Career Path > Coming Back

Outage Safety Work

(1/2) > >>

safety13114:
Hello all,
 I am recently retired after 33 years at Novelis Aluminum as the Health and Safety Leader. I am interested in working safety at Nuclear outages. The roadblock I am facing is " No Nuclear employment without experience, No experience without Nuclear employment" loop. Does anyone have any suggestions, everyone tells me that I need to get badged, but this is hard! I have a lot of safety experience as well as electrical background.
 Thanks for your comments!

Chimera:
Oh yeah - outage safety.  That's where you spend most of your time in your office and, on those rare occasions when you do go out into the plant, you ignore what you see until the job is done so you don't impact the outage schedule.

GLW:

--- Quote from: Chimera on Mar 24, 2014, 09:29 ---Oh yeah - outage safety.  That's where you spend most of your time in your office and, on those rare occasions when you do go out into the plant, you ignore what you see until the job is done so you don't impact the outage schedule.

--- End quote ---

OP - check your PMs,..

Chimera - RP/HP types getting on the case of safety types?!?!?!?!?

that's rich brother,.....truly rich,..... :P ;) :) 8)

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Enjoy the Day!!!!!

mars88:
Either enjoy your retirement.

But if you really must work, get into another area--avoid commercial nuke.

There is plenty of H&S work all over the place that doesn't require security clearances or FFD or travel, or a lot of the other commercial nuke idiosynchrosies, and with the right certs you should be able to slide in easily.

Chimera:

--- Quote from: GLW on Mar 24, 2014, 09:33 ---Chimera - RP/HP types getting on the case of safety types?!?!?!?!?

that's rich brother,.....truly rich,..... :P ;) :) 8)

Enjoy the Day!!!!!

--- End quote ---

The general topic of safety in the work place has been a pet peeve of mine for decades.  It doesn't matter if it's at a commercial nuke, DOE, Navy, construction or working on the railroad . . . I've yet to see any organization that practices what it preaches although, to give credit where credit is due, the railroad comes the closest.  Ultimately, safety in any environment is an individual responsibility but that isn't how it seems to play out in the field - especially when outage schedules are on the line.

You can laugh all you want but I exercise that individual responsibility every day - and go home safely every night.  And insofar as my responsibilities in radiaiton safety are concerned, you don't want to be there when I HAVE to earn my paycheck because that means someone else didn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version