Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Physics Degree & Entry level Operator honeypot

Author Topic: Physics Degree & Entry level Operator  (Read 77437 times)

DukeMaster87

Re: Physics Degree & Entry level Operator
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:23 »
I told you in the my first posts I had no experience that is why I applied to trainee positions.  those are designed for people like me.  If not then the classification needs to be trained. 

Like i said General Electric has job postings for entry level but then require PhD an 10 years experience.  That is not entry level.
 maybe for that company that is unionized but the laws of Economics dont change.

Atlas Shrugged????  Where that came from I do not know.  (RON PAUL 2012!)   I agree with that people with more experience would trump me in a general application contest, but these positions limit the amount experience one could have to be considered.

And yes in some fields not having experience might be beneficial.  If you know how to do something one way and have been doing it for 30 years you probably aren't going to change vs a new kid can learn the company way and would be easier to train in that way.

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:23 »
Without experience ge ain't hiring you either. They have nearly the same process. I worked for quite some Time with their hiring manager. Great guy former senior reactor operator .

DukeMaster87

« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:24 »
Because it is a trainee job. You are training a person with experience to fill a position via a TRAINING program. Btw with

Sounds like you should just remove the job posting for entry level and put an experience posting up.  You would get more job applicants with experience that way and less with no experience.

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:25 »
The people we hire know how to do it the nuclear way. You don't hire people who can't donut the nuclear way. So your theory isn't valid snowflake

DukeMaster87

« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:26 »
Without experience ge ain't hiring you either. They have nearly the same process. I worked for quite some Time with their hiring manager. Great guy former senior reactor operator .

How do you get experience if they wont even hire you at the entry level position?   If they require a PhD at the entry level, who knows what they require at the high levels...

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:27 »
Our entry level jobs require experience. This is the nuclear industry. We don't let rookies in. Entry level is just that the job required to enter the company. All industries are like this.

DukeMaster87

« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:29 »
The people we hire know how to do it the nuclear way. You don't hire people who can't donut the nuclear way. So your theory isn't valid snowflake

again if you are looking for people with years of experience, dont mislead potential applicants with jobs postings containing the words 'entry level'  they are not.  it is considered 'experience' classification.  You say the problem you face is too many applicants and not enough time to go through them.  Part of that is your fault for using the wrong classifications causing the wrong people to apply.

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:30 »
Join the navy. Get a job in the fossil industry. Do something besides whine here. At the current time you don't make the cut. Get a job and grow up. Get the concept of fair out of your view if life and learn the employer cares less if you need the job. Quickest way to get thrown out of my interviews is to even imply I need you.

Fermi2

« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:32 »
None is my fault. Nuke entry level requires experience. I have spent far too much of my day trying to explain this to a nub. My suggestion find another industry. You won't get hired in this one. Nor the one I currently work in. At least when I am the hiring manager.

DukeMaster87

« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:35 »
None is my fault. Nuke entry level requires experience. I have spent far too much of my day trying to explain this to a nub. My suggestion find another industry. You won't get hired in this one. Nor the one I currently work in. At least when I am the hiring manager.

good thing I went to college, got good grades and did all that graduate work in a scientific field like everyone was telling everyone to do.....   I am just thankful to the lord that I don owe a mortgage-sized student loan like most of my peers.

DukeMaster87

« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:40 »

I met all the minimum qualifications and was never really being considered to begin with. thats nice   'entry level' does not equal 'experienced professional'  two different options.

Offline Broncos5

• Lurker
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:51 »
It sounds like you do meet the minimum qualifications.  Just keep applying.  I have a BS in Physics and hired in out of college with no navy experience, as did many NLOs in my class and now most of us are licensed.  We have a hard time finding applicants who even meet the minimum requirements at my facility.  But,  with that being said there is a push to focus on local talent to help minimize attrition. 

