Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu return to outages honeypot

Author Topic: return to outages  (Read 12035 times)

Offline Craneblaster

• Lurker
return to outages
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:19 »
 :o Hello my Nuclear Worker Family,I am very much trying to return to the fold,I have not been in an outage since 2001,and raised a family of my own since then,I am 52 years old and in the best physical shape of my life aside from normal age issues,I have done Eddy Current Steam Generator repairs ,shielding,Scaffolding and Decontamination, and Firewatch. I am not desperate but I will do anything as a restart to my returning career in nuclear power,and realize I have been on the shelf too long,I am having a hard time accessing DZ ATLANTIC GROUP and heard they have the contract for Brunswick in Southport. Some body help a brother out with an email address or a contact,if its allowed. I am willing to repay my dues and start back from the ground floor if it takes that.Thanks in advance! :)
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 08:35 by Rennhack »

Content1

Re: return to outages
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:29 »
You know the drill here.  You contact the recruiters for each contractor like Bartlett, Shaw, DZ Atlantic etc. and get your resume to them.  You talk to the recruiters for each as ask what is available.  If you kept up on the field you know we have lost job sites and the competition is fierce.  You don't mention if you were gone 13 years why did you leave and why do you wish to return, and to what specific job, what did you do in the interim if it is relevant to the field.

Offline roosterfitz

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:20 »

Offline roosterfitz

• Light User

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:34 »
Can anyone else direct me toward some outage hiring links similar to the ones listed above? They were really helpful.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:04 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:01 »
Lol, you're killin me man. I haven't seen hardly ANY outage postings for JR. HPs/ JR. DECONs in the JOBs section.  :P

In a pinch, we can always get Senior Tech A to swing a mop or sit access control and monitor the SAMs and personnel monitors,...

ergo, we do not need as many junior anythings,...

maybe someday,...

just not this day,...

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 09:03 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:21 »
In a pinch, we can always get Content1 to swing a mop or sit access control and monitor the SAMs and personnel monitors,...

maybe someday,...

just not this day,...

Or they could hire (Insert name of in-house HP)'s son, daughter, nephew, niece, second cousin, etc. and not have to pay per diem.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:14 »
Or they could hire (Insert name of in-house HP)'s son, daughter, nephew, niece, second cousin, etc. and not have to pay per diem.

oh yeah, that works too,....

I do not know many people who tell close family and friends "too bad for them the out of staters must be hired in for the sake of 'fairness' ",...

I do know more than a few folks who got their "in" through friends and family and who have matured into some of the best people in this business,...

and, of course,  qualified local people who can be brought in to do temporary work while saving the cost of per diem are a less expensive alternative to qualified out of local area candidates,...

so, if you're post was meant to impugn the prerogatives of those folks who hire and fire, then I would profer that you are being unrealistic in an expectation that family, friendship and/or proximity ties should not be factors in the hiring decision,...

there is a way to be clear of those entanglements and rumors of entanglement:

trade away six or more years of your life to the US government, take a battering series of tests and interviews, and get hired on by what you and only you have earned and bring to the table,...

after that, be happy for yourself and stop dwelling on how others got theirs,....

I'm just saying,... [coffee]

almost forgot, Happy New Year and May You Live Long and Prosper,... 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 10:30 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:41 »
oh yeah, that works too,....

I do not know many people who tell close family and friends "too bad for them the out of staters must be hired in for the sake of 'fairness' ",...

I do know more than a few folks who got their "in" through friends and family and who have matured into some of the best people in this business,...

and, of course,  qualified local people who can be brought in to do temporary work while saving the cost of per diem are a less expensive alternative to qualified out of local area candidates,...

so, if you're post was meant to impugn the prerogatives of those folks who hire and fire, then I would profer that you are being unrealistic in an expectation that family, friendship and/or proximity ties should not be factors in the hiring decision,...

there is way to be clear of those entanglements and rumors of entanglement:

trade away six or more years of your life to the US government, take a battering series of tests and interviews, and get hired on by what you and only you have earned and bring to the table,...

after that, be happy for yourself and stop dwelling on how others got theirs,....

I'm just saying,... [coffee]
I am not complaining about it at all. It makes good business sense. I have more than once advised people on here looking for a way in to use a personal contact at their local plant as an in.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33756.msg155807.html#msg155807

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,34778.msg162212.html#msg162212

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,36906.msg175540.html#msg175540

I myself started working in this industry thanks to people I knew who worked at the local plant.

In the "words" of my teenage daughter: JS  [coffee]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:59 »
I am not complaining about it at all. It makes good business sense. .....

got it,...

as you know, internet posts are difficult to "read" as per emotion and intent,...

it is good that road warriors such as we meet in the struggle of billable hours... :P ;) :) 8)

peace,...GLW
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 11:23 by GLW »

Content1

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:03 »
In a pinch, we can always get Content1 to swing a mop or sit access control and monitor the SAMs and personnel monitors,...

maybe someday,...

just not this day,...

I can see why GLW is not available in a pinch, he lives on nukeworker probably when he should be working that he is being paid to do posting 5 times as many as myself yet has been a member three years less then me.  BTW, I was given an "A" overall review at Dresden, my last outage, did you at yours?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:58 »
I can see why GLW is not available in a pinch, he lives on nukeworker probably when he should be working that he is being paid to do posting 5 times as many as myself yet has been a member three years less then me.  BTW, I was given an "A" overall review at Dresden, my last outage, did you at yours?

ahhhhhh,...

so you're that guy who has been sending the unsolicited e-mails to the site coordinators about who you saw doing what on the internet during work hours while you were on your way to covering a job they could or should have been doing,....

well, gotta earn those "A"s somehow,... :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 07:59 by GLW »

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:15 »
I also agree that having a family, helpful hand to get started has made great techs.
There are several families that come to mind.
On the other hand, I worked at a site in W. Texas where the nepotism was to the point that many, many, many things were overlooked, and covered up.
Ya know, anyone have a job where I can sit at an access control point and monitor sams, let me know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?