOE and NRC--not at DOE labs or general safety or being under VPP or anything else.

Examples:   a company (NOT on a DOE site) uses an accelerator for research--those accelerator workers/researchers are under the OSHA radiation standard previously mentioned--not 10cfr20 or 835.  Even the byproduct material produced is under OSHA authority.

a company needs to do maintenance on an x-ray machine--those workers are under that same standard

a company discovers it has radon exceding 3pci/l--those employees are under that same standard

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 03:37 by mars88 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?