Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What should I do, or what would you do?

Author Topic: What should I do, or what would you do?  (Read 6168 times)

Worlds greatest deciple

What should I do, or what would you do?
« on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 »
Okay so, here is my situation. There may be a lot of useless information in here but, just bear with me please.

-I live at home with my little brother with Cerebral Palsy, he is confined to wheelchair but very smart and functions well considering his situation. My mother is also highly disabled but has yet to get her disability, so I'm kind of worried about her being able to take care of my brother properly.

-Now on one hand, I want to help anyway I can. We are a underprivileged family, we live in a trailer. (Not trying to share a sob story, just a bit of back story.) So the recruiter uses the, you can help your family better themselves with the bonus; however, I've definitely read that being a Nuke is not something you should become unless you really want to and are interested in Nuclear propulsion.

-One of my reasons for being a Nuke was because it was put in my head that it was an elite job and everyone seemed to be going for it so I figured why not, plus I liked the idea of the bonuses. Also I liked the thought of also having a degree when I got out ( I was also going to take classes and get a Bachelor's in Computer Science, which is what I still want to do.) Now I have come to the conclusion based on what I've been reading that I won't have time for the classes, and the "associates degree" that I was more or less promised, isn't necessarily as "recognized" as I first believed it to be. Also I certainly liked the thought of 100 grand for school after my six year enlistment. Also, I realize that I need to have a life of my own (I've been, pardon the way I word this, but "stuck" under my brother for, well since I was young and my step dad died with cancer. So I kind of looked at this as my way to do that.

I've read that even though the bonuses are nice, this is not a field you want to go into just because you can, is this true??

Now I've been thinking what would be the point, 6 years for a field I don't intend on going into afterwards, which was also a reason I was going into the program as well. So I spoke with my recruiter and she is telling me that I can't switch jobs unless I fail my tests, and even If I do, it will still be a 6 year commitment because I've already signed all the contracts, would anyone be able to validate this? I just spoke with her earlier and she told me to stop reading things online or I would psyche myself out...I think she believes I'm scared I may fail, not that I simply am not interested, especially with all the reasons I wanted to go in evaporating into thin air.

So my main question is, should I go to college and do that, Community College would be the choice because I don't want to take out loans. Or should I go in the military for 6 years and essentially probably waste 6 years of my life for no real reason, is the way I see it. Hell I may as well go to medical school right? More interesting than watching gauges on a carrier. I wanted to go in as well because physics and science, as well as math interest me. Although now that I've been looking into it, it seems I was off on my thoughts of the job and what it would be. It was an opportunity for me though which is what i saw it as. An elite job that was better than just going to college, I think I was seeing the hyped version of the job and someone "broke the glass" , so to speak.

Content1

Re: What should I do, or what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:13 »
Before I went into the Navy I played with legal exempt quantities of radioisotopes for a hobby.  I joined the Nuclear Navy and never played with them again.  I should have gone for a degree if I wanted to be a scientist.  I never went back, never had the time.  Don't go into the Navy hoping to switch to something else.  IF you go to be a nuclear technician, do that job and expect nothing else.  They don't need you on a ship with your mind someplace else.  If you dedicate yourself to Navy service it can be fulfilling.  It pays pretty well as compared to when I went in.  Otherwise, stay in school and finish and do what you want to do.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:00 »
I'm curious why you would not take out loans if you go to a community college.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:59 »
Maybe you should read your own post again. everything about it screams "I don't want to do it"
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:20 »
Military has multiple hi tech jobs besides nuke. Advanced Electronics may be more aligned with what you want, and is available in multiple branches of the military.

Good luck, and look at options beyond what the recruiter is pushing.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:00 »
Okay so, here is my situation. There may be a lot of useless information in here but, just bear with me please.

-I live at home with my little brother with Cerebral Palsy, he is confined to wheelchair but very smart and functions well considering his situation. My mother is also highly disabled but has yet to get her disability, so I'm kind of worried about her being able to take care of my brother properly.

1. If you are in the Military you will not be able to help with any care needed, except with money. You time with your family will be very limited. Not just during basic and training but throughout your enlistment.

-Now on one hand, I want to help anyway I can. We are a underprivileged family, we live in a trailer. (Not trying to share a sob story, just a bit of back story.) So the recruiter uses the, you can help your family better themselves with the bonus; however, I've definitely read that being a Nuke is not something you should become unless you really want to and are interested in Nuclear propulsion.

2. I highly recommend not joining unless you really want to do it. Otherwise you will be miserable and likely not perform at the level required.

-One of my reasons for being a Nuke was because it was put in my head that it was an elite job and everyone seemed to be going for it so I figured why not, plus I liked the idea of the bonuses. Also I liked the thought of also having a degree when I got out ( I was also going to take classes and get a Bachelor's in Computer Science, which is what I still want to do.) Now I have come to the conclusion based on what I've been reading that I won't have time for the classes, and the "associates degree" that I was more or less promised, isn't necessarily as "recognized" as I first believed it to be. Also I certainly liked the thought of 100 grand for school after my six year enlistment. Also, I realize that I need to have a life of my own (I've been, pardon the way I word this, but "stuck" under my brother for, well since I was young and my step dad died with cancer. So I kind of looked at this as my way to do that.

3. If your family situation is as you have stated, I would be willing to bet that you could get all the educational assistance you need without serving your country. There are many scholarships and grants offered to "underprivileged" kids.

I've read that even though the bonuses are nice, this is not a field you want to go into just because you can, is this true??

