Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Physics Degree

Author Topic: Physics Degree  (Read 9069 times)

Orange

Physics Degree
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 10:46 »
I'm new to the board...

I'm getting a physics degree, I graduate in less than two years...

Applying all over the place for internships for next summer,

But I haven't really got any idea what job I am looking for.  All I know is I want a job that moves me around a lot.

Any ideas?

-Orange

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Physics Degree
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:00 »
I'm getting a physics degree, I graduate in less than two years...

Applying all over the place for internships for next summer,

But I haven't really got any idea what job I am looking for.  All I know is I want a job that moves me around a lot.

Any ideas?

-Orange

Anchors aweigh, my boy!

(A nuke officer position will get the wandering out of your system!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:17 »
20 some odd years I got a Physics degree.  At the time a BS in physics didn't get you much.   I found out about HP .  Best part was that the all the equations finally gave a number at the end instead of just more equations.  Then  I started as a junior and better yet found that most of the calculations were BS cause you didn't have to calculate a dose rate -- you could measure it.  I never looked back.  Its not a bad way to make a living.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010, 06:31 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 11:14 »
One other comment about the Physics degree.  When I was in school my professors told me that "companies treated physics degrees the same as engineering".  At least in nuclear power that is not true.  Engineers are fast tracked into management.  Personally I prefer to be a technician.  However if you want management swap to engineering.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 07:25 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

rysics

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2005, 07:03 »
I got my Math/Physics degree in 2001 and did research for about 4 years.  Got really bored and went back to work as a RCT for the Department of Defense (I was a Navy Nuc in the early 90's).  I haven't seen much in the way of jobs directly associated with Physics outside of acadamia (spelling....I've been at work for 10 hours and its O'dark 30).  What I have seen/heard is that the complex problem solving skill you get from Physics will apply almost anywhere.  The MASS majority of my classmates have been VERY successful, even those that went outside of their degree have risen rapidly in their fields. 

Someone said it in an earlier post about engineers (you know...the people that kept asking for help in your engineering physics courses) went into management...I've found that to be true, once you get them off a piece of paper they seem to get rather flustered  ;D.  I'm glad that I stayed with Physics...it gives you a wide range of things to look at, while engineering seems to be a more direct line up it appears to "lock" you into a direction...just what I've seen.   That and Engineers are twerps LOL...."figure out your own damn integral...sheesh"

Best of luck

Ryan

Buddy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2010, 10:05 »
That and Engineers are twerps LOL...."figure out your own damn integral...sheesh"

The limit (engineering) as gpa ---> 0 = a physics degree  8)

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2010, 01:47 »
Physics majors can also probably get hired into the core design group at either a utility or a vendor.  Neither job typically involves moving around a lot.

Iceman24601

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:42 »
Where I work, we love/hate to hire Physics Majors.  We love the fact that it takes a special type of person to earn a Physics Degree... usually someone pretty darn smart and determined.  The problem is that you can't take a Physics Major, put him/her in a cookie-cutter job, tell them "this is how it is", and expect them to remain happy.  The Physics Majors we have are always questioning the "machinery" and won't stop until they get an answer they like.  Don't get me wrong, you need people who try to make things better and/or more efficient.  My problem is that some of these people spend more time asking questions (often irrelevent) than actually doing the job they were hired to do.  If you are thinking of hiring a Physics Major (or are one) just be aware that they are always thinking and breaking down the situation in their heads.  They can be a major headache for managment but they can also be some of the best employees you ever have. ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?