Fermi2

« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:54 »
Btw hey Dave how are ya? I have been launching a new training program that people said couldn't be launched, also am roughing out a supervisor training program and doing a confidential project that I can't discuss here. Also the Sr VP is a nuke so everything that anyone else says is impossible he says hey see if that shift manager we have can take a shot at it. Also even though I am not in generation the generation manager gives me stuff to do from time to time. So I am busy as hell man!

DukeMaster87

« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:01 »
It sounds like you do meet the minimum qualifications.  Just keep applying.  I have a BS in Physics and hired in out of college with no navy experience, as did many NLOs in my class and now most of us are licensed.  We have a hard time finding applicants who even meet the minimum requirements at my facility.  But,  with that being said there is a push to focus on local talent to help minimize attrition. 

Thank you for the positive posts.  I have applied to a few positions around the country.  Travel is no problem for me (have no kids and single) neither location, I can move anywhere at my own expense.  I have taken courses in Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics ect but no hands on nuclear experience.   I'm happy to hear your success.   

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:07 »
 If a companies management is weak enough to allow unions, it reflects the companies.

Have you ever worked with Union people?  I hadn't until I started my new job and (for the most part) they are extremely professional, competent individuals.  What they ask for in their contract is fair and the fact that they are a Union in terms of day to day is pretty invisible.  I don't see what your problem is with groups unionizing.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:11 »
again if you are looking for people with years of experience, dont mislead potential applicants with jobs postings containing the words 'entry level'  they are not.  it is considered 'experience' classification.  You say the problem you face is too many applicants and not enough time to go through them.  Part of that is your fault for using the wrong classifications causing the wrong people to apply.

We have people who started as janitors at my plant who worked their way up to operations.  Your pity party is really not productive.  So lets say they revise all the job postings, you're still not qualified.  Instead of wasting your time arguing how something should be vice the way it is maybe you should put in some applications somewhere else in the industry.

Fermi2

« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:12 »
Have you ever worked with Union people?  I hadn't until I started my new job and (for the most part) they are extremely professional, competent individuals.  What they ask for in their contract is fair and the fact that they are a Union in terms of day to day is pretty invisible.  I don't see what your problem is with groups unionizing.

Yeah I actually have found the Union people at all 3 utilities I have worked at to be very hard working and reasonable. The union president here has a masters in management. As a rule they hate dirtbags too.

Fermi2

« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:13 »
Well said Space!

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:17 »
Well said Space!

Thanks.  I'm just finishing up my six months before class starts and have gotten nothing but support from the AOs/ROs in terms of clearing up questions on the systems and pushing me on level of knowledge/locations, so I've got a soft spot for those guys.  Nothing like getting a Makeup/Purification checkout from someone who's been operating that system for ~40 years.

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:20 »
Must be a Pwr by the name of the system a B and W plant though I could he wrong.

SRO?

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #45 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:23 »
Must be a Pwr by the name of the system a B and W plant though I could he wrong.

SRO?

Sure is.  And yeah, start my classes at the end of this month.

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:24 »
I thought so. Let me guess your hpi pumps need to piggyback above 1600 pounds?

If you need any help let me know!

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:35 »
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Fermi2

« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:40 »
Which plant? You can PM it if you want

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:59 »
good thing I went to college, got good grades and did all that graduate work in a scientific field like everyone was telling everyone to do.....   I am just thankful to the lord that I don owe a mortgage-sized student loan like most of my peers.

To many degrees out there. A lot of interns in the DOE world to get a foot in the door. Unfortunately the paradigm for employment has changed, BZ is correct and not just for the nuclear industry.

What the employer wants: A track of accomplishment

This year the trend that employers are looking for is your achievements as a strategy and what you can do for them. It is no longer about how skilled you are in specific areas, are your technically savy, what kind of degree you have or certifications do not tell the employer how you will perform in the workplace.

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-the-employer-wants-a-track-of-accomplishment

GPA not best gauge of performance

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/index.php/gpa-not-best-gauge-of-performance/

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?