Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke OCS Question  

Author Topic: Nuke OCS Question  (Read 4175 times)

Offline smunuke

• Lurker
Nuke OCS Question
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:23 »
First of all, thank you all for providing so much valuable information on the Navy's Nuke program. From this site alone, I've gone from not even knowing the Navy had a nuclear program to feeling relatively comfortable about what I'm getting into.

I'll keep my resume brief and expand on it if necessary:
22 years old
Bachelor's in Accounting. 3.1 GPA.
Completed well over a year of calculus, completed no calculus-based Physics (was told by the officer recruiter I couldn't enter the Navy as a Nuke Officer recruit because of the Physics, or lack thereof).
Currently in DEP as enlisted Nuke.

Question: Is it possible realistic to get picked up for OCS as a potential Nuke Officer during the training process?

I've looked around the site, but can't find an answer for someone in my particular situation. Not deadset on becoming an officer, simply looking at my options.

Robert

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nuke OCS Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:19 »
I believe you'll still need the calc based physics to be picked up for a nuke officer, but otherwise you shouldn't have an issue.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:54 »
Question: Is it possible realistic to get picked up for OCS as a potential Nuke Officer during the training process?
It is neither possible nor realistic to get selected for OCS for any program while in the training pipeline. You need to be further than 1 year from transfer IIRC (which you never will be while in the pipeline as all schools are 6 mo or less), and you need to have a CO's endorsement that is a little stronger than 'he has a high gpa in power school, recommended for commissioning program.'

Also, you're not eligible for nuke officer, period, because you don't have a year of calculus-based physics.

The option to commision as a nuke officer out of the training pipeline is reserved for STA-21 applicants. You are not eligible for that program because you already hold a degree.

It is generally harder to get a commission via OCS after you enlist if you are otherwise eligible. With your accounting degree, you are eligible for any unrestricted line job outside of nuke, as well as supply corps which would allow you to use your accounting degree in a limited way. To have a chance of being selected for OCS as an enlisted Sailor, you'll need some EP evals, leadership collateral duties, and strong LORs from your chain of command. Those don't come overnight and you can't obtain them while in a training command. If you want to be an officer, withdraw your DEP application and go visit an officer recruiter, take the ASTB and start the application process.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2014, 03:01 by spekkio »

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:53 »
spekkio pretty much nailed it.

If you are interested in becoming a Nuke officer, there are prerequisites that you simply have not satisfied yet. No worries, though, be proud you got selected on the enlisted side.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?