Now I've been thinking what would be the point, 6 years for a field I don't intend on going into afterwards, which was also a reason I was going into the program as well. So I spoke with my recruiter and she is telling me that I can't switch jobs unless I fail my tests, and even If I do, it will still be a 6 year commitment because I've already signed all the contracts, would anyone be able to validate this? I just spoke with her earlier and she told me to stop reading things online or I would psyche myself out...I think she believes I'm scared I may fail, not that I simply am not interested, especially with all the reasons I wanted to go in evaporating into thin air.

4. Regardless of what your recruiter may tell you, they do not have you until your swear in and report for basic.

So my main question is, should I go to college and do that, Community College would be the choice because I don't want to take out loans. Or should I go in the military for 6 years and essentially probably waste 6 years of my life for no real reason, is the way I see it. Hell I may as well go to medical school right? More interesting than watching gauges on a carrier. I wanted to go in as well because physics and science, as well as math interest me. Although now that I've been looking into it, it seems I was off on my thoughts of the job and what it would be. It was an opportunity for me though which is what i saw it as. An elite job that was better than just going to college, I think I was seeing the hyped version of the job and someone "broke the glass" , so to speak.

5. See number 3.

6. I often consider my time in the military as the best and worst time of my life. For someone who hasn't served this may be hard to understand. I would never consider serving as a complete waste of time. You would be taught many life lessons in that 6 years that you are likely not to learn anywhere else. It will feel like forever when you start your enlistment, but you won't believe how fast it went by once it's over.

Number 4 not recommended unless you are certain that you do not want to be in any branch of the military. [2cents]
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2014, 10:56 by ksheed12 »

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:43 »
Well said ksheed12 on almost all accounts, however on point four you are slightly off.  Your intent is correct but factually you are wrong.  In fact the contract and swearing in you do going into the DEP is a real and binding contract and they do "have you", however in todays world (and for many years past) the military has no desire to "force" individuals to serve if they change their mind before boot camp.  Refusal to ship out will result in a "discharge" which is really just a admin drill saying you never went.  The record however is permanent and a future attempt to enlist or obtain a commission will require an explanation and usually a waiver to get in.  I saw several while I was a recruiter saw a couple get turned down (other problems with the individual usually), and even saw one where the waiver said the individual had to swear in and ship on the same day, no DEP allowed! 

I have also seen guys/gals who swore in the second time (on ship out day) try and back out and that was a different story!  They will do everything in their power to convince you after that second time to go willingly but I saw one refuse and end up getting cuffed and taken to local jail to await pickup by service "the term Navy uses" brig chasers.  Since you swore in the second time they feel the investment (read you were a big enough pain in their ass) was enough that they will get some time from you even if that mean sitting around waiting for an admin separation.  They give you a bus ticket home from boot camp and send you on your way eventually.  Normally anyone who ditches from Meps to bootcamp gets this treatment, although sometimes the individual can have a change of heart before the sep and they are allowed to stay if they can hack it.

Anyway just wanted to get it "right", yes until you go there a second time they "do not have you'" but because they choose not because you have the upper hand.   
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 »
Well said ksheed12 on almost all accounts, however on point four you are slightly off.  Your intent is correct but factually you are wrong.  In fact the contract and swearing in you do going into the DEP is a real and binding contract and they do "have you", however in todays world (and for many years past) the military has no desire to "force" individuals to serve if they change their mind before boot camp.  Refusal to ship out will result in a "discharge" which is really just a admin drill saying you never went.  The record however is permanent and a future attempt to enlist or obtain a commission will require an explanation and usually a waiver to get in.  I saw several while I was a recruiter saw a couple get turned down (other problems with the individual usually), and even saw one where the waiver said the individual had to swear in and ship on the same day, no DEP allowed! 

I have also seen guys/gals who swore in the second time (on ship out day) try and back out and that was a different story!  They will do everything in their power to convince you after that second time to go willingly but I saw one refuse and end up getting cuffed and taken to local jail to await pickup by service "the term Navy uses" brig chasers.  Since you swore in the second time they feel the investment (read you were a big enough pain in their ass) was enough that they will get some time from you even if that mean sitting around waiting for an admin separation.  They give you a bus ticket home from boot camp and send you on your way eventually.  Normally anyone who ditches from Meps to bootcamp gets this treatment, although sometimes the individual can have a change of heart before the sep and they are allowed to stay if they can hack it.

Anyway just wanted to get it "right", yes until you go there a second time they "do not have you'" but because they choose not because you have the upper hand.   

Good clarification, I didn't consider a potential recruit changing their mind again and attempting to enlist again. What I was after was the fact that if you had changed your mind you could get out of going at all. I would have never guessed that anyone would have backed out then decided to try again.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:10 »
I think what he's saying is that you technically can't back out the first time, just like you technically can't cross a street outside of a crosswalk. But no one cares enough to waste resources on putting you in jail for it.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:55 »
More like no one gets a ticket for doing 56 in a 55 zone but a ticket could be issued if the cop wanted to get you bad enough!

AS to people changing their mind and wanting to get in, well most of the time they back out due to fear not because they got something great going on in their life, eventually many of them over come the fear and realize the reason they joined in the first place still exists.
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline MGH

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:01 »
You can talk yourself into our out of anything...it's part of being human.

Go for the direction, focus, and distance that the Navy provides...or forget about it and stay in your current situation.

Anyone can go to community college...

You truly only live once...it's your life...get going.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?