Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New to the Forum and the Fleet

Author Topic: New to the Forum and the Fleet  (Read 6732 times)

Kamikage

New to the Forum and the Fleet
« on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:16 »
Hello. I just found this forum while I was searching for some other info and thought I might hang around. I like to find people who've experienced what I might have to go through and pick their brains. I thought I'd actually say 'hi' first off.

For background: I'm a nuclear EM, just finished Prototype in SC in Nov and am now on my first boat, a PCU. Right now, earning my fish will be my next big obstacle.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: New to the Forum and the Fleet
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:07 »
Hello. I just found this forum while I was searching for some other info and thought I might hang around. I like to find people who've experienced what I might have to go through and pick their brains. I thought I'd actually say 'hi' first off.

For background: I'm a nuclear EM, just finished Prototype in SC in Nov and am now on my first boat, a PCU. Right now, earning my fish will be my next big obstacle.

Welcome and thanks for your service. I sympathize on the ships quals I got to my first boat just before she entered the shipyard, it didn't get ugly until we left the yards and I was a nonqual on an operating boat and they expected me to catch up for lost time.

Good luck

Offline Grizzly757

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:28 »
Just a curiosity question. If one is put into this situation, can one request to go underway with a commissioned boat to do practical checkouts or is one just stuck until the boat they are assigned to gets commissioned?

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:04 »
Can't speak for the sub guys, but the 2 carriers I was on during overhaul we sent groups of non-quals out to operational carriers for prac facs.  Sent a Chief or First along to keep an eye on them and bring back a copy of the other carrier's card signers list for record purposes.

Best of luck, thank you for volunteering to serve and welcome to the club!

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:53 »
I just talked to a Submariner who just left the fleet. If your command will arrange it you can do this for your SS Quals. Not for your nuke quals.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:50 »
Just a curiosity question. If one is put into this situation, can one request to go underway with a commissioned boat to do practical checkouts or is one just stuck until the boat they are assigned to gets commissioned?
The silver dolphin qual card is solely knowledge based with the exception of damage control, which is available in-port, and qualifying an at-sea watchstation.

For boats in overhaul/extended availabilities, they'll typically send you on a ride to qualify if they're not due to become operational in the next 3 months or so, since you can't really do much anyway until you get qualified. They may even do this on the PCU depending on how long it has left to go out to sea, although it might not 'count' toward being qualified to actually stand watch on your current boat -- there are fine print rules in the EDM for quals during EOHs and PCUs that I don't remember. If it does count and you qualified the watches, you'll get a deletion letter, have to retake the final written qualification exam and do your final interview(s).
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2014, 12:06 by spekkio »

Kamikage

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:34 »
We've been told that they'll be sending us on ride-alongs when we start our quals. The command is still putting itself together.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:25 »
The silver dolphin qual card is solely knowledge based with the exception of damage control, which is available in-port, and qualifying an at-sea watchstation.

For boats in overhaul/extended availabilities, they'll typically send you on a ride to qualify if they're not due to become operational in the next 3 months or so, since you can't really do much anyway until you get qualified. They may even do this on the PCU depending on how long it has left to go out to sea, although it might not 'count' toward being qualified to actually stand watch on your current boat -- there are fine print rules in the EDM for quals during EOHs and PCUs that I don't remember. If it does count and you qualified the watches, you'll get a deletion letter, have to retake the final written qualification exam and do your final interview(s).

I would imagine Pre-Com would be fairly similar to EOH.  The qualifications work like this:  Each watchstation's qual card is broken up into different stages (i.e. dead electric, cold ops, hot ops, etc.).  One major difference between this process and normal is that qualification only qualifies you for the specific plant condition in the card, whereas normally it's a one and done type deal.  The first one will be the biggest since it will be qualifying you almost entirely on knowledge factors since there will be very few practical factors you will actually be able to do.  Then as the plant conditions change to allow more performs, you perform them and get them signed off on the next step up qual card.  This continues until the very end when you are officially fully certified the watchstation. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:22 »
Yea, I was more speaking to the fact that he'll probably go underway to get qualified/experience, then come back and the rules might say he has to be treated as if he never qualified. If that's the case he'll have to go through the process that you just described. It is frustrating, but at least hot ops/initial crit won't be the very first time he stands watch on an operational plant.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2014, 08:10 »
Typically on a PCU you will get a provisional qualification. During your initial quals, you will simulate everything you would normally perform and then you're officially qualified. Once the plant is up, you will have a certain amount of time (I'm not sure how long) during which you have to be observed actually performing everything, which is then signed on an addendum card. At least that's how it was done when I was on a PCU back in the 90's, that was also a carrier, not a sub.

Offline Bob T

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 »
... just finished Prototype in SC in Nov and am now on my first boat, a PCU. Right now, earning my fish will be my next big obstacle.

Were you on the MTS that used to be Sam Rayburn?  I left my laundry bag in AMR2UL when I was leaving in 1970; wonder if you saw it around anywhere.
:)

Kamikage

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:42 »
Were you on the MTS that used to be Sam Rayburn?  I left my laundry bag in AMR2UL when I was leaving in 1970; wonder if you saw it around anywhere.
:)

Sorry, man. I was on the ex-Weber.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?