Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex Navy Nuke with B.S. in Biochemistry honeypot

Author Topic: Ex Navy Nuke with B.S. in Biochemistry  (Read 17329 times)

Offline theurnhelm

• Very Lite User
Ex Navy Nuke with B.S. in Biochemistry
« on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:06 »
New to the forum here, I apologize if this has been answered but I can't seem to find any relevant threads by searching.

I separated from the Navy in 2008 as an E-4 nuke EM (not SRO qualified, medically separated early, qualified up through PE/ME), and decided to go to school full time. I received my B.S. in Biochemistry in 3 years and have been working in the biotech field for 2 1/2 years. I am considering a career change, and would like to leverage my experience as a navy nuke and my education/experience in the biological and chemical sciences. Are there many positions that will take advantage of both? What is the best way to overcome my time out of the nuke industry?

Thanks for any help!

Fermi2

Re: Ex Navy Nuke with B.S. in Biochemistry
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:22 »
Your experience as a Navy NUke is pretty much meaningless. In general the industry is getting away from Navy Nukes. Being an E-4 essentially not qualified anything doesnt help you at all. Considering the average Ex Naval guy is an E-6 with 9 to 10 years qualified EWS....

Your degree helps but isn't a game changer but it can't hurt. Put it this way, if I was hiring Navy guys an E-5 with experience trumps your degree.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014, 11:05 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline theurnhelm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:10 »
Your experience as a Navy NUke is pretty much meaningless. In general the industry is getting away from Navy Nukes. Being an E-4 essentially not qualified anything doesnt help you at all. Considering the average Ex Naval guy is an E-6 with 9 to 10 years qualified EWS....

Your degree helps but isn't a game changer but it can't hurt. Put it this way, if I was hiring Navy guys an E-5 with experience trumps your degree.

Thanks for the reply! My hands-on experience is limited for sure, and I'm not surprised it gives me little to no advantage over entry level. I think I'm more focused on whether or not positions exist that would see my science degree as an asset (beyond just having a degree, I mean - something that utilizes its focus). I've looked around job postings and can't find much, so I don't know if I'm just not looking hard enough.

On a side note - do you know why the industry is moving away from Navy nukes? Just curious.

Offline theurnhelm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:11 »
Perhaps your Biochemistry degree with a few more credits can transition to Health Physics?

http://www.tesc.edu/ast/bsast/Radiation-Protection.cfm

http://www.uml.edu/Sciences/physics/Programs-of-Study/Radiological-Sciences/Radiological-Health-Physics.aspx

Looking through these now, thank you. Initial thoughts are many of the req's should be covered with my degree. Worth looking into!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 »
Looking through these now, thank you. Initial thoughts are many of the req's should be covered with my degree. Worth looking into!

5 to 7 years down the road (maybe less) you can most likely sit for the ABHP Part 1 with your degree,....

after you certify, you have more opportunities, albeit you run the risk of appearing "overqualified" for that which you may most find yourself drawn to,...

look through here:

http://www.hps.org/

and here:

http://www.hps1.org/aahp/boardweb/abhphome.html

and here:

http://www.nrrpt.org/

and here:

http://www.nuclearconnect.org/in-the-classroom/for-students/careers

and here:

http://local.ans.org/mi/Teacher_CD/Intro%20Atomic%20Science/Health%20Physics.ppt

and lots and lots of breakroom material here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,251.0.html

you may need more hard physics along with your biochem, you will not be the first bio-intensive applicant to be wishing they had availed themselves of more of the physics curriculum whilst in college, IIRC, one of the bio-intensive hanchōs at ORAU made statements to that affect during an interview once upon a time,...

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014, 12:16 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:14 »
Thanks for the reply! My hands-on experience is limited for sure, and I'm not surprised it gives me little to no advantage over entry level. I think I'm more focused on whether or not positions exist that would see my science degree as an asset (beyond just having a degree, I mean - something that utilizes its focus). I've looked around job postings and can't find much, so I don't know if I'm just not looking hard enough.

On a side note - do you know why the industry is moving away from Navy nukes? Just curious.

There are probably non-nuclear (maybe non energy industry) careers that you would be able to better leverage your degree and military experience.  A bunch of our entry level ops guys have either fulfilled a complete Navy Nuke contract or have a degree directly related to the industry (engineering, physics, etc.).  BZ has a lot of experience and would have better perspective on why they're moving away from Navy Nukes, but at my plant there are still a good number of them getting hired (myself included).

