Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are these shoes acceptable for outage? honeypot

Author Topic: Are these shoes acceptable for outage?  (Read 7756 times)

HITR94

Are these shoes acceptable for outage?
« on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:03 »
Going to McGuire in a week.  First outage...

http://www.catfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21159M/45496/Mens/Mens-Argon-Composite-Toe-Work-Shoe?dimensions=0

Would these shoes suffice or do they have to be boots?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Are these shoes acceptable for outage?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:17 »
Going to McGuire in a week.  First outage...

http://www.catfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21159M/45496/Mens/Mens-Argon-Composite-Toe-Work-Shoe?dimensions=0

Would these shoes suffice or do they have to be boots?

I haven't worked McGuire, but have never seen a plant that required boots.  Any safety-toed shoe should be acceptable.

Good luck at the outage!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

HITR94

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:54 »
Thanks for the response!

Have a good day.

Graphic

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:57 »
I've seen plenty of guys wearing those kind as well.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:05 »
there is at least one utility which has made boots mandatory,...

call or e-mail the site coordinator (or site manager) or the contract company bringing you in and ask them what is acceptable,....

it is their job to know and anybody here who tells you what you want to hear instead of what you need to hear is not obligated to shell out the money to buy you what you are required to have,....

but then I'm just a GOB, it's your money, spend it as you choose,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:46 »
Only 2/5 stars!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:10 »
...but then I'm just a GOB, it's your money, spend it as you choose,....

Government of Bangladesh?  General Obligation Bond?  Grants Operation Branch?  Groupe Ornithologique Breton?  ;)

He has a good point.  If you have any doubt, it wouldn't take long to ask the coordinator or recruiter.

Good luck!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Graphic

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:53 »
there is at least one utility which has made boots mandatory,...

call or e-mail the site coordinator (or site manager) or the contract company bringing you in and ask them what is acceptable,....

it is their job to know and anybody here who tells you what you want to hear instead of what you need to hear is not obligated to shell out the money to buy you what you are required to have,....

but then I'm just a GOB, it's your money, spend it as you choose,....

No doubt.. definitely check with your recruiter or contractor. In my case, I'm in the office 80% of the time and in the field 20% and I like the feel of my ankles being free. If I worked in the field more I would probably go with the other.

GOB -- Good ol boy? lol

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:17 »
Always check with the site coordinator - they will know what the site requires.  When purchasing composite toe safety shoes, make sure they are rated "E" for electrical work.  Some composite toe shoes are not because they have a metal shank instead of a composite shank.  The metal detectors will pick up on that steel shank.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:23 »
Government of Bangladesh?  General Obligation Bond?  Grants Operation Branch?  Groupe Ornithologique Breton?  ;)
GOB -- Good ol boy? lol

Grumpy Old Bastard.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:39 »
Well, back in the day, the direction to which this thread may veer was a full three pages of responses filed under:

NukeWorker Forum > Reference, Questions and Help > Nuke Q&A > Work Shoes

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

specifically residing at this link;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,845.0.html

as opposed to where this thread is living:

NukeWorker Forum > Career Path > Outages > Are these shoes acceptable for outage?

I'm not sure why safety shoe or boot selection is found in the career path category unless the notion is that if the OP makes the wrong selection of PPE, then the OP's career may be rather short?!?!?!?

Then again, in those three pages of discussion which spanned seven years no one ever suggested to anyone to check with proper authority to know which shoe or boot was required at a minimum for any particular site,....

So the OP does get credit for asking a question which most likely has not been asked before,...

Whether the OP checks back in to review the best correct answer to the OP's question remains to be seen,...
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014, 08:44 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:31 »
aye have a pear witch eye am wearing at besse.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:23 »
aye have a pear witch eye am wearing at besse.

yep,....saw that

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:50 »
There is no boot requirement that I am aware of at the old Duke plants last I recall if they meet a national standard such as ANSI Z41-1991 ASTM F2412-05 or F2413-05 and have safety toe caps they should be good to go.

Still good advice to check with your site contacts

sf

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?