Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Physics Degree & Entry level Operator honeypot

Author Topic: Physics Degree & Entry level Operator  (Read 77419 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Physics Degree & Entry level Operator
« Reply #100 on: Mar 07, 2014, 04:16 »
Gold members do  8)

[BS]   and    [poo]

I'm a cheapskate.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Although (as I noted in my original post) there are a few outlier plants where a thick skin is needed, I still feel that most of the industry no longer tolerates the abusive types that would make a thick skin necessary.

No worries. I disagree with people often. I don't necessarily consider it abusive behavior. With the high level of pay comes a high level of expectations. Couple that with low threshold for excuses and you are going to get a no nonsense business model. Maybe it has something to do with the military mindset? Sometimes members of this forum do come across as abusive. I try to avoid it at all cost on here, but on the job I give and expect top performance, especially from experienced nuke workers. My BS threshold is very low.

When did I ever say abusive? Or be a jerk. I have always avoided that and yes I am a hard ass. Do it right or you will hear from me. I don't care what your excuses are and will tell you right off. Leave the butt hurt at the door. At the end of the year when they say award everyone 3% and I award you 1 because you didn't cut the snuff, don't whine. Go out and meet expectations.

I have to admit I agree with you. How can you quickly correct a deficiency if you are not straight forward with your approach? If the deficiency has the potential to effect plant performance or safety it needs to be addressed quickly and without prejudice. I do believe there is a difference between being a hard a$$ and being abusive or derogatory.

Example:
"Hey Bob, I think that may have been a bad decision. Could you try not to do that next time, please?"

or...

"Bob, that mistake is going to cost us two days in the outage schedule! If you are not sure of what your doing you need to figure it out or ask for help! Don't ever make such a stupid assumption again!"

Which one is going to stick in your memory?
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014, 04:22 by ksheed12 »

Fermi2

« Reply #101 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:08 »
If at all possible I wouldn't use the word stupid as it is degrading and personal. Otherwise you hit it dead on. If possible I would ask what other paths he thought was available and if I could end it with whatever he did good or right and how he could have applied it for success, that way it ends on a positive note.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #102 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:03 »
If at all possible I wouldn't use the word stupid as it is degrading and personal. Otherwise you hit it dead on. If possible I would ask what other paths he thought was available and if I could end it with whatever he did good or right and how he could have applied it for success, that way it ends on a positive note.

Yeah, positive notes are great.  I guess DukeMaster87 just never got his...   :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fermi2

« Reply #103 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:19 »
Simple he was an idiot. I tried telling him how it worked and why his need for instant gratification was not going to be filled then he revealed what a true douchelord he would be as an employee. I have no idea where anyone gets the idea entry level means no experience. It depends on the industry. If NASA posted for entry level astronauts would that mean anyone who wanted to be an astronaut with a physics degree would be qualified? Entry level is that position which is the lowest in a job classification ie the normal starting point.?it does not imply in the least no experience.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #104 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:39 »
If at all possible I wouldn't use the word stupid as it is degrading and personal.
Simple he was an idiot. I tried telling him how it worked and why his need for instant gratification was not going to be filled then he revealed what a true douchelord he would be as an employee.

???

Seems to be an lack of consistency between those posts.

It's possible you were truly trying to be helpful when you made your original reply to the new poster:

No they are not false advertising they are posting the minim requirement. Technology has nothing to do with it. Hr has to review the resumes then attempt to screen them. Those making the minimum cut are then sent to the hiring manager for his review. This person probably has an hour a week to handle this as he has more important duties. He then has to create a weighted matrix of the qualifications as to what he deems to be most important experience or education. He has to get this approved by hr to ensure he did not include discriminatory factors. Them he fills on the blanks and sees who meets his minimum requirements. Then he has to submit his proposed interview questions and grading scale to hr.
It's a million dollar investment so you have to get it right and ensure the company doesn't get sued in the process. At minimum I would have 10 spots to fill. I don't get another chance for 2 years and getting the wrong people disrupts other timelines.
Btw from what I have seen you wouldn't make my cut and I have an outstanding record for hiring the right people.

However, from the outside, your final (hard-a**?) comment doesn't come across as the positive note that you said you like to end on...and the rest of the thread quickly deteriorated from there, so...just didn't seem like a 'win' for NukeWorker.   :(

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fermi2

« Reply #105 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:50 »
He wasn't one of my employees who I am trying to develope. He is just a snot nosed kid who thinks the world needs to change to suit him so nope don't care if I injure his tender feelings.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #106 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:58 »
He wasn't one of my employees who I am trying to develope. He is just a snot nosed kid who thinks the world needs to change to suit him so nope don't care if I injure his tender feelings.