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:17 »

Navy standards for knowledge and human performance are too low. It's easier to hire local people from a community college that the utilities have established, and for the most part the average Navy Nuke in the last 10 years is dumber than a box of rocks.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:20 »
BTW the fact you bucked up, handled your medical discharge then went out and got a degree in a scienticfic field does speak a lot about your character. In truth once you got an interview my guess is you could a job you seem like you handle yourself well and make the best of things. Odds are I would definitely consider you based on how you have presented  yourself here.  . The tough part is getting to that point.

Offline theurnhelm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:46 »

Navy standards for knowledge and human performance are too low. It's easier to hire local people from a community college that the utilities have established, and for the most part the average Navy Nuke in the last 10 years is dumber than a box of rocks.

That's what I figured. All these stories coming out about widespread cheating on continuous training exams haven't surprised me in the least bit - based on my two years on board, it's ubiquitous. If anything I'm surprised I haven't seen any stories about blazed qual cards or cooked books.

Thank you everyone for your help so far. It seems I've got some reading to do.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:07 »

A community college that takes warm bodies with money beats the entry criteria to enlist in the nuclear propulsion program ??? Veterans who undergo disciplinary training and commit to military service are less desirable employees than off the street. It may be better to hire locals that will not leave and to train specifically to the standards of a commercial power unit as opposed to a nuclear propulsion plant. However the argument of this generation of Navy Nukes isn't as good as the one I came from is an old and bogus one. I think you may have forgotten what it was like to transition. I felt the same way at one time but grew up and realized the biggest change was me not the people behind me, which by the way would be you.

:-\

[coffee]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:18 »
BTW the fact you bucked up, handled your medical discharge then went out and got a degree in a scienticfic field does speak a lot about your character. In truth once you got an interview my guess is you could a job you seem like you handle yourself well and make the best of things. Odds are I would definitely consider you based on how you have presented  yourself here.  . The tough part is getting to that point.

+K

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:39 »
  A community college that takes warm bodies with money beats the entry criteria to enlist in the nuclear propulsion program ??? Veterans who undergo disciplinary training and commit to military service are less desirable employees than off the street. It may be better to hire locals that will not leave and to train specifically to the standards of a commercial power unit as opposed to a nuclear propulsion plant. However the argument of this generation of Navy Nukes isn't as good as the one I came from is an old and bogus one. I think you may have forgotten what it was like to transition. I felt the same way at one time but grew up and realized the biggest change was me not the people behind me, which by the way would be you.

[coffee]

Are you suggesting that the problems and the underlying institutional turpitude were just as widespread when you served and are contemporary with your NNPP experience?!?!?!

If they were, I must have been fortunate to serve in a time when these things were not common or headlines,...

because you were before me and I was before 'zilla,...(a little before),...

U.S. Navy discloses nuclear exam cheating
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/04/us/navy-cheating-investigation/

Navy investigates accusations of test cheating aboard nuclear submarines
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/navy-investigates-accusations-of-test-cheating-aboard-nuclear-submarines/Content?oid=2186190

Nuclear Sub Cheating Scandal
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/09/22/the-submarine-nuclear-scandal.html

18 Ike sailors punished over exam
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20090223/NEWS/902230318/18-Ike-sailors-punished-over-exam

there's more,...do you really want to see it?!?!?!?! (I do not)

I'm not convinced the perception is as old and bogus as you believe it to be,...

What there is today may be doing the trick for Big Navy and for Big Navy's manning goals, that trick is not synonymous with today's NNPP program being comparable to yesterday's NNPP program in the key facets which 'zilla presented as falling shy of the commercial utilities expectations concerning the minimum technical capability of a contemporary NNPP alumni,...

Honor, duty, the demonstrated ability to show up on time and do what you are told are pretty much universal ex-military (except maybe USAF  :P ;) :) 8)) virtues and not NNPP exclusives, those virtues should help any applicant get hired, plus the "hire a vet" incentives and initiatives which abound these days,...

There are still a good number of college grads and even burger flippers (sometimes both in one skin) which adhere quite well to being on-time, listening well, implementing well and checking drama at the door,...

NNPP is not a free pass, it gets you a good look, not much more anymore,...
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014, 02:42 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:00 »

[coffee]

How many of the current generationof rocks have you had to interview for Ops positions? I dare say it is less than the 1000s I have done..
I had no issues with the transition. I took extra courses and was well qualified. At best the Navy Nuke program is an overrated technical school that partially teaches concepts on a very simple reactor.
On the OTHER hand the schools utilities have set up are commercial specific taught by SROs... I know which candidate I would choose..

