Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ron Nurney honeypot

Author Topic: Ron Nurney  (Read 22247 times)

Offline x6655

• Very Lite User
Ron Nurney
« on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:51 »
Contract worker found dead at Cooper Nuclear Station

Officials with Nebraska Public Power District and the Nemaha County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the death of an out-of-state contract worker at Cooper Nuclear Station near Brownville.

A plant employee found the worker's body on the refueling floor of the reactor building and notified the control room at 7:38 a.m. Tuesday, NPPD spokesman Mark Becker said.

The Nemaha County Sheriff's Office identified the man as Ronald Nurney, 66, of Smithfield, Va.

Investigators don't suspect foul play or an industrial accident in the death, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Control room operators declared a medical emergency, and Becker said onsite EMTs found the man unresponsive.

Becker said Nurney worked for Bartlett Nuclear Inc., a Plymouth, Mass.-based company that supplies radiation safety and protection personnel to the U.S. commercial nuclear power industry.

Becker said Nurney, who had worked at Cooper intermittently for a number of years, is one of many contract employees at the plant.

Nurney monitored radiation levels at the plant just south of Brownville on the Missouri River.

The plant has reported the incident to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and OSHA, as required.

NRC Region IV spokeswoman Lara Uselding said the two resident NRC inspectors are working closely with NPPD and the sheriff's office. She did not have information regarding similar incidents at other nuclear plants across the country.

"As of any workplace, humans are humans — we get sick, we age. There have been other cases at other plants where an individual was transported off site for medical reasons," Uselding said.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2014, 06:54 by x6655 »

irishfan

Re: Ron Nurney
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:14 »
What a sad loss for the nuclear field.
Rest in peace Ron you will be greatly missed.

Jr8black3

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:03 »
Rest in peace brother. 6th time I have had to say that this week.. :(

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:16 »
I lost a friend and co-worker today. Ron's desk was right next to mine and most mornings we walked into work together. There is not a finer man that I have worked with over the years and none that took the pride in his work as Ron did. He will be missed by all of us here at Cooper. He was part of our team. My prayers go out to Ron's family.

Offline nickscott13

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:42 »
Worked with Ron in 2012 at Cooper for the fuel pool cleanup job.  Was a great man with a great attitude!  I loved that I could sit down and shoot the shit with him as friends but if you did something stupid, he'd let you know..........quickly.  The industry def lost a great man!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:16 »
We'll miss you, Ron.  :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:48 »
I have worked with my buddy Ron for many years, he was a great person, friend, and my mentor. You will be missed greatly by your friends.  RIP my buddy Ron.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:56 »
Ohh, Man  :(  This is horrible news.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

slattmandu

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:22 »
Worked with Ron many times over the years. He was a good tech, laid back, polite and had a great sense of humor. He will be missed in the industry. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. What a drag to hear of his passing!

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:11 »
What a sad deal, Ron was a great friend and will be missed. 
Words cannot express how much Ron meant to me, everyone who knew him knows
that we lost a great guy, the world will be  a little drearier from now on...'
Knowing Ron, he was probably the first in line at the Pearly Gates this morning...

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:18 »
I am heartbroken to hear of Ron's passing. Worked with him many times over the years, always fun to talk to. I will miss him greatly. My prayers go out to his family and friends, RIP Ron and may God Bless.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline cjhunter

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:43 »
This is such sad news.  He was one of the nicest guys I have worked with.  Just the "nicest guy".....Rest in Peace Nurney.......U will definately be missed.  I'll see you on that big white cloud when i get there!!!! 

Offline bozoheadv

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:49 »
Ive known Ron for many years.  There wasnt a nicer man. Ron is sitting in heaven with all the rest of the fallen laughing at us. I learned alot from Ron. God bless his memory.  Ill miss you my friend . 

Vinnie

Chimera

« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:22 »
I enjoyed working with Ron and always respected his work ethic.  Somehow it just seems fitting that he was on the Refuel Floor when this happened.  He always pushed himself and those around him to be the best they knew how.

God bless his soul.  I will miss him.

Michael

Offline NukeTravler

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:24 »
 :-X I will miss Ron very much, he was one of the very few in this industry that I respected. RIP "Old Man"
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2014, 05:26 by NukeTravler »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:03 »
I worked in the turbine building at Crystal River with Ron and later at Cooper. Ron was a special guy. Every day at CR I would "thank God for Ron Nurney". He was wonderful to work with and a great guy. A friend has been lost.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline JerryTaylor

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:11 »
  I am Shocked and Saddened by the passing of my good friend Ron Nurney. Ron was a mentor, a hell of a tech. He was one of a kind!
Those that had the honor to work and learn under his watchful eye were truly blessed. My family and I extend our heart felt prayers to the Nurney family. Rest in Peace my Friend! 

bama

« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:25 »
 :'( Ron was one of the best of the best! great tech, the most wonderful kindhearted man I have known & great friend.  I will miss you terribly Ron Nurnery, your laugh, smile & sweet words.  You wanted to see my brother Larry again, I know yall must be having some kind of laughs up in heaven about now along with my dad Don. I love you Ron, RIP.
Donna Thornton

Offline Andyssister

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:35 »
Taken back a bit by this! Just trying to think of the right words to express what a great loss this is. Super great guy! Super great tech! 

I worked my first outage ever in 1989 with Ron at Cooper Station. It's sad to say but I think all the "greats" from that outage are now together. Put my brother, Andy Konwinski, my dad, Tom Konwinski, John Wekwert, Brad Oliver, and Ron Nurney in the same plant, talk about guys who knew nuclear power!!!  I will miss each and every one of you every day of my life. See you when I get there.

Offline kaward1961

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:04 »
Even though it has been since the late 80s since seeing and working with Ron, He is definately a person you will never forget. RIP friend

Andy

tmp21849

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:51 »
Worked with Ron a few times at Cooper.  A really good guy and a fine tech. You'll be missed my friend.
Ira

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:07 »
Burn Screaming Eagle rubber buddy!    RIP

RADBASTARD

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:21 »
Ron' passing hit me and my wife like a ton of bricks. We have worked with Ron many times over the years and we were site cords together at Cooper and Fort Calhoun. We did S/G replacements at Calvert and Sharon Harris together.
There wasn't a harder working tech in the business I can honestly say.
Ron was suppose to work with me in Brazil but he had shoulder issues to deal with.
If you were in a bad mood he would put a smile on your face with his great sense of humor.
We will miss you my friend and my co worker and one day we will meet you again in the big reactor building in the sky.
God Bless you Ron your friends Romo and Kadja

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?