Yeah, it looked like you didn't care.   :(

However, rule #4 seems to say that even snot-nosed kids get to come on here and ask questions without getting abused:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html
4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

(Color me 'Triggered')   :(

modified for clarity

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014, 10:14 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #107 on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:05 »
I'm a cheapskate.

$36.50/year...  that's just $3.04/month that should be in a rich operators budget  [coffee]

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #108 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:21 »

Yours is an outlier. TMI has to piggy back. So does The Bess.

the piggyback mode is for a small break LOCA where you maintain RCS level but deplete the BWST inventory. Then shift to piggyback mode to use the LPI pumps to take a suction on the RB Sump and send it to the suction of the HPI pumps.  In a B&W design a HPI pump is also used for normal makeup (makeup and purification system) and must be able to pump at NOP.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #109 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:23 »
$36.50/year...  that's just $3.04/month that should be in a rich operators budget  [coffee]

For just one penny a day??? I'll make sure to mention it to all the rich operators I know.  [sarcasm]

Offline Smilin' Joe Fission

• Light User
« Reply #110 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:05 »
I'm pretty much brand new to the industry (engineering), I began training just over a week ago and haven't set foot in my station yet. However, it has been drilled into us already that mistakes that are made do to carelessness or laziness will be met with a chewing out, so to say. I appreciate BZ's commentary here even when it gets harsh. Screw ups at the station that are not caught can be safety and/or economic disasters. Supervisors need to make sure the workers under them understand this and need to be pretty critical of their work.

New grads or anyone looking to get into the industry need to realize that being willfully ignorant and arrogant is not something people are going to take much, if any, of (same anywhere, but much more so here). Duke87 started from that position and BZ called him on it. He continued from there and then cemented himself there in the rest of his posts. I would expect that reaction from members if I came on here talking like him, and I think it is reasonable.

Edit: Used an inappropriate word, changed it to meet forum rules. Sorry for the error.  :-[

Modified for language:   6. Sexual innuendo and profanity. Keep the site PG-13, kids visit this site, the NRC visits this site, the Secret Service visits this site, Managers visit this site, I visit the site, good Christian people visit the site, etc. If it's questionable, don't do it. Let's just say that if you're going  to post something that really needs the questionable language to achieve the desired humorous effect put it in the 'Bathroom Wall' in the donors only area, so those that choose not to go there will not be exposed to it. Got it? If you're in the middle of a thread and feel the need for an expletive, can we maybe star out some of the letters or something?

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2014, 10:33 by Joe_Fission »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:03 »
I'm pretty much brand new to the industry (engineering), I began training just over a week ago and haven't set foot in my station yet. However, it has been drilled into us already that mistakes that are made do to carelessness or laziness will be met with a chewing out, so to say. I appreciate BZ's commentary here even when it gets harsh. F@#k ups at the station that are not caught can be safety and/or economic disasters. Supervisors need to make sure the workers under them understand this and need to be pretty critical of their work.

New grads or anyone looking to get into the industry need to realize that being willfully ignorant and arrogant is not something people are going to take much, if any, of (same anywhere, but much more so here). Duke87 started from that position and BZ called him on it. He continued from there and then cemented himself there in the rest of his posts. I would expect that reaction from members if I came on here talking like him, and I think it is reasonable.

1.  Welcome to the industry.

2.  Don't be too quick to judge people...esp. if they are new to an area or website (it takes a while to acclimate to new social norms)...and esp. if someone attacks them first (many of us react aggressively if attacked...and might come across as arrogant in doing so...)

3.  If you are going to judge people, please apply the same criteria across the board.  (ie...Did anyone else in this thread display arrogance?)

4.  Last, but definitely not least, if they are drilling stuff into you in training I'm assuming you have heard of 'procedural compliance'?  I will tell you that anyone who displays a complete disregard for rules in the outside world (like on this website) will also tend to have a hard time complying with procedures in the plant...so you might re-consider your role models.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014, 10:04 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #112 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:06 »

1.  Welcome to the industry.

2.  Don't be too quick to judge people...esp. if they are new to an area or website (it takes a while to acclimate to new social norms)...and esp. if someone attacks them first (many of us react aggressively if attacked...and might come across as arrogant in doing so...)

3.  If you are going to judge people, please apply the same criteria across the board.  (ie...Did anyone else in this thread display arrogance?)

4.  Last, but definitely not least, if they are drilling stuff into you in training I'm assuming you have heard of 'procedural compliance'?  I will tell you that anyone who displays a complete disregard for rules in the outside world (like on this website) will also tend to have a hard time complying with procedures in the plant...so you might re-consider your role models.