Offline theurnhelm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:32 »

...At best the Navy Nuke program is an overrated technical school that partially teaches concepts on a very simple reactor...

"Partially teaches concepts" is right. Much of the pipeline when I went through (04-05) was focused on verbatim reproduction of notes with little to no further probing for actual understanding. If anything students were penalized for venturing off the beaten path, even if they still demonstrated understanding.

A problem may be that we are told over and over again how completing the pipeline is our meal ticket and people will line up to hire us when we get out.

Not to derail the conversation too much...

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:41 »
Your topic. Your choice to derail.

By problem you meant the individual problem right? When a Navy Chief tells you a job will be waitibng for you the first question you should ask is how would he know? He is still in the Navy...

Some of what the Navy teaches is straight up wrong but it fits conceptually.

Heck I didn't have all that much respect for what the Navy taght when I was in the Navy. I'm not about to start now.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:50 »

....A problem may be that we are told over and over again how completing the pipeline is our meal ticket and people will line up to hire us when we get out.

That motivation is weak,...

my motivation was to operate the engineering spaces of a nuclear submarine,...

that was always ever my motivation,...

anything else was just gravy,...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:58 »
Are you suggesting that the problems and the underlying institutional turpitude were just as widespread when you served and are contemporary with your NNPP experience?!?!?!

If they were, I must have been fortunate to serve in a time when these things were not common or headlines,...

Not the same only different. Yes there were problems not in the news from that time frame. President Carters son Chip was washed out for drugs. A chief and an first class were found smoking dope in the reactor compartment of a ship. Not many of the Navy's problems were publicized as they are now.

Not worse, not better only, different.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:08 »
How many of the current generationof rocks have you had to interview for Ops positions? I dare say it is less than the 1000s I have done..
All hail BZ the great and powerful, does not change my opinion, may even reinforce it with your general negative opinion of anything Navy.

On the OTHER hand the schools utilities have set up are commercial specific taught by SROs... I know which candidate I would choose..

I made that point in my response that does not mean that the exNavy personnel are as you say a box of rocks other than in your opinion. I remember my first entry to both a Navy and commercial plant I suspect I did not look or sound like a seasoned veteran either time. I learned as did you.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014, 04:09 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:14 »
A problem may be that we are told over and over again how completing the pipeline is our meal ticket and people will line up to hire us when we get out.

That has not changed over the years, this too shall pass.  ;)

Navy attitude and failure of some to adapt is remembered more than success stories such as BZs, GLWs, and mine and hopefully soon yours. Good luck!  8)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:26 »
Not the same only different. Yes there were problems not in the news from that time frame. President Carters son Chip was washed out for drugs. A chief and an first class were found smoking dope in the reactor compartment of a ship. Not many of the Navy's problems were publicized as they are now.

Not worse, not better only, different.

I thought it was Jack Carter that was discharged,...

If we stay with the "different" line of reasoning the problem in your day was a casual expectation for drug use,....

The problem these days is a casual expectation for qualification integrity,...

I have my druthers already mapped out,...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:28 »
   That has not changed over the years, this too shall pass.  ;)

Navy attitude and failure of some to adapt is remembered more than success stories such as BZs, GLWs, and mine and hopefully soon yours. Good luck!  8)

I may be more than skinny but I'm hardly plural,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:39 »
I may be more than skinny but I'm hardly plural,... :P ;) :) 8)

Is being a spelling Nazi a violation of Godwin's Law ???  [hitler]

New to the forum here, I apologize if this has been answered but I can't seem to find any relevant threads by searching.

theurnhelm, sorry about the hijack of the thread but there are some real clear bias's here, anyone civilian or Navy is starting out new in a commercial nuclear plant. Many recruiters still actively seek out exNavy nukes as a known commodity that can be marketed to several industry's including commercial power. BZ is just one story in the "Big City" and an excellent source of information but with a slant not shared by everyone.

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:28 »
Get into industrial hygiene or safety or environmental.  Thee are all kinds of certifications and courses in those fields, and your degree will be more useful.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:37 »
Is being a spelling Nazi a violation of Godwin's Law ???  [hitler]..........

well, spelling is the wrong arena,...

you are in the arena of grammar directed punctuation,...

and the lions are winning,...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?