Career Path > Coming Back

Reentering Nuclear Plant Operations

(1/1)

ascend68:
Would appreciate some general thoughts and considerations for someone reentering nuclear ops. Long-term viability of the industry. Is it still a career that you can start and see through to retirement? Thanks.

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: ascend68 on Mar 17, 2014, 02:31 ---Would appreciate some general thoughts and considerations for someone reentering nuclear ops. Long-term viability of the industry. Is it still a career that you can start and see through to retirement? Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Just my take...and I'm NOT in ops...but:

Yes, I think you could work ops until you retire.  However, plants do close, so you might end up having to change plants at some point.

That being said, your ease of returning to the industry will be heavily affected by how much experience you have, and how long you have been out of the industry.  I only had a couple of years I&C when I decided to take a couple of years off.  Industry went from talking-about-a-'renaissance' when I started my sabbatical to plants-closing-everywhere and everyone-scrambling-for-a-chair-when-the-music-stopped when I came back...so I'm not getting any I&C offers and had to grab a 'chair' in another department.

Good luck with your decision.  :)

Xenon_Free:
My general philosophy has always been - the closer you are to the reactor the better the job security.  Ops is pretty close, but RP is closer... And they will be at the station even if they shut the place down.  I would not give up my job since I am lucky and love what I do.  How much do you want it?

I believe this industry still has life in it, others do not.  Our industry is tied to politics and our performance (world wide). We will succeed or fail together.  Just my opinion.

XF

GLW:

--- Quote from: Xenon_Free on Mar 18, 2014, 08:37 ---
..........but RP is closer...

I believe this industry still has life in it,...........

--- End quote ---

well at least half a life,..... maybe 150 years for some,.. 10,000 for a few,...... :P ;) :) 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version