Good luck!  :)
Good post. I agree with most of it. But equating someone that violates forum rules with violating plant procedures is a bit of a stretch. Also 99% of the post on this thread are off topic which is a forum rule which I am also guilty of.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #113 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:18 »
Also 99% of the post on this thread are off topic...

Touché!  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014, 11:21 by UncaBuffalo »

Fermi2

« Reply #114 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:40 »
I have never really concerned myself with the feelings of a NUB nor will I ever worry about it. The honesty I have found in fossil is refreshing and should be the model for the nuclear industry.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #115 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:19 »
Equating the way you treat people with their qualifications.  What a way to judge people!  Reminds me 100% of how it was in the Navy.  Ahoy Matey!  Wow did this thread degenerate or what.  [dink]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #116 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:20 »
Equating the way you treat people with their qualifications.  What a way to judge people!  Reminds me 100% of how it was in the Navy.  Ahoy Matey!  Wow did this thread degenerate or what.  [dink]

To be fair, many people treat others based on how much they think the other person is like they are.

They are called Bigots.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:19 »
To be fair...

I guess I'm having a slow moment...what does being fair have to do with bigotry?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:56 »
I guess I'm having a slow moment...what does being fair have to do with bigotry?

Only in the world of sarcasm... I was being 'fair' to the person that treats people based on whether or not they are qualified/playing in the big leagues/capable of searching/worthy of assistance.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #119 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:23 »
I have never been a bigot in any way shape or form.
Sorry boys I have helped develop guys into some fantastic jobs.
I have helped guys here and from other forums get jobs.
I just got a fantastic thank you letter from a guy who just obtained a teacher position and he feels me resume, interview, and how to handle yourself are the biggest reasons his search was finally successful as a guy in a movie stated I may be a mean cuss but I am the same mean cuss to everyone.

Fact is my shifts don't make mistakes
They don't get people injured
They have an excellent productivity rating
They solve problems
They get promoted
And I have waiting lists to get into my work group

Ain't it wonderful what holding people accountable does?

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #120 on: Mar 10, 2014, 01:26 »
When's the parade?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #121 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:28 »
I have never been a bigot in any way shape or form.
Sorry boys I have helped develop guys into some fantastic jobs.
I have helped guys here and from other forums get jobs.
I just got a fantastic thank you letter from a guy who just obtained a teacher position and he feels me resume, interview, and how to handle yourself are the biggest reasons his search was finally successful as a guy in a movie stated I may be a mean cuss but I am the same mean cuss to everyone.

Fact is my shifts don't make mistakes
They don't get people injured
They have an excellent productivity rating
They solve problems
They get promoted
And I have waiting lists to get into my work group

Ain't it wonderful what holding people accountable does?

Being blunt and honest is a good thing... +K name calling, bullying, and being demeaning not so much.  -K

Making your subordinates tow the line is a very good thing... +K bludgeoning naive wannabe's not so much.  -K

On shift you may earn an A+ but on a forum that is intended to help coworkers, entry level personnel and the just plain curious about nuclear power B-, I think one would expect a senior manager to be the adult in the room.  ::)

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 06:57 by Marlin »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:43 »
Being blunt and honest is a good thing... +K name calling, bullying, and being demeaning not so much.  -K

Making your subordinates tow the line is a very good thing... +K bludgeoning naive wannabe's not so much.  -K

On shift you may earn an A+ but on a forum that is intended to help coworkers, entry level personnel and the just plain curious about nuclear power B-, I think one would expect a senior manager to be the adult in the room.  ::)

You grade generously. And you don't know many senior managers very well, do you?  ;)

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #123 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:54 »
You grade generously. And you don't know many senior managers very well, do you?  ;)

I graded him based on his contribution to Nukeworker, he has helped many people and his knowledge is above average and valuable. His coaching skills that successful senior managers have not so much.

[coffee]

If he was a college sports head coach he would probably deserve an A+.  [devious]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:07 »
  I graded him based on his contribution to Nukeworker, he has helped many people and his knowledge is above average and valuable. His coaching skills that successful senior managers have not so much.

[coffee]

If he was a college sports head coach he would probably deserve an A+.  [devious]

I got all of that. If I were to grade him on his contribution I would have to remove points for the many people that might have been contributors that were driven away by his attitude.

I personally would rather have the new people that want to learn and ask questions than a self-righteous jerk that make them think the nuclear industry is full of people like him. I have not often encountered people I would like to work with/for less. He has helped a few and driven away many. I have even had people ask me why he is such a jerk off line and cite people like him that made them give up on Nukeworker all together. Hell, he won't even give up a few dollars to support the site... maybe he doesn't make enough money?

I would say we are way off topic, but the original poster is not even a member any more so I guess there is no real topic any more.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 10:11 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?