Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leaving for boot camp in a month. Just some questions. honeypot

Author Topic: Leaving for boot camp in a month. Just some questions.  (Read 3883 times)

Offline CLHnavynuke

• Lurker
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forums and read most of the stickies stuff and I'm gonna ask questions about stuff I didn't see answers for.

1. In A school and other training, is there much homework? Or is it basically taking notes and studying for exams?

2. What is there to do in Charleston on your weekends/days off?

3. Is there a strict process for visitors?  My mom plans on seeing me a couple times during school.

4. When I go to boot camp, at what stage of it will I find out my rating? 

5. What decides whether or not I stay in Charleston or go to Ballston Spa?

6. How much money is given on average for the housing allowance for prototype?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Leaving for boot camp in a month. Just some questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:11 »
1. Yes and yes. At least there was 20 years ago.
2. Study, go out in town (in uniform until you're allowed to go out in civilian clothes). It depends on your interests.
3. She won't be able to get to the school house, but most of the base is open, so there shouldn't be a problem.
4. In the middle or so.
5. Status of the prototypes (class back ups, unplanned shutdowns, upcoming maintenance shutdowns, etc.).
6. Feel free to search for this based on zip code.

Offline song of the south

• Light User
Re: Leaving for boot camp in a month. Just some questions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:25 »
1. Depending on your instructor you will have a good bit of homework. Every night, except the night before exams, if your instructor is merciful.You'll also take a lot of notes and unless you're a genius or an idiot you will do a lot of studying.
2. There are a ton and a half ways for you to get in trouble. Most nukes spend their time shopping, eating or drinking. If you are underage, don't drink. Somebody will rat you out and you will get denuked.
3. Your family is welcome anytime as far as I know. They can't go in the school building or your beq. Everywhere else is fair game.
4. Over half way through you'll find out what you're gonna be. Trust me though, no matter what you end up with you'll grow to love it. Then you'll join in with all the rate bashing just like everybody else. I have yet to hear somebody say that they didn't like their rate and I know plenty of people that didn't get their original choice.
5. I don't know the process exactly, but I've heard that if you don't get the one you picked you can switch with somebody.

A couple of words of advice for boot camp.
*Do not volunteer for starboard watch. Not if you value your sleep.
*They can't set you back for failing inspections.
*Head crew gets to go to early chow....this is a very, very good thing.
*Always, always, always wear your shower shoes. ALWAYS.

Best of luck!
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?