20 (11.3%)
4 year Degree
36 (20.3%)
Over 4 years of college
52 (29.4%)
Military Training
25 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Education  (Read 51287 times)

Atomic_Punk

Re: Your Educational Background
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:55 »
Some Jr. High.

Gonzo

« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:38 »
Some Jr. High.

don't forget your CBT training at Palo..

M1Ark

« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:26 »
Navy Training
- Nuclear Field Machinst Mate "A" School
- Naval Nuclear Power School
- Naval Nuclear Prototype

B.S. Computer Information Systems - Chapman University

NLO Initial Training - Turkey Point Nuclear Training Station

Flame,

Make sure you go to INPO.ORG while at work at PTN and review INPO ACAD 00-003 and see which of the six flowcharts you can meet for that instant-SRO position you've accepted at your new plant.

Not trying to be an alarmist... just trying to cover your back.

M1Ark

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2006, 06:16 »
EWS for 4 years.  I had to provide them Navy paperwork to prove it (DD-214, Evals).  But thanks for the heads up.

cbramsey

« Reply #54 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:46 »
BS in Mechanical Engineering -  University of Alabama

MS (More of Same) in Mechanical Engineering - University of Alabama 

lowlrc

« Reply #55 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:24 »
IRM's Nuclear High School  "86" >:(

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006, 12:24 by lowlrc »

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:46 »
BS: Physics - Elizabeth City State University
MS: Nuclear Physics - Hampton University

My brain hurts.
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

nukewood

« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:41 »
2 years U.S. Air Force Academy, BA econ. UVM, Burlington, Vt., Air Foce Pilot Training ,Del Rio, Tex. 1972. Full Gospel Bible Inst, Pa. 1986. Learned HP ojt from many helpful ex - navy nukes.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:48 »
U.S. Navy Nuclear trained, some college on the way there but that is another story for another thread

LaFeet

« Reply #59 on: Apr 15, 2007, 03:21 »
Funny   no one seems to mentioning any of the fine Culinary Arts schools.... ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 04:44 by LaFeet »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #60 on: Apr 17, 2007, 03:26 »
11 yrs school, G.E.D and school of hard knocks ( deconned 25 yrs and now 24 months RP )
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Evilpixie

« Reply #61 on: Apr 17, 2007, 03:10 »
Lots of useless junior college classes (but they seemed so interesting at the time...); basic radiation protection technology course, OJT, tld courses, remp courses, gamma spec courses, some metallurgy courses, BS in computer engineering, minor in computer science, CCNA and working on MCSE, SCADA/system automation courses (ie. triconex, allen bradley, system 1, etc)

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
Re: Education
« Reply #62 on: Apr 22, 2007, 11:48 »
T Tarbox
I agree with you to a point. I went to high school in the late 70's so that alone should tell you about how much knowledge I took in.I am a deconner turned RP as you say and I have even worked with you quite a bit such as ANO and HAKE in Memphis. I agree that work exper. and hands on knowledge a big plus, but how ever being high school drop out and just a G.E.D under my belt has cost over the years. I had an interview for house job at ANO in 89 and was told my education ( lack of ) was the reason I was turned down.I will say work knowledge has helped me limp through,but now that I've made the jump I realize just how clueless I am. I see some of the JR's now that is fixin to turn SR who has just set at a check point, but does know compton scratting,pair production and could make 90-100 northeast.I see others like myself that through the years has learnt the systems and how to react.So who is the better tech ,one who knows the book or one who knows the job. The answer I think it takes a lot of both.These days a person can never have enough education if college or from another tech. class. I wish now I would have listened then. Tarbox" Stay with it" keep on the track your on it will make you the better tech, because I know where you came from and what you can be
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 03:16 by RELLISON62 »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #63 on: Apr 24, 2007, 10:16 »
Agreed a college education is not necessary to be successful in this business, but it doesn't hurt you one bit. Any knowledge one can acquire, whether by college or trade schools is better than nothing.And it helps your resume', too.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #64 on: Aug 15, 2009, 12:54 »
B.S. Physics
M.E. Nuclear Engineering

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
« Reply #65 on: Aug 19, 2009, 05:46 »
Tarbox!!
I say it has been a few years, cause you can't remember my name,but thats alright because time tends to do that.I got your point anyway and hang in there.I'm glad to see your doing good.By the way my name is Robert,but you would more likely remember the name Booger!!

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:18 »
I was a vocal music education major at FSCC (Ft. Scott, KS). Left there before finishing my Associate's, moved to GA, took another year or so at GA Southern, ran out of $$. Worked some crap jobs and was 24 and homeless before checking the service out. Navy nuke pipeline (ET), and ETMS since then. Going to be completing a degree eventually.
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?